Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Anybody shoot boolits in .357 Bain and Davis

Boolit Master

Anybody shoot boolits in .357 Bain and Davis

I've got a barrel in this caliber, and I was wondering if anyone has any cast boolit experience with it, specifically with heavier weight boolits.

Boolit Master

What platform is your 357 bain and davis built on? I thought this would be a fun caliber if a person had some extra cash and time.

Boolit Master

I went the cheap route. I got a .357mag Contender barrel and had SSK rechamber it. Bought a set of dies and went to work, but I always used jacketed bullets. It really doesn't offer anything you can't get from another .35, but it was my first venture into wildcat calibers.

I've always thought a heavy, hard cast, gc'ed boolit would be the way to go, but I've never found any data to start with.

Boolit Master

Sounds like you have an idea that will get you a good start. Let us know how it goes.

Moderator Emeritus

Case capacity on the 357B&D is almost exactly the same as the 357 Rem Max. I'd use Rem Max starting data and work up.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

So getting .357 Max performance in an 1894 Marlin isn't a pipe dream. Anybody invent a wildcat using .45 Colt brass necked down to .357?

Boolit Master

Wiljen, that is exactly what I needed.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Gerold, sharp shouldered cases tend to make a powder go faster than otherwise expected, especially when the cases are short like the B&D is. So use the slower powders recommended for the 357 max, and drop another 10 percent than what the book suggests for the same load. No need for mag primers with this case configuration. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Art, you can do it! Just copy the 44 specs necked down, but with 5 degrees more neck slope. The diameter of the case will more than make up for the longer slope in case volume. Why not do a Casull case? Then you can use slower powders still, like a case full of H322. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master
    357 Maximum ballistics in a Marlin 94.........now, THAT would be a hunting rifle. 180 grain FP........
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus

Grizzly did a 357/45 Win Mag for their pistols that might work in the Marlin.

This will give you some good info on boolit choices.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell357Max.htm

Crabo

Boolit Bub
    My understanding of the cartridge is that it can`t be loaded much more than a standard 357 mag. Any hotter and you will get setback, expanded cases binding against recoil shield. The cylinder binds and won`t turn. Smith & Wesson had this problem with their 22 Jet, 357 necked to 22. Good Luck

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by oldfartz View Post
    My understanding of the cartridge is that it can`t be loaded much more than a standard 357 mag. Any hotter and you will get setback, expanded cases binding against recoil shield. The cylinder binds and won`t turn. Smith & Wesson had this problem with their 22 Jet, 357 necked to 22. Good Luck
    I think since he is not chambering it in a revolver he'll be fine. That usually isn't a problem in a contender or other designs.