WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee collet neck sizing die for 243

Lee collet neck sizing die for 243

I recently purchased a new(to me) rifle. It was sold to me as a Remington 700 243 varminter. I didn't look at it closely and I should have.
    It turns out it is a long action ADL with a varmint barrel installed on to it. Fter doing some investigating, I found the barrel had been shortened and re-chambered which appears to have been done properly.
    The barrel channel on the stock has been nicely worked over to fit the new barrel although it wasn't enough to free float the barrel(I may be getting a different stock).
    The problem developed when I fired the gun. It turns out to have been re-chambered to 243 Ackley Improved. I don't have a problem with the idea of AI chamberings. My only issue is I have standard dies for 243.
    I intend to neck size the fired cases. I had previously ordered a Lee collet neck sizing die for 243.
    My question is---Will the Lee neck sizing die work with the Ackley improved case or will it try to crush the shoulder?

If it won't work, I will need to order a neck sizing die from another source. I have had excellent results using the Lee collet neck sizing die in other calibers. In my 223, it reduced the group size compared to full length resizing by about 25%. I was wondering if anyone on this site had experience with this or a similar situation?

Don't have one for 243 but looking at my 308 Lee neck sizer I'd say your'd have a problem.
    You can A) call Lee or B) try one and see
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    NO, IT WILL NOT WORK. Invest in a set of RCBS 243 AI dies with the A.I. neck sizer. It will be a 3 die set.

Thanks for the input guys. I did some searching on the Lee web site and found the following--

Ackley Improved Cases
    Posted by on 19 October 2011 01:16 PM
    The standard Collet die for the parent cartridge should work, provided that the base to neck/shoulder intersection dimension has not changed. Most Ackley Improved cartridges have less body taper, and a steeper shoulder angle, but the distance from the base of the case to the neck/shoulder intersection is not changed. There is enough clearance in the collet to accommodate the improved cartridge.

I guess I will need to try the collet neck sizing die and see how well/if it works.

Vendor Sponsor

I'd try it since that die is going to be a lot cheaper than a whole set of RCBS dies.

I really like the Lee Collet Dies. Best way to Neck Size in my Opinion.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    I use a standard 22-250 collet die for my 22-250 A.I. without any problems. The die does no move the shoulder back and does not create a head space problem

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    I use a standard 22-250 collet die for my 22-250 A.I. without any problems. The die does no move the shoulder back and does not create a head space problem
    Thanks for that information! My neck sizing die should arrive today. I am looking forward to trying it out.

My Lee collet neck sizing die arrived today. I set it up and tried it out. It worked perfectly.
    It sized the neck and didn't touch the shoulder.
    Looks like I'm good to go.