Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a .444 load

Boolit Master

Ahhh... another 444nut! I shoot three Marlins; a 444 current production, 444P (carbine), and 444T (longrifle favorite). I also shoot three bullets of my design; the TLC432-265-RF and a 300 and 350 grain version of it. As has been mentioned; H322, H335, and H4198 are great powders for sending a big chunk of lead downrange. Welcome to the 444!
    Michael

Boolit Master

Just as a side note. Remington has never offered the 240-grain JSP they use in factory ammo as a reloading component. The 240-grain they do offer is designed for the 44 Mag, it is not the same bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    Craig,

I'm covered up to 350 Gr. but wanna get a 375 and 400gr mold. If you could only have one of each, which woulf you go with?

I can't remember a GB for either of these on here, do you think they would go?
    BRP has the cherries for both of the ones he cut for me . And I think a 2 cavity will more then likely cost you $75 plus shipping . These both have the RD profile but with normal lube grooves .

The Mountain Molds 375 and 400 work fine and the LBT in both weights work fine . But I think the BRP/RD molds I had cut were the better of the three designs ! And again nothing against the other two I just like those BRP/RD molds better ! It is my plan to field test both weights from all three makers on deer and or black bear . I killed my first ever black bear this past august with the Mountain Molds 433-375GC bullet and it did a marvelouse job ! Of course a 375 grain bullet to the temple of a 125 pound bruin at 9 1/2 yards doesn't take a whole heck of alot !!!!

Here's BRP's contact info from their website !

I have three of Bruce's molds and all are top notch !

http://www.brp.castpics.net/Contact.html
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 12-19-2010 at 03:54 PM.
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    I shoot three bullets of my design; the TLC432-265-RF and a 300 and 350 grain version of it !
    When I get back from PI in february I'm gonna see if I can't make a few the BRP/RD 432-375GC and 432-400GC and send them to you to try in your cannons !

While they're not your preferred tumble lube groove the noses are the same as yours !

So whats it take to get a 300 grain mold from ya?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by grubbylabs View Post
    So whats it take to get a 300 grain mold from ya?
    It is very easy, go to my website and buy it. You will have it in a couple of days.
    Michael

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    BRP has the cherries for both of the ones he cut for me . And I think a 2 cavity will more then likely cost you $75 plus shipping . These both have the RD profile but with normal lube grooves .

The Mountain Molds 375 and 400 work fine and the LBT in both weights work fine . But I think the BRP/RD molds I had cut were the better of the three designs ! And again nothing against the other two I just like those BRP/RD molds better ! It is my plan to field test both weights from all three makers on deer and or black bear . I killed my first ever black bear this past august with the Mountain Molds 433-375GC bullet and it did a marvelouse job ! Of course a 375 grain bullet to the temple of a 125 pound bruin at 9 1/2 yards doesn't take a whole heck of alot !!!!

Here's BRP's contact info from their website !

I have three of Bruce's molds and all are top notch !

http://www.brp.castpics.net/Contact.html
    Great, thanks Craig!

Figure the 375gr would be max in the 444T but I do have the 444P that has the faster twist. Have you tried the 400Gr in a 444P? Wondering if the 18.5" barrel takes too much velocity to stabilize the 400gr. even with the fast twist.

Boolit Buddy

It is very easy, go to my website and buy it. You will have it in a couple of days.
    Michael,

Is the 350gr as heavy as you plan to go for the 444?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    Great, thanks Craig!

Have you tried the 400Gr in a 444P? Wondering if the 18.5" barrel takes too much velocity to stabilize the 400gr. even with the fast twist.
    When Olle (405WCF) originally sent me some of his 400 grain bullets I tried them in a 444P I had with very promising results !

Later I had a kinda copy made of his bullet at Mountain Molds . Only problem with that bullet is I've yet to find a top punch to really fir the nose . Every time I size/lube I score all the way around the nose !

If it is not obvious I am very new to guns/reloading/casting and so on. So if I can please let me ask another question as well,

Given the rifle Winchester 94 unsure of the vintage because the record keeping by Winchester is crappy, how heavy would you recommend I go with it? I have read that the older rifles don't stabilize the heavy bullets well.

Thanks for your help

Here are some pics of my lever,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0021.jpg   IMG_0020.jpg   IMG_0018.jpg  

Boolit Master
    If it is not obvious I am very new to guns/reloading/casting and so on. So if I can please let me ask another question as well,

Given the rifle Winchester 94 unsure of the vintage because the record keeping by Winchester is crappy, how heavy would you recommend I go with it? I have read that the older rifles don't stabilize the heavy bullets well.

Thanks for your help
    The rifling thing is just for Marlin's !

It doesn't have any bearing on the Winchesters in 444 !

Marlin made slow twist Micro Groove barrels in the 444 from 1965 until 1998 I think . They were 1:34 , while the post 1998 rifles were ballard rifled and 1:20 I believe .

