Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Powder coat setup shopping list

Boolit Bub

Powder coat setup shopping list

So you guys have talked me into giving PC a try. I had the opportunity to be close to a Harbor Freight yesterday and decided to pick up the setup.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC supplies 1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	99632I have read hundreds of posts about the ES method but couldn't find a complete shopping list for needed supplies, what I did get; HF gun
    HF red (3) didn't have black to try
    Target toaster oven
    No Stick foil
    Anything else I missed?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    All I can think of is, perhaps a cheap oven thermometer to check the temp. Some of the toaster models do not exactly match the dial. Looks like you're all good to go!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You will also need:

Aluminum roof flashing to cover your oven racks to make FLAT surfaces.

Washers/nuts to go under the foil if you use that method. I just set the slugs on the foil with great success.

Gloves to handle hot racks. I use those cheep white woven cotton gloves HF sells. Keeps the heat away long enough to pull racks out and set on bench.

Compressor

Air hose (check out in a thread where I use 1/4" fish tank tubing rather than heavy red air hose!)

Regulator ($6.00 one with gauge HF sells)

Air fittings

The Grace of God

Have fun! And welcome to the madness.

bangerjim

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Bullets to coat is a big part of it also. I like the medical forcepts to handle coated bullets if I spray then move to cooking tray and there always handy.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies. All set on the compressor, regulator, and hose. With four boys I found the regulator invaluable for airing bicycle, ATV, motorcycle tires. Gloves, not in the picture, but have plenty, everything else I can scrounge up.
    This was a spur of the moment decision, wife left me too long getting her hair done, and I was close to HF. Glad to know I didn't miss a major item.
    Hope to try it out tomorrow and maybe a picture of success........... or failure.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Agree on having bullets. I cast 60 lbs in a week and starting to run out of bullets to pc--less than 50 left.

I need more so I can try mixing colors--haven't had this much fun since I starting shooting cowboy
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Bub
    First attempt,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC 401175TC.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	99707 Lee 401-175TC Think they turned out pretty good, did have some flashing around bases but I do need to build a proper jig. Going to finish making brass and see what they do in the 401 PowerMag.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good job! ESPC is almost perfect every time! You will get a bit of flash at the bottom. Comes right off in the Lee sizing die. OOOOPPPPPS...we may have forgot to mention that! Most have them already, so did not even think of it.

Anyway, I get about 3-4 uses out of the NS foil B4 I take it off and use an new sheet.

I coat that same boolit. I love it matte black! In fact, most boolits look better in matte black, but just a few "doubters" on here instilled the "fear of the Lord" in a lot of folks about barrel abrasion. I do not worry about it at all and continue to use HF matte black as well as red, white, and yellow in mixes for other colors. Last time I checked, FMJ's with the crud that you get in your barrel during shooting is probably just as abrasive anyway.

Keep up the good work,

banger

Boolit Bub
    I don't have a Lee for this one, but flat on both ends it works nose down in a Lyman!
    Wanted to get the black while there but it was sold out, will order some though. I'm not scared.
    Thanks for the encouragement, TL452-230 next!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrtRacr09 View Post
    I don't have a Lee for this one, but flat on both ends it works nose down in a Lyman!
    Wanted to get the black while there but it was sold out, will order some though. I'm not scared.
    Thanks for the encouragement, TL452-230 next!!
    I do all the 45's Lee has all the way thru 300gn. I LOVE those heavy slugs. Shoot them over 3.6gn TightGroup and 4.3gn TrailBoss. Excellent load. Wife's favorite load in my lever actions.

Have Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banger

DRT - if you move the boolits to the oven with forceps you can put a really big bunch in there. Also the NS foil lasts almost forever. Coat nose down to eliminate the flash (just as easy to set and no flash on the base - base cooks fine), base down 2nd time to get complete coverage if needed or desired. Over spray never goes into the oven. Love those FN boolits.
    Whatever!