Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to Upgrade from RockChucker - Suggestions?

Boolit Grand Master
    First had a 450 to go with my RC. Tried a Lee1000 and finally gave it away. Ended up getting a 650 and later a used 1050 (for less than a new 650). I oft times use the 650 to size rifle brass, then clean the lube of the cases, trim, ect, before I run them thru the 650 to load them. Sometimes I process the brass and use the RC to load the cases
    I only load for about an hour on my presses as much more than that, causes me shoulder pain (surgery there many years ago). 1050 is a good machine but if changing calibers much, the 650 is a lot easier to do such.
    I would lean towards the 650.

Another vote for the Dillon 550. I have 2: one set up for small primers & one for large primers. I have 5 quick change for pistol calibers & one for .223.

When loading the .223 I size/deprime on my single stage trim & wet tumble before the other processes on the 550. The 550 powder measure works OK for me with H322, BL-C, RL-15 & H335. I load all other rifle calibers (very small volume) on the single stage.

I personally prefer the manual advance of the 550.

Boolit Buddy
    I did the same upgrade a few years ago. My decision was the 650 Dillon. I haven't looked back at all. No regrets saved time.

Boolit Buddy
    Hanzy4200,

I own and use a Dillon 550 with case feeder, Hornady Lock N Load progressive with case feeder, RCBS Piggy back progressive, Lee Breechlock Pro progressive, and Lee 3 and 4 hole turret presses. When I was still loading large batches of ammo I used the Dillon 550 but without the case feeder. The case feeder is not designed for use with rifle cartridges but I have read that some users have been able to adapt the case feeder to feed .223. The Dillon case feeder is more reliable than the Hornady case feeder but the Dillon 550 case feeder is time consuming to install and makes it difficult to load rifle cartridges with the case feeder installed. The case feeder definitely increases production and if I were going to be loading large batches of rifle cartridges again I would seriously consider upgrading to a Dillon 650/750.

Some people love their Hornadys but my experience is that the Dillon 550 is much easier to setup and is much more trouble free in operation.

I no longer load large batches of ammo and have lately been using the Lee Breechlock Pro because of the ability to set dies and powder measures and quickly change calibers. However, I cannot recommend the press for your use because it has taken me a long time, with a lot of mistakes and broken parts, to learn all the quirks and limitations of the press. This case feeder and primer feeder are not nearly as reliable as the Dillon so the operator must give his undivided attention at all times to catch misfeeds when they occur.

Gus Youmans

I'm A Honcho!
    Not one vote for the Redding T7?
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Not one vote for the Redding T7?
    Read the first post. He wants to do 2000 round batches. He can do that in 3 hours with a 650/750/1050 progressive without any heroics. How long would it take an a T7?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Thank you all. For the extras. What are the "must have" extra parts? Or am I missing something and all the essentials are included with the press?

I currently load 31 calibers. A good 2/3 of these are calibers I do not shoot in high numbers, ie: 8MM Nambu, .38 S&W, .25 acp, ect. Oddball stuff. What is required for a caliber change? The full caliber "conversion kit"?

Boolit Master

Hanzy,

My father and I combined our resources to set up two Dillon 650s in his loading room - one left set up for large primer and the other small. They're great presses. As has been stated, the only minor weak point is the priming system, but that's still a far cry above that of the Lee Pro 1000 ********* we attempted to load on in the '80's. The 750 appears to have addressed any of the 650's weak points - as I recall, it may even offer a primer pocket swager. I would go that route in a second if not already committed.

A full caliber change IDEALLY requires a shell plate and a complete toolhead set up with it's own dies, powder measure with expander adjusted for the load, and bushings to time the feeding of the cases. Depending on the degree of cartridge change, you may also have to change plates in your optional electric case feeder and reconfigure from large or small primers.

It's nice to be able to leave your tool heads set up and marked for your pre-conceived loads. If you don't have to change any of the primer or case feed hardware, changeover is pretty fast. The economy question then becomes one of whether or not it's worth it for your non-volume calibers. Your single stage will still have value to you - both in that regard and for load development before you finalize and go into mass production.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Caliber conversion kit gets you the shell plate, the buttons to hold the brass inside the shell plate, and the powder thru expander. Then there is the quick change kit. That will include the Die plate which is the insert that holds your three dies and the powderdrop/powder measure station. The Quick Changes for the 550 run about $160 and the Caliber Conversions are $50 or so. I just got one of each to do 38 Special. That does not include dies, but you already have those. Pick your most loaded calibers and set up for those first. Mine are in 38 Special, 380ACP, 9mm, and 223. Next are 270Win and 30-30.

Boolit Master
    The extras would be the case feed. I think it would be nice if I had multiple presses only. It adds complications to quickly change calibers. Quickly changing calibers on a 550 is the hallmark of this press. I chose to skip it and have not missed it, but I only have one 550 with 4 quick changes pre set for those 4 calibers. I load thousands of rounds this way and it works for me. If I buy another 550 in the future, Ill get a case feed for 9mm. Its my most loaded caliber.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Rockchucker and a Dillion 550B. I use the Dillion for pistol, .223 and .308 plinking ammo. The match grade rifle loads I use the Rockchucker. I shoot about 1500 to 2000 pistol rounds per month and have no problem feeding my habit on the 550B. On a good night I can load close to 400 rounds an hour. Get extra primer tubes that will allow you to speed up your loading.

