Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Going to kill a farm pig, what to use?

Boolit Master

Going to kill a farm pig, what to use?

In the past I've used a .22 LR rifle to the forehead (HV RN, didn't look for the bullets), 44 mag 270 Ranch Dog ACCOWW over a mild dose of Red Dot to the side of the head (full penetration) and 44 mag 200 Lee ACCOWW over a mild dose of Red Dot behind the ear angling forward (recovered inside skull). All worked just fine with no problems, but I figure as long as I am at it I might as well try something new. All are certainly overkill, but for the sake of research...

Options include:

44 mag .432 270 Ranch Dog ACCOWW over a stiff load of MP-300 out of a rifle or 6" revolver

357 mag .358 Lee SWC w/gas check ACCOWW over a mid range load of Herco or MP-300 out of a 6" revolver

223 FMJ out of a 16" barrel

My only concern is keeping fracturing to a minimum as the chickens will get the head to pick at after I get what I want off of it.

Boolit Master
    Why not Give the poor animal a Break . and just buy your Pork from The supermarket like most people
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    I'd stick with the .22. I've killed many that way. The less mess, the better. The less bullet fragments flying around and bouncing off of stuff, the better.

Lead might be something to keep far away from your chickens. Exactly the wrong thing for them to be pecking at.

Boolit Buddy
    357. Dare to be different. I've killed several thousand with a .22, but I always thought a 38 Special in the side of the noggin worked better. Never needed but one shot with that. I always used a 158 gr SWC with that one. It worked well on cattle too.

Boolit Master
    That 357 load behind the ear will work

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Why not Give the poor animal a Break . and just buy your Pork from The supermarket like most people
    Or you can sell your pig to the suppliers of the supermarkets It is a loose / loose for the pig!
    Then you can buy it back!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I'd avoid the 223 FMJ. It would likely fragment apart. Making a mess.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Grand Master
    Check out the article by Glenn Fryxell on the LASC thing. It's right here on the Castboolits Home page banner. Scroll down to the article on "A Bullet for all Seasons". He mentions butchering pigs and the use of a .358 boolit.

Use anything you want just as long as you don't tell us we should all get our meat from the super market cause that is where it is made.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Vendor Sponsor

Any sub sonic pistol round will do. 38spl in a .357, 45acp, etc.. Higher powered rounds stand a GOOD chance they might ricochet and injure whoever is holding the pig or the gun...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Smacks of Liberalism: Send it to them and the people will pay for it's up keep!
    The man want's to butcher his hog: As Americans have done for Years....Is this now politically incorrect?
    I did not see any smiling emojis!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Any sub sonic pistol round will do. 38spl in a .357, 45acp, etc.. Higher powered rounds stand a GOOD chance they might ricochet and injure whoever is holding the pig or the gun...
    Or a bystander, or a nearby truck, etc.

last week, I shot 3 lambs with .22 subsonic hollow points to the back of the skull. works every time with less mess, less risk, and less noise.

I suppose one could use a 12 gauge, but why?

Going to kill a farm pig, what to use?

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Or you can sell your pig to the suppliers of the supermarkets It is a loose / loose for the pig!
    Then you can buy it back!
    And while it is at the pig supplier God knows what happens to it also. I hope the salpal is trolling or being sarcastic. His profile says he is a endowment NRA lifer. I'm only 30 but, everyday slaughtering fresh seems the only safe way to do it.

Salpal just where do you think food comes from?

In order for you to eat, somewhere, something has to die.
    If you want to play the Vegan card I'd respond by saying it is proven that plants have feelings also.

Eggs you don't have to kill the chicken, just keep it locked in a cage inside a very large metal building for 2 years and once its production of eggs slows down it is sold to big company's like Cambell's to make soup out of. Or in another way of putting it, slavery then the soup pot.

More or less the same for dairy except the cows are treated a bit better. Except for forced breeding so they have a calf every year or there is no milk. No calf and chances are that cow goes to get slaughtered. But its ok, she'll be used to make burgers at your favorite fast food place.

People make cracks about hunters and farmers killing their own food. To my way of thinking it is more honest by far.
    You know what you are going to use that animal for when you get it. You face the facts squarely, and in my experience most people in that situation show more true remorse for the deed than the average person who goes to the store.

Now I'm not jumping down your throat. Just trying to expose you to an alternative viewpoint.
    I'm not calling you names or calling you anything.

I'm just saying in the future rather than remark about a subject that it appears you know little about. You might want to think twice, or educate yourself a bit.

As for me I've killed and butchered a pig, I missed and it suffered, and I felt terrible. Eventually the pig calmed down, second shot I got the angle right and it went into the brain. Until you have walked in those shoes, please, think twice before hitting the post reply button.

Vendor Sponsor

You know I have had the DAMNDEST time trying to talk Bambi into the freezer just never could come up with the right words!

Ended up having to kill every dang one of them first!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

After 10 inches of rain over the last week, I'm pretty sure nothing is going to ricochet out of that mudpit!

.22 between the eyes a little high. End of story.

Perma-Banned

We have a hog coming up right now for slaughter. I use a 32 hr magnum between the eyes.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in Grandpas day they seldom used a gun to buther but a 4LB hand sledge or gross peen hammer. Family buthered many hogs and cattle with just the sledge to stun and heavy sharp knife to cut throat. We also used the 22 rimfire with whatever ammo was hand behind close ear to opposite eye works great.

Moderator Emeritus

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	156867

Think Salpal just forgot to use purple font as I think he was referring to this which had been posted before.