Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Never Again!

Boolit Master

Never Again!

Carrumba! Never Again will I buy range scrap off eBay! I thought the price, delivered, looked good, so I took the plunge, and bought 2 lots of range scrap, 30 lbs each. NEVER AGAIN!
    Good Grief - it must have come from an old GI range, because they were 99% jacketed, and mostly 45ACP or 30Carbine. And dirty. Dirt poured out of splits in the SFRB's they were packed in, 3 per Medium FRB. Took me about 2 hours of hassle to run them, as I could only do 20 lbs at a time - 30 wouldn't fit into my 8/qt dutch oven, and I will have to flux & skim again when I alloy with monotype. As I said - Carrumba...
    Kathy, I'm sorry I strayed - from now on, when I need feed stock, The Captain gets my order! I'll be good...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

LOL, buyer be ware fit this time.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Buy from the people on here and you can just about bet it will be a good deal. Must say we have some of the best people to deal with than any other forum.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    buy the stuff that is already melted down into ingots.

Wait. You bought raw range scarp off ebay?

Hope you got a killer deal

Boolit Master

Save those old bullet jackets there 95% copper should bring over $2.00 a pound.

Moderator Emeritus

List the ebay seller so we can block them...

Boolit Master
    Why would you block him, did he not deliver the promised product at the agreed price?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Why would you block him, did he not deliver the promised product at the agreed price?

Tim
    Not seeing the ad it's hard to say he could have been deceptive or totally above board on the deal. A link would help each person make up their own minds.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Buddy
    bobthebuilder said:
    "Save those old bullet jackets there 95% copper should bring over $2.00 a pound."

My experience with GI .45ACP RN bullets is they are copper washed STEEL jackets. Check with a magnet.

Steve

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I tried to get a sample of pure lead from an ebay seller to test before I bought a bunch. He told me he already tested it, came back as 11bhn. Think I'll wait for 'hammerlane' to get some more pure lead in stock.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Bub
    I checked out the lead on ebay and found that the stuff is very pricey. I buy all I want in my area for 50 cents a lb, soft and ww.

I would deal with the people here before ebay. Lot of folks on the forum berm mine if you are set on range scrap, but several reputable sellers of WW's already turned into ingots are also available if you are a bit more flexible in what alloy you want to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonm1a1 View Post
    I checked out the lead on ebay and found that the stuff is very pricey. I buy all I want in my area for 50 cents a lb, soft and ww.
    Is that a good deal nowadays?

I've paid maybe $50 for all my ww, 700 lbs or so. Most of the time they give them to me for free or I make a donation, and the one time I paid I got so miffed afterwards I vowed never to go back and have to pay $20 for 1.5 buckets.

But, I am a cheap skate.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesisenforcer View Post
    Is that a good deal nowadays?

I've paid maybe $50 for all my ww, 700 lbs or so. Most of the time they give them to me for free or I make a donation, and the one time I paid I got so miffed afterwards I vowed never to go back and have to pay $20 for 1.5 buckets.

But, I am a cheap skate.
    Price and availability are regional, I typically pay shops around 30 -35 cents a lb. for WW's which is a little over what the scrap yard will pay them. Scrap yard wants around 70 cents a lb. for lead you purchase from them, possibly a touch more for "good" stuff such as body solder or not, it depends on who and their mood. Pretty decent supply of lead in the scrap yard, not that many tire stores that will sell in the area. Maybe 3 within 25 miles, plus a few others that already have arrangements. Other folks on the forum report more stores with WW's for sale or none, lower or higher prices including free. Some see 70% junk metal WW's or 90% lead WW's. Just depends on where you are, and what is available around you.

It's worth what it is worth to the seller and a buyer. those going to purchase on ebay probably don't have any local source so they are comparing to purchase from say Rotometals.

I don't mind $35 for 100 lbs. of WW lead, still seems like a pretty good deal to me. I just don't like paying $35 for a 100 lb. bucket and getting 25 lbs. of scrap metal (Zn & Fe) after all the sorting is done. Feel sort of like I paid money for the privilege of sorting WW's

So why did you get miffed afterwards?

I learned my lesson buying from feebay.... I got zinc'd and will never buy from there again!
    I asked the guy a lot of questions before I purchased from him and got all the correct answers back so I felt confident buying from him.
    Out of 10 MFRB I skimmed off about 200lbs of zinc from the lead, so about 1/3 of total weight.. Its still sitting out by my storage shed until I think of how to clean more zinc out.

Boolit Master
    The only alloy I'd buy off ebay nowadays would be raw monotype or linotype.
    In the past, I bought raw wheel weights from ebay but there was a lot of scrap. However, that was pre-castboolits.
    I definitely wouldn't buy ingotized lead anywhere but here. It's better to buy from the good ppl here who actually care about more than just making a buck.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952