Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are my options.

Boolit Buddy

What are my options.

All of my dies are Lee... 9mm/40SW/45APC....They are the 4 die sets which include the FCD.They have worked ok I guess but as of late I'm finding that I'm having issues of one kind or another .... not enough flare ....crimp die pulling cast boolits out of case to mention a couple. I am also using a Lee Classic turret Press which I purchased used a couple of years ago. My question is regarding the Powder through die. Does any other manufacture ( such as RCBS ) make a powder through die that will accommodate the Lee powder throw? i checked RCBS.com and it seems that most of their 3 die sets consists of the sizing die/ expanding die and seating die but not a powder through die. So does that mean I would have to do 3 functions on the press, and charge each case separate from a bench powder throw?Please help me understand because I have no experience with other manufactures dies.

RCBS's powder through dies were made originally for the Pro 2000 press using a Uniflow powder measure. It works well, but not for the lee powder throwers.

NOE is the company you are looking for. They make powder through "M" expander plugs for the Lee, and even sell the Lees parts they are made for.....as shown on page 2 of their powder thru expander plugs. (scroll to the bottom of the page) You use one of the two powder dies....depending on what caliber. Page 1 of course has additional calibers.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...-parts/page/2/

Boolit Master

Thanks!
    I had not seen these!
    More money to NOE

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    RCBS's powder through dies were made originally for the Pro 2000 press using a Uniflow powder measure. It works well, but not for the lee powder throwers.

NOE is the company you are looking for. They make powder through "M" expander plugs for the Lee, and even sell the Lees parts they are made for.....as shown on page 2 of their powder thru expander plugs. (scroll to the bottom of the page) You use one of the two powder dies....depending on what caliber. Page 1 of course has additional calibers.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...-parts/page/2/
    So if I wanted to go with the RCBS powder through die and their Uniflow powder measure I could use them in the Lee press??

Dillon sells a powder measure that allows you to use any 7/8” powder measure. It attaches to a 450 powder and expander die. It uses the Dillon powder through expander. I’ll try to remember to get a photo up when I get home. It’s not cheap but it’s pretty slick.

Quote Originally Posted by dearslayer View Post
    So if I wanted to go with the RCBS powder through die and their Uniflow powder measure I could use them in the Lee press??
    I don't use a turret, only single stage, or progressive. I can use the Uniflow and powder-through "M" expander for pistol in my Lee Pro 6000 progressive just fine, but I'm not seeing an advantage to that using a turret or single stage.

For the progressive, you need a case-activated powder die mounted to the 6000 with a Lee bushing. Then the powder through expander is dropped in, then the Uniflow drops also, then the case actuator and spring connects the Uniflow to the powder die.

Picture of that Uniflow/powder die mounted to the 6000......

Last edited by GWS; 05-11-2023 at 05:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by engineer401 View Post
    Dillon sells a powder measure that allows you to use any 7/8” powder measure. It attaches to a 450 powder and expander die. It uses the Dillon powder through expander. I’ll try to remember to get a photo up when I get home. It’s not cheap but it’s pretty slick.
    I’d love to see what you’re talking about!

Boolit Master

You could still use the lee die.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    You could still use the lee die.
    True, but the regular Lee Universal expander die just has a wedge that expands at an angle and isn't powder through.....the nifty NOE expanders made for that Lee die, applies the "M" style step where the bullets go in a 1/16th or so square with no tendency to tilt and force you to sometimes have to help feed them with your fingers to feed straight. Doable, but can be risky to the pinkies on a progressive at speed.

Below is that Lee expander die with cone shaped expanders.....

Below is the NOE "M" expander plug that replaces the Lee cone-shaped plug.
    (tilting bullets no longer a PIA)

But they don't work in the Lee powder-through expander die...they are solid. So then Noe to the rescue again!
    NOE finally made hollow expanders for Lee's powder-through-expander die too, and it also has the "M' shelf.....so you don't have to risk your pinkies between the die and the bullet to feed straight every time at speed. Progressive users love them.

https://leeprecision.com/search?q=un...rough+expander
    Last edited by GWS; 05-12-2023 at 12:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    Take the case out of the press. Put case under powder measurer. Charge case with powder. Put charged case back in press. It is a fairly simple process.

Yeah.....so is walking. But I'm really glad I have a car now! spoiled.....

Boolit Master
    Here’s what I do. I have the NOE powder through setup using a Pro Disc measure on my Lee Turret press. Work fantastic and very affordable to do. I work up my loads using my normal powder measure and then customize a cavity in a disc using a tapered reamer to throw the correct amount of powder. I then mark this cavity and keep it with the turret when it’s stored in a coffee can along with a desiccant pack. If you have a problem understanding how to get the correct size expander just shoot NOE an email and they’ll call you back and walk you through the process. My advice, just buy their full kit including the die. I didn’t and found out the hard way that not all of the die bodies will work with their expanders. Once you have this setup it’s extremely simple and reliable to use.

