Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: New Lee mold (improved?)

Boolit Man

New Lee mold (improved?)

I ordered a new Lee .452 228gr. mold a few days ago and recieved it today.I was quite surprized to find that it looked quite different from previously aquired lee molds in that it had screws holding the handles on and tapered pins for lining the blocks up. Is this a design that has been around for a while or is it something new. will all Lee molds be this design from now on. I havn't used the mold yet but it looks much improved.

Boolit Master

The last couple I got were "new and improved".They work nice,only took about 4 to get keepers.Cast some yesterday,some more this morning after coffee and news.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Mold
    Why would anyone want to see what is in the news these days!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
    Why would anyone want to see what is in the news these days!
    A constant reminder as to the need for eternal vigilance.

Boolit Master
    I bought a `new` design Lee mould in 8x56R and it is a joy to use.

It seems to be much more user friendly than the older models.

ukrifleman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    A constant reminder as to the need for eternal vigilance.
    I thought the same thing this morning as I heard the reports about US personnel evacuating Yemen. Sheesh. Cast'em, load'em. If more Americans would make themselves hard-targets, we'd be in better shape.

PS. I like that bullet very much in .45acp 1911. Its a tack driver. Enjoy the mold. I hope you are able to be as happy with your bullets as I have been with mine.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Starvnhuntr View Post
    I ordered a new Lee .452 228gr. mold a few days ago and recieved it today.I was quite surprized to find that it looked quite different from previously aquired lee molds in that it had screws holding the handles on and tapered pins for lining the blocks up. Is this a design that has been around for a while or is it something new. will all Lee molds be this design from now on. I havn't used the mold yet but it looks much improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I thought the same thing this morning as I heard the reports about US personnel evacuating Yemen. Sheesh. Cast'em, load'em. If more Americans would make themselves hard-targets, we'd be in better shape.

PS. I like that bullet very much in .45acp 1911. Its a tack driver. Enjoy the mold. I hope you are able to be as happy with your bullets as I have been with mine.
    Yes, the Lee 452-228-1R is my fav Lee 45acp boolit as well. Some don't like it at all. It does have a fat nose...and it does need to be seated kinda deep for my gun (OAL=1.205).

Let us know how it works for you and your gun
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

If the top of the block where it lists the mold number also says "LH", be aware that the sprue plate screw is left hand threaded. Also, those allen screws in the handles aren't exactly screws, I wouldn't advise trying to remove them. I don't remember exactly what they are called, but they are more like pins than screws.

Boolit Bub
    I was so happy to see this change in the Lee two hole molds. ordered two of them! Never was a fan of that v groove stuff.

didnt get through my 6th cast with the 45-230tc when an alignment pin literally fell out. Then on my 38-158 the same thing happened, but, I got to at least my 20th sprue cut before that happened. Not to mention on the 45 mold the right wood handle sticks out 1/2" farther than the other. Shirley was not awake for that one.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with these new molds. It sucks too, because they drop nice boolits!

The six cavity lee mold I have is still kicking *** and taking names.

Boolit Buddy

I had the same experience with a new style 2 cavity 45-200RF. Alignment pins moved on the first session and the sprue plate screw got loose on the second session. Used Bullplate on it too. Sad.