Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Blackpowder lube question fer the experts

Boolit Bub

Blackpowder lube question fer the experts

I was thunkin bout trying a lube made ferr blackpowder cartridge made of paraffin wax or bees wax mixed with anti-sieze grease. You know, the grey type anti-sieze grease.

Petroleum based grease fer blackpowder is supposed to be a no-no- but.....sometimes there may be exceptions to the rule.

For instance......allox is a petroleum based stuff but the right allox can be good to put in a blackpowder lube. Just gotta find the right one. There are lots of allox types.

Anywhooooo....just thought maybe someone has gone out on a limb and tried some wax with anti-sieze grease in it fer blackpowder lube. Anybody????????

While here I may as well ask whether or not there is anyone here that remembers using Hornady Blackpowder Lube ......maybe call Spit Patch and Spit Ball.
    It used to work wonders in my cap&ball revolvers keeping the barrels ,actually, shiny clean shot after shot. They discontinued the stuff about the time the "yellow stuff" fer lube dominated the market.
    It (Hornady blackpowder lube) was petroleum based but...worked real well.
    Last edited by Enyaw; 10-30-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: can't type well

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Enyaw ... your wasting your time and gray matter thinking about new ways to develop the Holy Grail Lube for black powder!
    There are many existing proven lubes both commercial and homemade used by national BPCR shooters that depend on a good lube to support their scores and match ranking at national target and silhouette events
    * SPG - Bullshop's NASA and DLG are 3 of the best commercial lubes
    * Emmetts home made recipe has been a favorite for years. My personal lube came from a 1943 article in National Riflemen:
    40% Mutton Tallow
    40% Parrafin, an alkane
    20% Beeswax

So if you want play around using AntiSeize - make some up and compare it to the good lubes
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure what neverSieze would bring to the mix or if it would dilute into the parrafin or beeswax . A was stated above there are many very good lubes for black powder cartridges out there and many proven mixs that can be made at home. I make emmerts improved or SPG. Both work very well and the emmerts is easy to make. The recipe for emmerts improved is 50% beeswax 40% unsalted crisco shortening 5% canola or olive oil 5% anhydrous lanolin. In a double boiler ( some use a slow cooker) melt beeswax , Crisco, and canola oil to liquid consistency and add lanolin stiring well and completly mixing ingredients. I use foil cup cake liners and tins to make lube cakes. I simply line a couple cup cake tins with these and ladle melted lube into them. It can be left in the container it was made in and melted to fill sizers or pan lube.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    When it comes to BP lubes, they have hundreds of recipes. Go to the BP cartridge section and put lubes in the search section. You will find more than you will ever be able to use. I'm like John Boy and make my own BP lube that I use in the Frontier Cartridge class in SASS shooting. I will tell you that any lube you decide to make, try adding some 100% pure lanolin. It will condition the bore over time and gives great results. I always purchased mine from a site that had the different chemicals to make makeup. Take Care Cajun Shooter
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Banned

Powdered nickel is not something I want in any of my gun barrels.

I use Emmert's, with lanolin. 45% beeswax, 40% Crisco salt-free shortening, 10% Canola oil, and 5% wool fat. I've used olive and peanut oil to good effect as well. What I'm going to try next is Murphy's oil soap to help bind it together. Another thing that would be good to try is some of the anti-oxidant food preservatives to help the lube last longer. Store the lube or lubed patches in a glass canning jar with sealing lid and ring.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Gear, I did that with my last batch of emmerts beeswax, crisco, canola, lanolin, and added 2 tablespoons of mmurphys oil soap to the mix. It seemed to mix better and stay mixed or in suspension better for me. Im also hoping in dry heat the soap will help hold moist breaths a little better when blow tubing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Gear, I did that with my last batch of emmerts beeswax, crisco, canola, lanolin, and added 2 tablespoons of mmurphys oil soap to the mix. It seemed to mix better and stay mixed or in suspension better for me. Im also hoping in dry heat the soap will help hold moist breaths a little better when blow tubing.
    Thanks for weighing in on that, it seemed like a good idea anyway. I just acquired two flinters and a .50-caliber percussion rifle, it will be time soon to get back to making smoke. Other than a few .45 Colt, .45 ACP, and .38 Special loads I keep in my range bag to further annoy tacticool types who complain of smokeless powder lube smoke at the range, I haven't fired any BP in over a year. Might even get back into the BPC thing again.

Gear

Banned

the one ingredient I never hear of anyone using that actually sucks moisture out of the air and might be of use is glycerine.

I don't use lube in my muzzle loader or I'd give it a try.

Boolit Master

For what its worth I've had great success as of late with dry tumble powder coating 320 grain Lee reals. Never had better accuracy or easier clean up, 10 to 12 shots before I need to run a dry patch down the pipe. And long term.storage is a non issue.

Boolit Mold
    Im actually having decent results with beeswax and liquid allox. Not quite sure of the proportions since I just kind of "eye-balled" it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Powdered nickel is not something I want in any of my gun barrels.
    Gear
    Now I gotta go study. I always thought that the anti-seize I had was made of powdered aluminum. The color sure is more soft and silver-like than I would expect from nickel, and probably a hunnert or more lug bolts/nuts/studs I have abused with that stuff have never show signs of abrasion that I would also expect from nickel.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Enyaw View Post
    I was thunkin bout trying a lube made ferr blackpowder cartridge made of paraffin wax or bees wax mixed with anti-sieze grease. You know, the grey type anti-sieze grease.
    What quality in the bullet lube do you think will be enhanced by using anti-seize grease?

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.