Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New experiment why my handi rifle

Now after talking to a lot of people the main that could be giving me problems is the fact the barrels aren't stress relieved

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    I just remembered, one of my sight base screws were long and it allowed the base to slop around a little.
    In the end it worked loose and would group all over the place.
    Fooled me for ages
    The base is now affixed with two pack epoxy and the right length screws.

The head ache and anxiety have subsided.
    But maybe a little greyer and balder for wear.

Best I could offer would be throw the barrel in the bbq and bake for a while.
    Maybe rotate and baste it with something once in a while.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 12-29-2023 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    I actually haven't measured any one it, really dont have too much of a clue to be fair . Got the alloy for another gun remembered someone recommending I chamber cast this one ,poured it then was kinda just staring there looking at like " umm....now what" that being said since this thing fire forms short instead of the brass growing I figured the chamber is sloppy or something so will probably just pull up the standard SAMMI print for .223 and compare measurements. That being said I think I need a micrometer for that to be semi accurate

As for the bore cam if if go to the 5min mark here you'll be able to see a quick view of the bore. Obvious tooling marks and something else, not sure if it's one kinda stress cracking or what
    https://youtu.be/xj6AJDUQieE?si=_zttzD1Sb6EfjYRE

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    So at the 6 minute mark your looking at bore damage and asking if it is rust. That is what corrosion damage looks like. People store guns dirty and without any oil and that is what happens. I've seen a lot of that in many different barrels.

Based on that, you're going to get flyers. It is what it is.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    What I like about single shots is that most are light, compact, and simple as dirt. Perfect woods stalking rifle and you don't have to worry about whether a particular boolit will feed or not. Far as getting a single shot to keep up with a good bolt action accuracy wise, I know it can be done but minute of deer/coyote at any reasonable range is all I require of them. If Kentucky permits single shot cartridge guns during muzzleloader season that will be another reason to like them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I must have got lucky when I bought my NEF 223 back in the day. Guessing I bought it around 95’ new. It shot the same hole at 100 yards with sone goofy bulk 55 grain moly coated soft points I bought bulk in a vac sealed bag. I sold it shortly afterwards and bought it back two years ago. I think I ever cleaned it and I know my buddy didn’t. The scope was broke so I put another Tasco on it. A cheap 6-24 sportsman vs the defective 4x German recital it had on it. I zeroed it in with 60 grain vmax hand loads for my other rifles. It shot three that all either went in the same hole or touched at 100 yards. I shot a 200 yard group after that. I have a five shot 1 1/4” group at 200 yards! The trigger is heavy. I’ll have to see if I can remove it and try to lighten it. Had a bi pod on mine back in the day. I don’t remember if I ever shot it with on or not. Just shot it off the range supplied bags back in the day and off my lead sled to zero my new optic. I love shooting that rifle! Wish I had my old 410 back from around 81’…and my 10 gauge screw in short barreled turkey version. I had a 243 ultra varmint as well but never shot it before trading it for. VLS in 243.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-06-2024 at 11:03 PM.

One thing the Hani rifle invites is a stub barrel change out, if you have a shop. Cut the old in front of the block, drill, ID thread, new barrel, turn to major, OD thread to match, chamber, etc.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I’m probably gonna go on the hunt for one of those short barrel 10 gauges with the chokes again along with early 80s model late 70s in a 410. I might have to do some horse trading if somebody’s got one of the old 10 gauges from the 90s with a screw in choke and short barrel and half to part with one of other guns I don’t use either.lol. Maybe that octagon Flobert I restored would be a good even trade. I was given a 10 gauge barrel that was short, but wasn’t choked. It wouldn’t work on my 223 or 12 gauge that I just sold off. I could’ve made it fit, but the barrel diameter would’ve overlapped the receiver.

I pulled mine out of the safe today. I know I never cleaned it and sold it to a buddy who never cleaned it and he ever shot it after I sold it to him. We took it out twice when I owned it to shoot it, and that was it. When I got it back two years ago, I took it out once after mounting a new optic. I zero it and shot it about a dozen times. I remembered the shells didn’t fly out and eject. I gave it a quick cleaning today and polished the chamber. Tested it with an empty shell and it flew right out. My serial number says what I remember when I bought it now which was 1995. I remember it because I bought it right when I bought my second house and had it sitting on the wooden floor on a bipod right after I bought the house. I tried to test the trigger and it bottomed out my 4 pound scale and had a little bit more pull after that so it’s got a good heavy break. I would think it’s gotta be around 5 pounds, or a little more, if I had to guess. Takes a pretty good yank to break. My goal was is to check the ejector today with cleaning the barrel and polishing the chamber. Fourth week turkey hunting starts tomorrow so I figure once I get my bird I have a whole week to play with it and take it apart and try and see if I can get that trigger lighter.