The Winchester 94's in 444 had the same type rifling and the same twist their entire production time !

Thanks 6pt

So is it only the micro groove that is the problem? My Lyman book says the gun is a 1:38 twist.

Boolit Master
    Thanks 6pt

So is it only the micro groove that is the problem? My Lyman book says the gun is a 1:38 twist.
    Actually Micro Groove isn't a problem if you have bullets that are large enough to fit the bore and hard enough to hold the shallow rifling !

Once you get over say 325 grains you need to give them the gas to stabalize !

I've had very decent results with bullets up to 375 grains in Micro barrels . And all I had to do was water quench my wheel weight alloy bullets and then poor the coal to them so to speak with a powder like H322 , RL-7 , H335 , XMR2015 or Varget !

If you desire to shoot 400 grainers in a Micro barrel you will more then likely have problems . But then how many folks actually NEED a 400 grain bullet in a 444 ? Or for that matter a 375 or 350 grain bullet either

By no means do I actually need a bullet any heavier then the Ranch Dog 432-265GC ! But I sure like messing with all those others when the inclanation strikes me !

Boolit Buddy

When Olle (405WCF) originally sent me some of his 400 grain bullets I tried them in a 444P I had with very promising results !

Later I had a kinda copy made of his bullet at Mountain Molds . Only problem with that bullet is I've yet to find a top punch to really fir the nose . Every time I size/lube I score all the way around the nose !

You may check with Buckshot, he has a kit that he makes that works quite well for hard to fit nose punches.

Actually Micro Groove isn't a problem if you have bullets that are large enough to fit the bore and hard enough to hold the shallow rifling !

Once you get over say 325 grains you need to give them the gas to stabalize !

I've had very decent results with bullets up to 375 grains in Micro barrels . And all I had to do was water quench my wheel weight alloy bullets and then poor the coal to them so to speak with a powder like H322 , RL-7 , H335 , XMR2015 or Varget !

If you desire to shoot 400 grainers in a Micro barrel you will more then likely have problems . But then how many folks actually NEED a 400 grain bullet in a 444 ? Or for that matter a 375 or 350 grain bullet either

By no means do I actually need a bullet any heavier then the Ranch Dog 432-265GC ! But I sure like messing with all those others when the inclanation strikes me !
    So if I stay 300 or less I should not have any problems.

Realistically I think this gun will mostly be used as a "Guide Gun" , I have a friend who goes with me archery hunting at least once a year and it will make a great gun for him to carry. I also anticipate lots of time at the range with it as well since it has been so much fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    So if I stay 300 or less I should not have any problems.
    The Ranch Dog 300 or 350 will work fine in your rifle . You shouldn't have problems with either of them !

Boolit Master

6pt-sika (and DaveD, if this applies) --

I never seem to have the right top-punch when it's time to size, or I get tired of changing the top-punch in my lubrisizer, so out of laziness and cheapness, along with a healthy dose of serendipity, I learned that ifyou are using a flat-nosed boolit, and you are careful to get the base of it located correctly in the sizer (something you must do anyway, even with a "fitted" nose punch), a simple, flat nose-punch in the lubri-sizer will push almost all of our boolits through the sizer die. I only change out top punches anymore for RN bullet. All the rest (regardless of how big or small the meplat is) just get pressed down into the lubri-sizer with the flat-nosed punch.

This had two side benefits I hadn't considered:

1. No more ring around the nose of the boolit from the nose-punch (something I'm still trying to solve for some of my RN boolits...), and
    2. It helps concentricity. I noticed this, but just thought it was me and the way I operated my sizer, but then I ran across a note over at Accurate Molds' website, where Tom wrote that he found that almost no lubri-sizer he ever used was concentric between the sizer die and the ram-arm (where the top punch goes), and therefore, he recommends (and makes) flat top-punches, so the boolit, as it gets shoved into the sizer die, can slide a little bit latterally in order to "find it's own center."

Those flat nose top punches are a four-way improvement, as far as I'm concerned. My RNs I will deal with until I get to a nose-first lubri-sizer again...
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

"Moderator Emeritus"

"Those flat nose top punches are a four-way improvement, as far as I'm concerned. My RNs I will deal with until I get to a nose-first lubri-sizer again... "

I have veeen using a flat top punch on all my cast boolits for some time now, even the RN ones. All it does is bump a small metaplat on a RN bullet, I can see no difference in how they preform

grubby labs;
    I have quite a few of the original RD 265's cast up out of water dropped WW, I can send you some to try if you like. I also have one of the Lee six bangers of the RD 300's from that abortion of a group buy sitting in the cabinet never have used it. I think it is the second version, Lee 310 nose on a RD body. Planning on running some tests after the first of the year, could send you some of them after I get them cast.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Wow thanks this is the most help I have received of a forum you guys are awesome.