Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 colt Lee factory crimp die?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Another method is to shorten your existing seating die. I've done a few in my lathe, but it requires carbide tools. It can also be done with a bench grinder, but must be done slowly to avoid overheating.
    I've done this also, takes some finesse and a mug of cold water, but works. For a perfect finish use 3/4" automotive heater hose and a mandrel to mount any 7/8" die in a drill press and use a block and sandpaper to perfect and square the die base again.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    ya know the other option is a Redding Profile Crimp die. You could use it for both with no modifications. All brass would need to be trimmed to same length.
    I dumped mine in favor of the Lee. The profile crimp die, when set for a heavy crimp, will actually size down the first driving band inside the case. Instead of being nice and square it will be tapered (found this after pulling some bullets due to an incorrect powder charge). Didn't seem like a good thing.
    Last edited by 5Shot; 11-14-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Just buy a good quality seating die for the .45 Colt's, don't fall for all the collet crimping die Koolaid.
    What about this collet crimp die is koolaid friend?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Totally unnecessary, a properly set seating die will crimp the hell out of any cartridge, if that's what your after.......I crimp the heaviest loaded 45/70 ammo, using 555gr. flat points at top velocities, with the Redding seating die, same with all my other cals. that require a crimp.

Vendor Sponsor

Have you ever used one? Or do you merely assume there is no perceivable benefit in doing something different.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Totally unnecessary, a properly set seating die will crimp the hell out of any cartridge, if that's what your after.......I crimp the heaviest loaded 45/70 ammo, using 555gr. flat points at top velocities, with the Redding seating die, same with all my other cals. that require a crimp.
    Many roll crimp dies will not accept a cartridge loaded with a fat boolit. Older steel 45 Colt dies were made for 0.454" slugs and the crimp die made lopsided crimps on 452s. Here is where the Lee collet crimper can save the day.

Boolit Master
    Not a machinist but for the 454, would it be easier to shorten a S&W 460 collet die?

http://leeprecision.com/405-win-cust...crimp-die.html (Yes, it is really a link for the 460)

Vendor Sponsor

How would you roll crimp if you wanted to seat a smooth sided boolit with no crimp groove or you didn't want to crimp in the groove for whatever reason? Pretty hard to do with just a roll crimp but the collet crimp will force it to make a crimp groove wherever you choose.

Banned

I load .454 on my Hornady .45 Colt dies. Even loaded the .460 on them. All they say is ".45 cal."
    The crimps shown are exactly like some factory cast loads that pulled all other boolits with two shots, WAY too much and is harsh on brass. I can't imagine a boolit trying to open those things and see undersize boolits as they get sized forcing them crimps open. if you think the crimp "jumps" open I have news for you.
    The .454 needs two things, case tension and a roll crimp just to the bottom of the groove and no more.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a fcd for my 45 colt and 454,mine does not size down a .454 boolit at all.I hear so much internet **** about these it makes my head spin.Maybe I just got a good one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboss View Post
    I have a fcd for my 45 colt and 454,mine does not size down a .454 boolit at all.I hear so much internet **** about these it makes my head spin.Maybe I just got a good one.
    My Lee 45 Colt FCD also does not have issues with .454 boolits and under, however I've had two 45 ACP FCD's and they sized down boolits to .450-.449 in the "post sizing final stage".

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I can't imagine a boolit trying to open those things and see undersize boolits as they get sized forcing them crimps open.
    You see the case mouth laid flat out straight with the sides of the case? As in NO taper at all? How can it size down a boolit if it is STRAIGHT? Answer: It can't. Therefore by looking at that fired case, you should be able to stick a .432" boolit right into the case mouth okay?

Well, LOOKIE THERE! I stopped this post to go and check, LO AND BEHOLD a .432" boolit slides RIGHT into the fired case with just a little wiggling and finger pressure!

Well golly GEE Sarge! Why are all these people cutting down something they have NEVER TRIED? "I don't know Pyle, reminds me of my grandad saying it would never catch on the first time he saw a horseless carriage!"

You can cry foul if you want to Jim, fact is, THIS CRIMP WORKS.. I have fired the Buffalo Bore "Deer Grenade" with an even more drastic collet crimp, and none pulled on this end, you musta got a bad box of boolits..
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-16-2014 at 07:36 PM.