Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rcbs .44 Keith type molds

I just bought this mold from GRAFs two weeks ago and it shoots good in my 44's.

Hard to tell which version I got though.

I decided to go with the RCBS mold vs the LYMAN 429421 because of recent undersized bullet issues with Lyman.

Mine casts @ 432-433" with WW alloy.

Boolit Master
    reader:

RCBS did the same thing with the 44-250-KT (SWC) for a few years ! One version had an extremely narrow front band ! Another has a rounded lube groove ! LYMAN was also bad about mucking with good designs as well !

I may have an extra 44-250-K in the stash. I will check and let you know.

Jerry
    Last edited by GLL; 04-03-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

They should change product number if they change the design. Then there wouldn't be confusion. I left feedback to RCBS.

I will be happy to buy one if you have extra!

Boolit Master

Pity, isn't it. Their moulds in and of themselves are very nice, too.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Red Leg View Post
    OK boys, it is after 0100 and I need to get some sleep and think about this.......I think I hace a few more questions!
    Well, gents, it looks like we have hooked another fellow on the dreaming of custom cast boolit designs!!

Quote Originally Posted by reader View Post
    I recently bought RCBS mold 44-250-K, product number #82080.

I wanted to get the one displayed by GLL (see the link in this thread or the third in the photo, post #17) or shown by Handloader few years ago. To my disappointment the design was changed. The front band is shorter, about 0.080, middle and rear bands are about 0.100, grease groove shorter. Look at the photo. Too bad the original mold design is not available anymore. I am thinking to get rid of this new mold.
    Quote Originally Posted by reader View Post
    They should change product number if they change the design. Then there wouldn't be confusion. I left feedback to RCBS.

I will be happy to buy one if you have extra!
    reader,
    The boolit that you want is RCBS product number 82044. Jerry (GLL) is not only a marvelous photographer and caster, but he's a generous and smart fellar too! He sent me a few handfuls of all the different designs when I was working on my custom Heavy Keith Group Buy mould. It was the RCBS Product # 82044 that has THE classic Keith shape and design. Mine was pretty much a copy of it, with a slight modification to the crimp groove and wider drive bands. It ended up right at 267grs out of WW +1% tin. Here's an artists rendering of the design:

I happen to have a couple of those moulds left over from the group buy. (They're Lee, 6-cavity, aluminum.) If reader or Sgt. Red Leg would like one, I'll give you guys first shot. (Like to help out folks new to the site who show real/advanced interest, and didn't have the chance to get in on the group buy! )
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks MMA10 for the offer! Monday I received arcbs mould I had ordered some time back. It is P/N 82043 and listed as a 245 gr. I will attempt to get some cast and loaded soon. This mold does have a flat bottom lube grove. We will see what my 4" Ruger Russian and my Kid's 6" #3 S&Ws think of it. I have had real good luck w/my range lead in .44 and .41 mag (I used to carry 217 gr. spuds for duty ammo back in the Deputy Dog days). Wheel weights will be tried also.
    Thanks for the ideas and info~~~~like I said~~~~I am gonna like this site!
    Sgt R.L.
    R.A.T.S. #381
    Sgt. Red Leg
    NRA Benefactor #17260151
    SASS Life #5906
    R.A.T.S. #381
    G.A.F. #685
    Ruger Collector #9142
    M1 Garand Collecter #21959
    California Rifle & Pistol Association Life #16436

Boolit Master
    Just for reference the RCBS#82044 MMA10mm mentioned is the RCBS 44-250-KT (SWC).

Jerry

S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Thank you for the nice offer MakeMineA10mm but I must pass this time. A while ago I got Mihec H&G #503, now I was trying for the 44-250-K and I have some old Ideal and Lyman too.