It still looks like brand spanking new, except for one scuff mark on the stock that’s about half the size of a dime. Not even scratched it’s like it just kinda wore off. Maybe it got rubbed in the safe or maybe that’s the way it was when I got it. I have some true oil that I’ll have to apply over that spot.

I wonder if I could just find a 410 barrel and try and make it fit on the 223 receiver?

Boolit Master
    Crap shoot, I have been buying every reasonable (cheap, rusted, cut))shotgun barrel I see for all the stub projects in my head. Some are perfect on one and a few of the others fit those and some I don't know what I am going to do with them other than cut the lug off. GB parts kits, you feeling lucky?

My stock is awful shiny…I wonder if they varnished or tru oiled it? I don’t remember it be being that shiny from factory? Maybe it was? It’s easy enough it give it some love with 0000 steel wool if I want to knock it down to satin.

More I google it I see some shiny stock so I would assume it came that way from factory? It’s been decades since I’ve seen it so I just don’t remember. There’s no scratches where that spot is so I’m gonna try and clean it up with some rubbing alcohol once I get a chance after turkey seasons over in a few weeks and just try and apply a little true oil over that spot to try and blend it in so it’s got some finish over it. Almost looks like it must’ve sat against something and rubbed off. It’s weird. It’s like the wood itself. Doesn’t have any scratching or where it’s the shiny finish that’s missing about the size of a quarter at max. The rest of the stock in the fore end looks like shiny brand new yet. If it doesn’t turn out, it’s easy enough to refinish. I just don’t wanna have to…if I don’t have to.

I’ll have to also make a couple of wood blocks to hold the receiver and put some blue painters tape over it to try and tap the pins out so I can perform a trigger job to. Never did it before, but after googling it, it doesn’t look that hard. The biggest issue will be getting those darn splined pins out. Just went through this on my browning gold because there was no teardown for the trigger group and I had a splined pin that I didn’t know and of course pounded it out the opposite way. It didn’t make any difference because the part was broke to begin with so lesson learned.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-09-2024 at 09:07 AM.

You got me fired up to mess with mine! I know it shoots good, but I still am a firm believer in floating the barrel… even though there’s “barrel lug”. Did some reading over at Gray beards forum about using a rubber O-ring around the barrel log to float the fore end. Mine was definitely touching on one side…or both. I read a couple guys over there used metal washers instead of the rubber O-rings. Figure that would be more of a firm foundation. I grabbed the nearest thing I had since I didn’t have any washers. I found some shelf brackets and fabricated them really quick with the drillbit and broke them off. Put one in first and I had one side of the barrel touching yet and it was super tight with the paper test on the side that was clear. I made another washer and stacked it on the first one and retested. Definitely enough clearance now. Those little brackets actually fit perfectly in there and almost wedge in place so they don’t move around. I also pushed the hammer forward with quite amount of force several times and pulled the trigger while catching the front of the hammer so I wouldn’t dry fire it. I don’t have a trigger pull gauge where I’m at, but I can tell you it’s a lot lighter now. I’ll have to test it on my pull gauge. I’m sure I’ll end up taking it apart and stoning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Crap shoot, I have been buying every reasonable (cheap, rusted, cut))shotgun barrel I see for all the stub projects in my head. Some are perfect on one and a few of the others fit those and some I don't know what I am going to do with them other than cut the lug off. GB parts kits, you feeling lucky?
    What I have done on a few barrels that were loose on the frames I have is put them in the mill vice on there side and line the pivot point up with a 3/8 endmill. Change it out to a 5/8” and punch it through slowly. Then I turn a bushing out of cut off pieces of 4140 barrels to 5/8” OD and leave the ID a little under 3/8”. Then silver solder it on to the underlug trim off the extra and refit to the frame you want it to fit.
    Jedman