Boolit Buddy
    I already reached out to NOE and they did help out by recommending the Plug I need for my cast boolit. It was the 9mm Luger powder through expander kit with the .35 auto ( AP ) .360x.356. I would have ordered it already but there is no way I'm paying the shipping cost on this low cost item. It would be near $100.00 CDN TOTAL to ship it to my door Ontario canada ) once the conversion is all said and done from USD to CDN. It sucks that shipping cost so much.... shipping alone If I remember correctly was $45.71 USD with a Total cost of $69.96 USD which comes to $94.82 CDN that that doesn't include the custom/brokerage fee!!!

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...-expander-kit/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    Here’s what I do. I have the NOE powder through setup using a Pro Disc measure on my Lee Turret press. Work fantastic and very affordable to do. I work up my loads using my normal powder measure and then customize a cavity in a disc using a tapered reamer to throw the correct amount of powder. I then mark this cavity and keep it with the turret when it’s stored in a coffee can along with a desiccant pack. If you have a problem understanding how to get the correct size expander just shoot NOE an email and they’ll call you back and walk you through the process. My advice, just buy their full kit including the die. I didn’t and found out the hard way that not all of the die bodies will work with their expanders. Once you have this setup it’s extremely simple and reliable to use.
    I didn't even realize lee had another powder throw ( where was my brain ) that would work on my Turret press. So the pro Disc just screws in the Pistol powder through expander die that I currently have? What makes the pro disc better than the Auto Drum powder throw I am currently using?
    Last edited by dearslayer; 05-12-2023 at 01:57 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

I already reached out to NOE and they did help out by recommending the Plug I need for my cast boolit. It was the 9mm Luger powder through expander kit with the .35 auto ( AP ) .360x.356. I would have ordered it already but there is no way I'm paying the shipping cost on this low cost item. It would be near $100.00 CDN TOTAL to ship it to my door Ontario canada ) once the conversion is all said and done from USD to CDN. It sucks that shipping cost so much.... shipping alone If I remember correctly was $45.71 USD with a Total cost of $69.96 USD which comes to $94.82 CDN that that doesn't include the custom/brokerage fee!!!

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...-expander-kit/
    Be cheaper to drive to the US and pick one up here.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Be cheaper to drive to the US and pick one up here.

Randy
    I'm only an hour and a bit from the Buffalo border so I would just have them mail it to a US mailbox there.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I’d love to see what you’re talking about!
    Thanks for the reminder. Here they are.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dillon parts 1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	313904 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insert 2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	313905

Name:	brass flared.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	313906 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	on press.jpg 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	313907

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by engineer401 View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. Here they are.

Name:	Dillon parts 1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	313904 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insert 2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	313905

Name:	brass flared.jpg 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	313906 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	on press.jpg 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	313907
    Thanks, looking at Dillon’s website
    Adaptor is sku 20029
    450 powder die is sku 20308

I have a running list of Dillon stuff, their shipping is so high that I try to buy in batches.

Boolit Master
    I didn't even realize lee had another powder throw ( where was my brain ) that would work on my Turret press. So the pro Disc just screws in the Pistol powder through expander die that I currently have? What makes the pro disc better than the Auto Drum powder throw I am currently using?
    IME the Pro Disc just drops more consistently and doesn’t leak. I have two each of the Pro Disc and Auto Drum and I haven’t used the Auto Drum since I started using the disc. If you remove the powder hopper on the drum and look at the cavity in the drum it doesn’t completely line up with the hole leading to problems with some powders not flowing smoothly. Plus at the bottom position the cavity in the drum doesn’t line up completely with the hole causing similar resistance. But the disc doesn’t have this problem due to the simplicity of its design. If Lee would just design it so the drum cavity would line up properly it would be a winner and work good with any type powder, but as is it’s just a little lacking in design. The key is working up loads using traditional methods and then reaming a cavity for that load. It’s the simplicity of this system that just eases the reloading process. I use the disc on both my turret press and my Dillon 550 and it’s just such an easy process.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    IME the Pro Disc just drops more consistently and doesn’t leak. I have two each of the Pro Disc and Auto Drum and I haven’t used the Auto Drum since I started using the disc. If you remove the powder hopper on the drum and look at the cavity in the drum it doesn’t completely line up with the hole leading to problems with some powders not flowing smoothly. Plus at the bottom position the cavity in the drum doesn’t line up completely with the hole causing similar resistance. But the disc doesn’t have this problem due to the simplicity of its design. If Lee would just design it so the drum cavity would line up properly it would be a winner and work good with any type powder, but as is it’s just a little lacking in design. The key is working up loads using traditional methods and then reaming a cavity for that load. It’s the simplicity of this system that just eases the reloading process. I use the disc on both my turret press and my Dillon 550 and it’s just such an easy process.
    Damn I'm late to your reply and I just placed an order for some Lee parts yesterday. I could have ordered the pro Disc to try and included it in the shipping charge. Next time I guess.