Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tefgel

Boolit Bub

Tefgel

Has anyone tried TefGel spray on for boolit lube? I have been using it for sizing and is slippery as camel snot. Wondering if it would make a good boolit lube. For those that aren't familiar with it; it is in a spray can. It has plenty of solvent in it so it spays on really thin then dries to a clear very slippery grease.

Boolit Grand Master
    Slippery isn't always good for bullet lube. It is often very bad.

I also don't think a slippery grease is what I want on bullets in storage or on the nose of bullets in loaded ammo.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Slippery isn't always good for bullet lube. It is often very bad.

I also don't think a slippery grease is what I want on bullets in storage or on the nose of bullets in loaded ammo.
    Exactly, I can't say it better.

Boolit Grand Master
    A good bullet lube is about 50 things OTHER THAN something that is slick.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    We really need to call it something other than lube. It does way more than lubricate.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Capsize View Post
    Has anyone tried TefGel spray on for boolit lube? I have been using it for sizing and is slippery as camel snot. Wondering if it would make a good boolit lube. For those that aren't familiar with it; it is in a spray can. It has plenty of solvent in it so it spays on really thin then dries to a clear very slippery grease.
    Might be good as a case lube.

Boolit Bub
    Yep, I understand all the above there is a lot to casting and shooting cast I have to learn yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Capsize View Post
    Yep, I understand all the above there is a lot to casting and shooting cast I have to learn yet.
    Yes, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

People that have been doing this for 50 yrs. + started out with little support , little to read and little help from other shooters / casters.

The internet and forums like this are a God Send of information to young casters and shooters.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't forget that Ben didn't learn it all overnight either!

Please spend more time casting, loading, and shooting than you spend here. That is where real learning takes place. Practical experience is more important than anything.

""We really need to call it something other than lube. It does way more than lubricate.""

sealant

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
    ""We really need to call it something other than lube. It does way more than lubricate.""

sealant
    If that was all it did my form-a-gasket, and cotton string tests would have went alot better than they did......boolit loob, lubes it just happens to not be it's only job...too much "lube" interferes with it's other duties.......I am not sure of it's total job description but lube and sealant are BOTH required on it's resume.

Boolit Grand Master
    It does so much more than lubricate but lubrication is a part, but a part that needs to be kept in check.

Come on Mike, come up with a catchy term that sums it all up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Loobrisealnogallinonresidualicant?

Banned
    gazuntight

Boolit Grand Master
    Thank you.

Sadly, that still isn't a complete description.

Banned

if we knew exactly what it done it would make it a lot easier to make a guess at how to make it work perfectly every time.
    I really think it's job changes throughout the barrel, so it's qualifications need to change throughout the journey. [based on pressure]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    If that was all it did my form-a-gasket, and cotton string tests would have went alot better than they did......boolit loob, lubes it just happens to not be it's only job...too much "lube" interferes with it's other duties.......I am not sure of it's total job description but lube and sealant are BOTH required on it's resume.
    I looked into that stuff for about a millisecond, the problem is it's too dadgum sticky/tacky and doesn't slide through the bore very well at mach II.

BTDT with "stop-leak" lubes, the solids cause their own problems. