WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20lb RCBS

Boolit Mold

20lb RCBS

Gentlemen: where is the best price on the RCBS Promelt, quit casting about 25 years ago and sold the Saeco and Lyman pots, now need to buy new as I have retired ans need the extra work anyway.

Clarence
    Last edited by cdupuy; 12-17-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know if this is the BEST price, but it is a discounted price. If you haven't seen these priced lately, you had better sit down first:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...=9315***685***

I DO believe that they are the "best of the best" without getting REALLY pricy. The best value is a Lee Pro 20 pot:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...=9315***685***

Dale53

Boolit Buddy

Midsouth is less money

Midsouth catalog lists the RCBS furnace for about $10.00 less and their shipping is lower price.

Ken

What are the advantages of the RCBS pot compared to the Lee?? I have a Lee 10lbs pot i bought used. But I use three 3-cavs simoultaniousley so I add ingots all the time and am considering buying a larger pot. The thing is that the RCBS pot is about $700 (no I'm not kidding) and the Lee is about $200!!

So why buy the expensive one???
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    What are the advantages of the RCBS pot compared to the Lee?? I have a Lee 10lbs pot i bought used. But I use three 3-cavs simoultaniousley so I add ingots all the time and am considering buying a larger pot. The thing is that the RCBS pot is about $700 (no I'm not kidding) and the Lee is about $200!!

I really hate to see the gouging you guys take that aren't in the states... That said, the RCBS is a much higher quality unit, with a much better warrenty. Being able to buy 3 Lees for the price of 1 of the RCBS pots certainly makes them more attractive.

Boolit Mold
    I don't know about their casting pots, but all of my other Lee stuff is top notch. The only exception is I like my Lyman scale better. My low dollar perfect powder measurer out performs my Lyman hands down on light pistol loads. Some of the tools do fell cheap, and you can see where they "cut the fat" to keep the price down. To me, it just has to work, it doesn't have to be pretty.

Boolit Master

Gunslinger, I'll bet that you could build your own pot for a lot less than $200, much less $700! Before I bought my RCBS, I contemplated building a casting pot. The prices that I collected would have been a little over the price of a Lee. Decided that the RCBS would be better due to the warranty that they have provided to many over many years.
    On the Lee, the temperature seems to fluctuate a lot more than the RCBS. I use an older Lee to feed smelted lead into my RCBS.
    EW

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cdupuy View Post
    Gentlemen: where is the best price on the RCBS Promelt, quit casting about 25 years ago and sold the Saeco and Lyman pots, now need to buy new as I have retired ans need the extra work anyway.

Clarence
    I run 2 of the Lee 20lb pots. They have a tendency to drip a little but a quick turn on the rod stops that. I have had 1 of them for 4 years. Changed the spout once.
    For the money I don't think you can beat them.
    44wcf

Boolit Bub
    This site has the lowest price I have found for most RCBS products.
    http://www.a2zoutdoors.com/rcbs_bull..._equipment.htm

Boolit Master

gunslinger - I seem to recall you are good as making things so consider building your own. If not, then the Lee 20# is cheaper and those are what I have been using (thee of them) for many years. I do not find dripping to be a problem, its does not happen unless the spout is dirty. I tried the expensive ones once, didn't see any difference in performance. Sold them. Just my opinion. I use two Lee's for different alloys, and a third for "smelting" small quantities.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Call or email RCBS and see if they have a factory second.

Banned
    I've owned and run my RCBS Promelt now for 30 years with no problems. Does that say anything about quality?

Joe

Boolit Bub
    Google RCBS ProMelt - Have been looking for a second one - had mine going since 1986 and the sheet metal that holds the pot has about rusted away - Wish I had taken better care of it - anyway found one new for $269.95.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Boolit Master
    I got a used one (like new) on Ebay for $ 157.00 a coule of years ago.

Boolit Master

Dunno if the newer RCBS pots are steel, but this could never happen to a lee;

Google RCBS ProMelt - Have been looking for a second one - had mine going since 1986 and the sheet metal that holds the pot has about rusted away -
    The temp DOES vary a LOT! on a lee. The thermostat is in the tower, it really ONLY reads air temp inside the tower, not direct contact with the pot or lead. Which is why I hooked up a PID thermostat to my pro 20. No more worries about temp control!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=49410

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Dunno if the newer RCBS pots are steel, but this could never happen to a lee;

The temp DOES vary a LOT! on a lee. The thermostat is in the tower, it really ONLY reads air temp inside the tower, not direct contact with the pot or lead. Which is why I hooked up a PID thermostat to my pro 20. No more worries about temp control!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=49410
    The Lee could just simply stop melting lead on about pound # 21 from brand new, requiring a high speed trip into the basement wall. I wouldn't have been so mad if it wasn't the second one I had bought. I spose I should have taken them up on their 2 year warrenty, but I just bought a Lyman instead.

The heating unit & thermostat are higher quality & the RCBS is insulated, the Lee is not. I like my 20# Lee, works fine. I would love to have an RCBS but $300 is quite a bit when you can do the same thing for a $65 Lee.

Boolit Master

What's the big cost GS? Shipping? I just checked Midway:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=645810

and the price on a Lee 20# pot is only about $70. Wonder what it would cost to have someone buy it in the states and mail it to you or is that LEGAL in Denmark?

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    I guess things cost a lot more in Denmark. Bummer for them there.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Yeah, if it's not illegal, I would certainly send you one of the Lee 20#. I would think UPS would be no more than $50 & the pot can be bought for about $65. Certainly cheaper than $200.