WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22 lr bpcr !!

Boolit Master

.22 lr bpcr !!

My David Mos mold showed up on my door step yesterday, and 30 minutes after getting home I was pouring my first .22 boolits. Tricky little mold to keep up to temperature, but the 50 I cast are perfect little pills showing no parting lines or defects. They drop from the mold at .225" This is the mold group buy that W30WCF put together earlier in the year.

My initial idea was to tumble lube them, but not having any on hand I decided to take advantage of the little lube grooves and pan lube them with my usual BPCR lube. Pan lubing these little guys was surprisingly easy, and the lube took to the grooves nicely. The rest of the boolit has a nice waxy feeling to it from being handled in the process. Here's the 50 lubed up next to the Armscor primed cases I picked up earlier in the year.

I used the tip of a pen as a flaring tool to just barely put a flare in the case, then filled the case to the brim with Swiss 4f black powder. A weighing confirms 4.5 grains of 4f as previously reported by W30WCF. The little boolit is then pressed on top and slid into the .225 hole of my Paco Accurizer. I have my Schmidt arbor press adjusted so the stroke is the finished bullet length. A quick ram home seats the boolit and swages the flared case to a tight seal. The Paco tool works really nice for this application, but I need to make a proper plunger so I dont get the dimple on the boolit nose from the Paco Nastinose punch. I had the 50 loaded up in short order ready to be tested. All in all - several hours invested in loading up 50 finished rounds start to finish. Not something you want to run through your 10/22 in 60 seconds, but really nice match ammo I intend to use for the BPCR .22 long range matches at Pala, and I will be the only one there actually shooting a BPCR .22 ...

Boolit Master

Cool

That's a really nice write up & pics, never thought about loading a .22. What rifle are you shooting these in ? Just what I need, another thing to load for, LOL.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master

Now, THAT'S cool!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    So what are you going to shoot this in? Looks like it's seated out kinda long.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

That'd be a fun one to try in my .22 Marlin Muzzle loader conversion.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=128994

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Very interesting post Baja!

Thanks for sharing the info and pictures!

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

BAJA - I will be interested to hear how the ignition is with those cases. The "Sterling" brand of ammo has that head stamp and is the cheapest on the market here. Whilst my match chambered rolling blocked shoots amazingly with it about 1 in 10 rounds don't light.

Cool project.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Does Mos have a website for his moulds?

Boolit Master

To answer a few questions, I'l be using a Crossno liner in my Pedersoli Sharps for these (shipped today from BACO).
    They feed just fine in my 39a, but just barely stick in the throat so it's a one way trip, as ejecting will pull the bullet from the case. (I managed to do the test carefully and not loose any powder from the case, so the boolit could be re-seated).

No website for David Mos, but HERE is the link to his Facebook page and contact. If you want to order a mold, do it quick - like right now, because he will be shifting over to custom rifles, and when he does that the mold making stops.

My rounds are 35 thousandths taller than the Aguila Match ammo you are using Jon.

Not putting you out, but his statement says he'll still do molds too.

After years of creating single shot rifles for private use, they will be making these available to the public in the winter of 2012. And of course custom moulds will still be available.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The Paco tool works really nice for this application, but I need to make a proper plunger so I dont get the dimple on the boolit nose from the Paco Nastinose punch.
    Traveler, take a spent primer and fill it with lead. Drop it into the Paco NASTINOSE plunger. When you press down, the nose will not be flattened. I do this with the .225 H&I die

For those that are interested in this 22LR BP project, read these threads ...
    http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...p?topic=8512.0
    http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...p?topic=8631.0
    http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...p?topic=8762.0
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Nice lookin' boolits!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus
    Very cool... I'm looking forward to seeing how these shoot for you... How do you plan to deal with the fowling, blow tube or patch?

John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Very cool... I'm looking forward to seeing how these shoot for you... How do you plan to deal with the fowling, blow tube or patch?

John
    W44WCF and John Boy are two of the pioneers in this, and have done some testing shooting multiple rounds without blow tubing or wiping. W44WCF shot 40 rounds without loss of accuracy, and 6 patches to clean using SPG lube. I believe John Boy had fouling issues with Swiss Null B and Alox tumble lubed boolits. I think the lube was determined to be the contributing factor there, but he can correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm going to load up 50 more this weekend, and when my Crossno liner arrives, I'll also do a fouling test with my lube.

All the previous tests were done at 50 yards, which I'll repeat for direct comparison, but I'll also do a side by side comparison of Aguila Match and these BP rounds out to 200 yards (thats the ram distance for the long range .22 match)

How do you plan to deal with the fowling, blow tube or patch?
    John, I have done 2 long shot strings so far:
    * 40 rounds using the 225438 Lymans and DuPont FFFFg sieved to 50 mesh - 5 patches to clean. These were lubed with my home brew lube
    * 25 rounds using the 225438 Lymans and Swiss Null-B - 9 patches to clean. These were lubed with Alox

You can see the details, targets and patches in this link ...
    http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...p?topic=8762.0
    Last edited by John Boy; 10-21-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    Regards
    John

I have a silly question. How do you prime the cases?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonDrake View Post
    I have a silly question. How do you prime the cases?
    The cases are pre-primed Armscor empty cases that were once available at The Hunting Shack. I picked up a 5000 piece case of them earlier in the year for $95. Unfortunately the few they had appear to be the last, since recent searches show them to not be in the online offering any more.

When I go through these (which may be years from now) I'll either have to convince someone to import them again (maybe even put together a group buy) or just resort to buying Walmart bulk and start pulling for the cases...

I'll either have to convince someone to import them again (maybe even put together a group buy)
    I don't know how many boxes ArmsCor had the Hunting Shack selling, but when they started to dry up, I bought the #6 box of 5000.
    Then when the supply was gone, I called ArmsCor requesting another import lot of the empty primed cases. Was told - the minimum import order would have to be 500,000 cases (maximum Honcho outlay of $9500). The group buy would have to be 100 folks committing to a box of 5000 or a 1000 folks at 500 pieces
    Regards
    John

Thank you Baja

Boolit Master

Geez! I guess a group buy is out of the question then! No wonder the Hunting Shack stopped carrying them - that's a ton of inventory to sit on for the ~10 of us in the country doing this...

Yes - I will be pulling Federal Bulk from Wally World...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast