Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Full-bore Lyman Sabot slug design

Boolit Bub

Full-bore Lyman Sabot slug design

Hey guys,
    Its my first post here since registering on the site finally after skimming and peeking into the forums for the past few months. A few months ago on Castboolits.com I had stumbled across and saved a drawing for a for a full-bore Lyman Sabot type .730" slug. I'm trying to find locate the thread on the forums but its seems to have disappeared, even trying contact the guy who came up with this! Can someone tell me who came up with this mold design? Any help would be appreciated! Its great to finally be a part of the Silver Stream Society!!

Thank you all for your time, have a nice day!

Regards,

Zubin
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Super Moderator

.....................A bump, to help out a new member.

...................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

Try a search for turbo1889. He has done a lot of slug designing and testing. Looks like something he might have put together.

Boolit Master
    That does indeed look like a turbo1889 pic. I couldn't track down the thread though.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I don't recall the thread, but that design as full bore doesn't seen like a good idea. Lube? Are you wanting that for a smooth bore or rifled barrel?

For a rifled barrel I would consult with Tom at Accurate Molds, or at least look at his catalog
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=10

I've shot full diameter slugs from my rifled 870 and have an NEI mold. It kinda looks like a collar button and is designated .734-570, but casts closer to 605gr in 25-1.

Tom's 73-700 is only 40gr heavier that the modified Lyman sabot slug design, so would be my choice for a rifled barrel.

If you're wanting to shoot from a cyl bore smoothbore, the existing Lyman in a shotshell wad/sabot works. If you're trying to eliminate the wad, a .73 roundball will work and can be made to shoot pretty accurately, rifled or smooth, and will be easier to cast. There are existing threads on shooting roundballs, and THIS thread should be under "casting for shotguns".

Super Moderator

................The OP PM'd me about possibly making him a mould to this design. I'm not a mould maker and I refered him to Mountain Moulds or Tom at Accurate. I see the OP hasn't been back and I'd bumped it as a courtesy as his post had gone to the 2nd page.

In his PM to me he said he had a 25" Rifled bbl on the way and was going to use it on a Greener Martini action.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Yes, I am the original source of the prints in question. Whether or not the mold in question was ever built or not I do not know since another forum member requested the dimensions of the Lyman 525 slug mold to scale it for a different gauge size then 12ga. I don't remember exactly which one he asked about but I took the measurements and then used a spreadsheet program to produce a table of dimensions to cover several different gauge sizes (with a spread sheet program it is just as easy to do a bunch of different gauges as it is to do just one).

I did it both for a wad-slug to go inside the shot cup of a plastic shot wad and as a full bore diameter slug. I know that because of the depth of the middle wasp-waist neither Tom @ Accurate Molds or Dan @ Mountain Molds are set-up with the cababilities to produce the design. You would need to use a custom mold cutter that uses the cherry cutting method due to the wasp-waist.

Here are the original prints and tables I put in that thread many years ago. All I did was take the measurements and produce tables scaling the existing Lyman 525 design up and down:

This is the wad-slug version (to go inside shot cup on plastic shot wad):

This is the full bore version:

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ................The OP PM'd me about possibly making him a mould to this design. I'm not a mould maker and I refered him to Mountain Moulds or Tom at Accurate. I see the OP hasn't been back and I'd bumped it as a courtesy as his post had gone to the 2nd page.

In his PM to me he said he had a 25" Rifled bbl on the way and was going to use it on a Greener Martini action.

................Buckshot
    Rick!

That bump has really helped get some attention, thank you! You have a PM!

Boolit Bub

Smile

Turbo1889,

Its good to have found the original source for the slug! I cannot believe that a mold was never made and this design never tested! Compared to other full-bore designs, this will have lesser bearing area inside the bore, but would this affect stability once out the barrel? Should work well in a smooth-bore too, but that's just my guess. Will keep this thread posted on the progress once I can get the mold cut out.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo1889 View Post
    Yes, I am the original source of the prints in question. Whether or not the mold in question was ever built or not I do not know since another forum member requested the dimensions of the Lyman 525 slug mold to scale it for a different gauge size then 12ga. I don't remember exactly which one he asked about but I took the measurements and then used a spreadsheet program to produce a table of dimensions to cover several different gauge sizes (with a spread sheet program it is just as easy to do a bunch of different gauges as it is to do just one).

I did it both for a wad-slug to go inside the shot cup of a plastic shot wad and as a full bore diameter slug. I know that because of the depth of the middle wasp-waist neither Tom @ Accurate Molds or Dan @ Mountain Molds are set-up with the cababilities to produce the design. You would need to use a custom mold cutter that uses the cherry cutting method due to the wasp-waist.

Here are the original prints and tables I put in that thread many years ago. All I did was take the measurements and produce tables scaling the existing Lyman 525 design up and down:

This is the wad-slug version (to go inside shot cup on plastic shot wad):

This is the full bore version:

Boolit Grand Master

Take a look at the thread by goodsteel titled " I made a good mould today and yesterday " it looks a lot like the one pictured. Perhaps he would make one for you. I was really impressed with his work and the design seems to shoot well.
    check out the thread.

I found the thread from the information provided above. Here is a direct link to it:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=146715

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo1889 View Post
    I found the thread from the information provided above. Here is a direct link to it:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=146715
    That's gonna slap whatever it hits into next week!