Boolit Master
    If I wanted a Dillon I would wait until high-volume ammo is again readily available (we hope) because some people who went headlong into reloading without much thought in the last several months will realize there's a learning curve, mistakes will be made, and it's just not fun when you have to do it. Same will apply to components and tools.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    As far as the press goes , I've had a 550 for about thirty-five years and it has done many different types of ammo from .38 to M-2 and M-72 match ammo . The only cartridge that slows it down is loading .308 ammo , that may just be a neck lube issue because pulling the case over the button is a pain .

There are faster presses than the 550 in the blue lineup and if there is money in the budget , you'd be ahead to look at them . They came along long after my need for high volume ceased to be an issue .

As for getting case lube off the loaded rounds ? ..... I bought an electric powered cement mixer and dedicated that for case work ONLY . Use a lot of attrition milled corn cob and run it about twenty minutes more or less time by your judgement . All of my .223 and M-2 , M-72 ammo went through that without issue .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I have 2 650's to load with (large primer/small primer), and a S1050 for processing brass on. Plus several single stage presses for various tasks.
    I very much like the 650.

Vendor Sponsor

You'll note the operative word most used in this thread has been "Dillon?" I think that should answer your question?.

I have a D550B and do all my volume loading on it.

I also have a Rock Chucker and a C&H 444.

I primarily use my BPM LNL Hand Press for most of my short run loading right now. It is just more pleasant to sit at the kitchen table in the house and load ammo while watching TV.

Dillon makes some of the best Designed and Built Reloading Machinery out there. So do I? YMMV

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464167.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-29-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have several single stage presses for the low volume stuff, 20-100 rounds at a time or the varmint match stuff where I'm being particularly fussy about the loading trying to hit a 7/8" bullseye at 300 yards is challenging.

For the high volume blaster pistol stuff, it goes on a Dillon Square Deal B.

The rifle goes on the Dillon 550B.

Sometimes it is with all 4 stations filled and a loaded round falls off with every pull of the lever.

Sometimes it is with less stations filled and the cartridge makes two trips around the carousel.

Station one resize/deprime and reprime. Empty station 2, belling die in station 3 and empty #4.

Off to the polisher to get rid of the case lube.

Next is case charging off the press with visual verification of powder level in each case.

Back to the press, empty station 1, insert case on station 2, seat boolit on station 2.

Station 3 or 4, crimp boolit.

Two pulls of the handle produces a loaded round that you visually inspected powder charge.

Works exceptionally well with crunchy, poor metering stick powder.

Ball bowder and jacketed bullets just follow the manual.
    Last edited by 15meter; 08-30-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Boolit Master

One thing with the 550 you may want to consider. Your rifle brass will need to be trimmed at some point. There is no way to do that on the 550. I de-prime, resize and trim brass before I start to load rifle on a 550. You also mentioned cleaning your lubed brass which could be done.
    So with rifle I use the 550 to prime on the first station. Second station is powder drop. Third station is bullet seat. Fourth is unused or crimp if you do that.
    The more "progressive" the press is the less flexible it is with caliber conversion.

RL550B ...11 calibers from 9mm to 8mm REM MAG I load ..I catch retiring or caliber jumping reloaders dumping Dillon "stuff" and buy caliber change over tool heads, powder dies and shell plate kits for chump change ..or at least I did and probably you can still get better prices than new and you just cannot kill the Dillon parts short of an idiot allowing rust to set in on the blued steel parts.

Good advice is 5ea primer tubes for the primer sizes you are going to load.

You can find tons of pre-owned caliber conversion kits, tool heads and powder dies for the 550 but not so much on it's bigger brothers and sisters ..case in point there is a like new 38/357 caliber conversion kit complete like new on fleabay for $39.95 with factory at $65 and tool head $21.52 new vs $32 +++Plus you can easily use your already owned standard 7/8" dies from your existing reloading set up (I am pretty sure some of the bigger Dillons have to have machine specific dies but others here will have to confirm that as it may no longer be a correct statement)

I will tell you honestly the cheapo dies from Lee ..especially the "factory crimp" series are respectable dies for all but bench type shooting

Bear

Go Dillon Blue

Boolit Master
    Lee is hard to beat. You can change out calibers fast on either their turret or progressive press.

Usually I use the progressive in conjunction with a single stage. I use the single to de-prime and size. I wash. Prime with a bench primer, then load with my 4 station Lee progressive.

For pistol I do stage one with an expander powder die.

Stage two is empty for a visual powder check.

Three is for seating.

Four is for crimping.

You can size and prime on it, but priming takes some practice and I don't like to fumble with it.

For rifle you can't use a pass through die so I just add an extra universal expander then a separate powder die.

If I'm doing less than 200 rounds I'll use a Lee turret. It's even easier to change calibers and if you stop early you still have loaded ammo you can use.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    Lee is hard to beat. You can change out calibers fast on either their turret or progressive press.

Usually I use the progressive in conjunction with a single stage. I use the single to de-prime and size. I wash. Prime with a bench primer, then load with my 4 station Lee progressive.

For pistol I do stage one with an expander powder die.

Stage two is empty for a visual powder check.

Three is for seating.

Four is for crimping.

You can size and prime on it, but priming takes some practice and I don't like to fumble with it.

For rifle you can't use a pass through die so I just add an extra universal expander then a separate powder die.

If I'm doing less than 200 rounds I'll use a Lee turret. It's even easier to change calibers and if you stop early you still have loaded ammo you can use.
    This is what I do, except I don't use a powder check die. I don't remember which I tried, either the RCBS or Hornady. All it was, was a rod that moved up. I didn't like it. Instead I bought a cheap USB plug in endoscope, and plug it into my laptop. I then use my computer screen as a visual check for powder. It also doubles as a music player.