WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some days you realize you are surrounded...

Banned
    southern California and sometimes Honolulu, hawaii
    Montana Charlie, You are absolutely right. I wait on her hand and foot. Feed and water her when ever she wants. Give her plenty of attention. The little cat already calls the shots! I should know better but I just go along with it.

I really don't understand it though. People are the dominate life form on the planet and yet a small, rodent eating, bug catching, solitary predator has a great deal of power and control over millions of us in every country. How could this happen? So many other small predator type animals are seldom seen and close to extinction and yet cats enjoy an ever higher position in society.

In the rural areas you might still be able to shoot a marauding cat. In the city it is woe to anyone that tries to bother one. My wife called from Honolulu recently to say someone is killing the stray cats on oahu. She found out about it on the evening news on tv! It was on for several nights. It stirred up the local people my wife talked to and they are now angry. I fully believe the natives will attack the culprit if they catch him. In Honolulu no one really cares if your car or bike is stolen but they sure care about the stray cat grandma or auntie feeds! Jay

Super Moderator

I use this trap, when I have a rodent problem. Works great! http://www.nooski.com/products/mouse-trap/#

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I use this trap, when I have a rodent problem. Works great! http://www.nooski.com/products/mouse-trap/#
    That looks like a winner, except for one thing.
    I was checking to see it's size when I realized it won't work for us.

We don't have any metric mice ... like the ones in New Zealand.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaystuw View Post
    Montana Charlie, You are absolutely right. I wait on her hand and foot. Feed and water her when ever she wants. Give her plenty of attention. The little cat already calls the shots! I should know better but I just go along with it.

I really don't understand it though. People are the dominate life form on the planet and yet a small, rodent eating, bug catching, solitary predator has a great deal of power and control over millions of us in every country. How could this happen? So many other small predator type animals are seldom seen and close to extinction and yet cats enjoy an ever higher position in society.

In the rural areas you might still be able to shoot a marauding cat. In the city it is woe to anyone that tries to bother one. My wife called from Honolulu recently to say someone is killing the stray cats on oahu. She found out about it on the evening news on tv! It was on for several nights. It stirred up the local people my wife talked to and they are now angry. I fully believe the natives will attack the culprit if they catch him. In Honolulu no one really cares if your car or bike is stolen but they sure care about the stray cat grandma or auntie feeds! Jay
    If you believe that your area has a stray cat problem there are a couple way to properly deal with it. Live traps and dropping the at the pound or calling animal control to come pick them up works here. It works even if they have a tag or even better if they have a tag because the owner can then come and pay the fine and pick them up from animal control. I have a neighbor who live traps local cats and then pays to have them spayed or neutered and releases them.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    That looks like a winner, except for one thing.
    I was checking to see it's size when I realized it won't work for us.

We don't have any metric mice ... like the ones in New Zealand.
    Do the mice there wear purple too or should one use purple rubber bands with the trap?
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    Do the mice there wear purple too or should one use purple rubber bands with the trap?
    Purple?
    New Zealand mice wear purple?
    That must look rather strange ...

Boolit Master
    I heard it is only when they are hunting, but I got that from the internet so...
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    We had a small mouse problem once at my work. They put trays of sticky yellow glue under a few of our desks after we left one evening. All of us were easy going about things, except for one guy... he always wore a suit, although none of us needed to, tried to act superior, and often mentioned how expensive his shoes were.

When we arrived that morning we noticed the traps, and were delighted to see that Mr. Fancy Pants had a tray under his desk.... and it had a mouse hanging out of it with its face sunk in the glue. He was besides himself when he arrived a few minutes later, and tried to kick the trap from under his desk and got his shoe stuck to it. Funny as he** as he shook his foot while trying to dislodge the trap, with the mouse flopping around -- and especially funny when he tried pulling it off by hand when I lied and told him that the glue ate through leather.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Banned
    Based on the descriptions, many of you are dealing with some species of rat, not mice. Very different animals, very different habits. Like hunting elk using techniques for whitetail.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on feral cats for residential rodent control. The mother of my present pest control contractor adopted me awhile back and when he's not off chasing females he's a pretty good hunter. Kinda miss my rabbits, tho.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

Live trapped my big rodent today wood chuck that was digging under everything. Relocated him 1 mile out of town to an abandoned farm site

Boolit Buddy
    When dealing with a large population of mice/rats i use bait boxes with bloc baits that have blood thinner in it four days after ingestion they become enimec and die.after you have control of the population you can go to snap traps or colony traps with imatation vanilla or almond on a cotton ball inside. Then i use copper stufit [woven copper] or hot foam to seal entry points.you cant start by using snap traps .they breed faster than you can catch them.you have to control the population before you can reduce it.

Boolit Buddy
    Not mouse related, but....

Mid 20's neighbor saw me planting corn in the garden. Came over and watched, then asked....wait for it....

Where do yes corn seed come from?

Glue Trap? Allrightythen! Is she gonna clean up the mess?

Quote Originally Posted by mnkyracer View Post

Mid 20's neighbor saw me planting corn in the garden. Came over and watched, then asked....wait for it....

oh boy...... that does not bode well for the future.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by mnkyracer View Post

Ask him where marijuana seeds come from ...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Ask him where marijuana seeds come from ...
    Doubt he knows that since you don't buy cannabis w/ seeds anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    You need an office cat...... and maybe some new co-workers.
    I big one that will eat the messing people.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Kinda lucky in that the bobcats seems to be excersizing population control over too many cats in my AO. Wish I oculd say the same for dogs...gotta shoot them myself. It does not help when the neighbors welfare daughter brings home dogs between knocking out babies and before you know it a pack of ferral and coydogs abound. Though it makes for good target practice !.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

"Would that attract mice?" she replies
    Here's your sign.......................