Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman PC gun (No air supply needed!)

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    This is great info. I'll keep this one in mind if my compressor ever gives up the ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Think of all the money AND callories AND inches on your waisteline you will save by NOT having to eat all that Coolwhip on all those pies....

(But I do love CoolWhip on my pie!!!)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Flea bay seller has this gun for 39.96 and anouther seller has cups for 25 bucks.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1950 View Post
    Flea bay seller has this gun for 39.96 and anouther seller has cups for 25 bucks.
    I would not trust a used and/or unknow source of anything to save just $10! And Amazon is FREE SHIPPING. And buyer purchase protction guarantee. No so with Ebay sellers normally.

banger

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I would not trust a used and/or unknow source of anything to save just $10! And Amazon is FREE SHIPPING. And buyer purchase protction guarantee. No so with Ebay sellers normally.

banger
    I got my gun on Ebay for $39.96 works fine,no problem,maybe I just got lucky,but I haven't seen anyone say they got a bad one there.morayman............
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
    when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by morayman View Post
    I got my gun on Ebay for $39.96 works fine,no problem,maybe I just got lucky,but I haven't seen anyone say they got a bad one there.morayman............
    I looked on fleebay, $39.96 didn't include the $12.95 shipping? If so the $50 free ship on Amazon is cheaper?

Boolit Grand Master
    $50 is less than $39.96 + 12.95 on my calculator!

Plus consumer protection thru Amazon if you need those warm fuzzies! And Amazon takes cc's. So there is another layer of financial protection for you.

I have had several bad experiences with PayPal and Ebay and do not use them for purchasing and payments anymore.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Who cares where anybody else got theirs...... post some pics of the boolits!!

I certainly could care less where the gun comes from,the point I want to make is these are not bad little guns for what we're doing with them.I don't know how long they'll hold up,but so far mines been fine ,no problems and excellent prefomance.
    Tumbled on the left sprayed on the right on the coaster.morayman..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powder coated 45 compared.jpg  
    Last edited by morayman; 10-13-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Nice looking, Morayman! I definitely put one of these little guns on the wish list. I got the HF and it works fine, but I do like the allure of no hoses as an option whenever mine quits working.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Nice looking, Morayman! I definitely put one of these little guns on the wish list. I got the HF and it works fine, but I do like the allure of no hoses as an option whenever mine quits working.
    I did just that and will prolly get one from somebody that has access to it for Christmas. Will be a good back up to the HF setup.

Boolit Master

So what's the catalog number for this puppy ?

If your looking for them in a Sears catalog you'll never find them,they don't make them anymore,That's why those of us that have them have either bought them from Amazon or Ebay.I 'm not bothered by the fact that they are not made any longer ,I have parts and extra cups so I'm in good shape.If your worried that it will break you might want to consider the Harbor Freight gun.I find that this gun is perfect for me and does a good job,and it hasn't broke yet,although there isn't much that can go wrong with this gun. morayman............
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    No Craftsman anymore! Dropped from their catalog. It was very expensive also!

Get it from Amazon like the OP said.

banger

Mine showed up yesterday

Now I just need less crappy weather......
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

May have to give this one a try. One reason i haven't tried pc was because of the equipment envolved. This seems like a very simple tool! I definitly like the no compressor part.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a similar spray gun a few months ago, but it didn't say "Craftsman" anywhere on the unit. Perhaps the one I got was a Craftsman reject? I like the principle/idea behind the sprayer, but I couldn't get mine to work. First, the clear plastic bottom part was ill fitting. The first time I tried to use it, powder blew out of the side faster than out of the nozzle. Mine was very difficult to disassemble and taking the part off and trying to seat it better was difficult. The lock for the piece broke after three uses, and I could not get a decent spray pattern. I returned it after three emails to the vendor who blamed me for all the problems (I am a life long machinist/mechanic so I think I know how take stuff apart without breaking it). I paid more than the $50 so I guess I got took twice! If it had worked at all I think it would have been a good addition to my shop...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I bought a similar spray gun a few months ago, but it didn't say "Craftsman" anywhere on the unit. Perhaps the one I got was a Craftsman reject? I like the principle/idea behind the sprayer, but I couldn't get mine to work. First, the clear plastic bottom part was ill fitting. The first time I tried to use it, powder blew out of the side faster than out of the nozzle. Mine was very difficult to disassemble and taking the part off and trying to seat it better was difficult. The lock for the piece broke after three uses, and I could not get a decent spray pattern. I returned it after three emails to the vendor who blamed me for all the problems (I am a life long machinist/mechanic so I think I know how take stuff apart without breaking it). I paid more than the $50 so I guess I got took twice! If it had worked at all I think it would have been a good addition to my shop...

Those are some of the problems I have read about over the past years with the CRAFTSMAN brand. Something wrong there. That is why I never bought one at Sears. I don't buy anything at Sears anymore. They have changed from the good old days of quality.

This one thru Amazon looks like the "C" brand but evidently must be built differently, as it does not exhibit any of the problems you listed or the ones I have read about with the "C" brand.

I figured for $50 I would take a gamble. So far I am satisfied!

bangerjim

Just ordered mine off Amazon. We'll see how she does when she shows up.

Well I got to use my gun this evening. Did 2 trays up real quick. Coating went on pretty easily and was nice'n'smooth

Issues arose when resizing though...I was getting PC and lead pushed back the base of the bullet. Also a little bit of chipping when the flashing was breaking at the very bottom. Was resizing from .362-.365 down to .358 I know this is a large amount however when I was dry tumbling I didn't have this issue. I believe it has to do with the flashing from the trays. The 2nd batch I did ended up a little better when I swirled the bullets in a tub before resizing knocking lots of the flashing off.

Boolit Grand Master
    That IS a lot of flash!!!! I normally see that much after 4-5 uses of the foil when ESPC'ing. Are you sure you have the printed "non-stick" side up on the NSAF? (don't ask why I know what it looks like!)

That 5-7 thou is definitely more that I have ever attempted, even with bare lead. You are bordering on swaging not sizing!

When the flash cracks off of a normal sizing, I have very little if any damage. But going down that much looks like it could be a problem for you.

I think it was Beagle that was trying to dump them while still rather warm, trying to minimize the flange. That might work for you? Or use a new piece of NSAF every coat?

Don't blame the Amazon gun. We all get flanging to some degree with the other ESPC guns also.

Keep us informed!

banger