WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: My New Custom Swiss Vetterli Mold

My New Custom Swiss Vetterli Mold

I received my latest custom mold yesterday from Mountain Molds. A hefty double that cost about $90 delivered and took just eight weeks.

I designed it for my Swiss Vetterli that slugs at 0.430", has a long throat and uses brass 1.635" long. I've been using the Lee 310gr 44 Mag bullet (mine weighs 300gr with GC using my alloy), but it has shortcomings. I needed a nose 0.565" long to get the 2.200" required for feeding from the mag, wanted a bit more bullet in the neck, and did away with the gas check. I spec'd the weight to 335 grs with wheelweight and the length to 0.904" out of respect for the Vetterlis 1:26 twist.

Using WW + 2% Tin, bullets drop at 330grs and are 0.432" in diameter - right on. They drop well from the mold, but it's big and requires a lot of heat to get nice bullets. The Sprue Plate is large and drops big chunks of sprue when opened - that will take some getting used to. My mold has some rough edges as shown (I guess it was an end piece). I haven't shot the bullets yet, but so far I'm pleased - I got what I asked for and pretty quickly for a decent price.

L - Lee 310gr GC, R - MM 432335

The Mold

Last edited by Andy_P; 12-14-2007 at 08:37 AM.

Boolit Mold
    That looks like a dandy. I trimmed my first few cases a bit too short and it makes for crooked seating of the boolits. With the proper length of case I think it would come up to almost making the crimp groove on your new design.

Looking forward to the range report!

Noel

Boolit Master

Andy,
    That's a good looking boolit.
    I will be interested to see how it shoots.

Jack

Super Moderator

"The fit of the mold is sloppy in the RCBS handles I'm using and flop around a bit, taking some care to line up when I close them."

..............If you have a hobby shop around give'em a call an see if they carry a brass assortment. If so it will come in strips of various gauges, and widths. Use this for shimming the blocks on the handles. You can form it into a channel to go around the legs of the handles, then drill through for the mould's attaching screw. THis can make a world of difference in ease of use.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Good tip Buckshot - thanks.

Edit - The handles I was using and are pictured are not RCBS, but "no name" handles that are well made, but thinner even than RCBS, which are in turn thinner than Lyman. The mold works well with RCBS handles.
    Last edited by Andy_P; 12-14-2007 at 08:39 AM.

In Remebrance

You can also use soda/beer can stock or flashing for shim stock. I have my very first set of mould handles still. Made then up from old spring type hose clamp pliers. Had to use a hunk of soft copper tubing as a spacer on each side, but it worked then and still does!

Boolit Master at heavens range
    Andy: Try 13 grs. Unique in it. Thats about what I use in all Vetterli, From 300 gr. to 380 Gr. bullets, Some I shoot .005 oversize, Some of my rifles I reamed the neck out to take a case 1.700 long now. Lets us know how you do, Good looking mold. Smokemjoe- Swisshooter.

Thanks Joe. I've used that exact load and it works well. In fact, I think it's "THE LOAD" for low pressure cast bullet loads in large bore rifles, just like 13 grs of Red Dot is a general purpose load for small bore. I've used it in a:

- Snider
    - Mauser M71/84
    - Vetterli
    - Swedish Rolling Block
    - Beaumont

Boolit Master at heavens range
    Andy: Whats you use for brass in your Dutch Beaumont. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    Andy: Whats you use for brass in your Dutch Beaumont. Joe
    Starline 50/90.

andy would you happen to have the whole bullet made i would love to see the final product

Quote Originally Posted by jballs918 View Post
    andy would you happen to have the whole bullet made i would love to see the final product
    Here it is beside a 30/06. Loaded OAL is 2.560"

Boolit Buddy
    Andy, would you be intersesed in selling a few? I am having a time getting to 2.20 on my 69/71 with the boolits I have tried. I would be more than willing to purchase a mould if I could be sure they would work thru the mag.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    Tony: I saw your response this thread from 2008; I had the same problem with getting the COL of 2.2 in my Vetterli with the Lee 44 mag boolit. For my M78 Vetterli I trim the brass to about 1.6" and seat the Accurate Molds #43-330C boolit at exacly 2.2" and they work fine thru the magazine. Accurace is excellent with no leading (12.5 gr trailboss). My Vetterli bore is .4355 and I size the boolits to .436; they are a great fit in the Privi Lebel cases that I from the 41 Swiss from. With WW 348 Win brass, I have to ream the necks. If you can use .436 boolits (and they can be sized down without damage; the lube grooves are large) and you want to try some of mine send me your address as a PM and I'll send you some charge. I don't think that Lee is taking custom orders right now and Tom at Accurate Molds can make you a #43-330 mold in any size that you want..he does beautiful work. Take care.