Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Redding die issue need advise on fixing die

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I ditch the Lee lock rings. I'm using a 650 and they take up too much space for me on the die head. Dillon rings are cheap and I just buy a 5 pack from time to time. Glad the die worked out for you.
    Good call, I have a few extra somewhere in the mess. Do you support it from below and top? The Lee is so short that I barely have a thread to lock the top ring to get it low enough.

Boolit Bub
    Since you are a Boolit Master I will comply

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	792fd19e6a.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	298001
    Originally starting in the far back is
    1 Redding sizer/deprimer
    2. Dillon 32 cal powder drop/case bell
    3. no charge/over charge buzzer
    4. Redding Bullet seater
    5. Redding Bullet crimper

I just swapped out #5 Crimper for Lee Crimper + sizer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a526d339ff.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	298002

I will say the Redding and Dillon dies are a step up in terms of the build, threads etc but the Lee does one thing they can't. WORK!.

Boolit Master

You will have enough thread with a Dillon lock ring. I only use one on top. On a side note. I do not have these problems with my Dillon dies. Dies from other manufacturers seem to take a lot of fiddling with to get them set properly (for me at least). I have most of mine set so I will not be replacing them except for my .30 Carbine. I can not get the seater low enough to properly seat the bullet. The Dillons are pricey, but so far have been worth it to me.

Boolit Master

The fact that I am a boolit master has way more to do with post count and sponsorship than anything else. It doesn't mean I or anyone else knows what they are doing. Read posts, do your own research and form your own opinions. There are some really smart experienced people on this forum, there are also some that aren't. It's your job to figure it out.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, being a bullet master just means that I post a lot, not that any of it is worthwhile.

Been staring at pics of redding dies, and while I don’t remember mine looking like yours (I’m out of town at the moment) they must or at least that’s how many look on the internet.

Dillon dies also have a very generous chamfer to guide the case in, but I’ve not had a problem.

Anyway, thanks for the pics and congrats on finding a solution.

Boolit Master

Before taking anything of the sizing die I would take a little of the cheaper part the shell holder. I have had success doing that when the case needed a bit more into the die. The shell holders can be cut down abit without weaking them.

If it messes up your out the cheap part only.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Before taking anything of the sizing die I would take a little of the cheaper part the shell holder. I have had success doing that when the case needed a bit more into the die. The shell holders can be cut down abit without weaking them.

If it messes up your out the cheap part only.
    Dillon XL650 shell plates are 53.00 + 15 shipping. The Lee die was 25.00 free shipping and had it in 2 days needed to clean up a bunch of too large to fit in chamber rounds with it. And ran new batch, once I got the Lee crimp right which was tricky because it almost too short for the press 100 percent of the rounds chambered.

I would prefer the redding did full size on the first station but its good enough for now.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    You will have enough thread with a Dillon lock ring. I only use one on top. On a side note. I do not have these problems with my Dillon dies. Dies from other manufacturers seem to take a lot of fiddling with to get them set properly (for me at least). I have most of mine set so I will not be replacing them except for my .30 Carbine. I can not get the seater low enough to properly seat the bullet. The Dillons are pricey, but so far have been worth it to me.
    I agree on Dillon dies, not had any issues. They are made better IMHO. I tried a Hornady universal decapper and broke a pin smashed a few 223 case necks. It was almost impossible to get the pin to stay centered too. Got a Dillon universal and its so much better, no issues. The pin is dead center and its tapered in a way that any off center case will self center. On the hornady, RCBS and Redding where the pin meets the stem there is a flat ledge. off center cases will ride up the pin hit that ledge and crush. Impossible to do with the dillon die. Its just little engineering things they do.

I did not see a Dillon 32 ACP die set or I would have bought it. I did have good luck with Hornady for 450 BM dies. No issues there.

Boolit Master
    You might want to consider a magma Push through case sizer. I have one set for 45 ACP. removes all the Bulge out on all cases. I have the manual push through. . It is on an arbor press complete . That is ok if you shoot a lot of that caliber. Or maybe get the Die and see if you can rig it to work
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    You might want to consider a magma Push through case sizer. I have one set for 45 ACP. removes all the Bulge out on all cases. I have the manual push through. . It is on an arbor press complete . That is ok if you shoot a lot of that caliber. Or maybe get the Die and see if you can rig it to work
    Case Master JR Rimless Case Sizer $338.00 that looks like a cool device. Would for sure clean them up.

I ran all my bulged case through that Lee crimper/sizer die. Went to the range today to test them. Guess what? They all fed well, no extraction issue or stuck cases. CZ50 ran clean with them.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJ View Post
    Thanks! That is pretty cool, not seen a crimp die with that feature.
    I was wondering if it was possible to resize a loaded round. In a different forum people were saying "No" but seeing this lets me know I can fix the rounds without having to pull the bullets etc. I think I'll get that die.
    Be advised that this die can cause problems because it can resize not only the brass but the bullet residing inside, causing accuracy and leading issues. Can also reduce neck tension by spring back. Just relaying complaints I’ve read, I have no experience with them.

Boolit Master
    the lee push though bulge buster has worked well for me in the 40 cal. on range brass. I use it as separate operation. might ask lee if they make one for the 32.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Be advised that this die can cause problems because it can resize not only the brass but the bullet residing inside, causing accuracy and leading issues. Can also reduce neck tension by spring back. Just relaying complaints I’ve read, I have no experience with them.
    I size my .32s at .311 and have no issue with the die. Like anything else if you don't set it properly it won't work properly.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on that. Learning new things all the time about reloading.
    My first goal was just to get the rounds to chamber which it helped with. It seemed to sort of bypass the bullet and did not get tight till it hit the bulged area 2/3s down the case so the but bullets in my case stayed seated well. I will keep an eye on that thanks!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJ View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on that. Learning new things all the time about reloading.
    My first goal was just to get the rounds to chamber which it helped with. It seemed to sort of bypass the bullet and did not get tight till it hit the bulged area 2/3s down the case so the but bullets in my case stayed seated well. I will keep an eye on that thanks!

Overtightening the crimp adjustment on top is what will cause bullet swaging.

Boolit Master
    Remember when speaking of push-thru dies, .32 ACP is rimmed.
    Loren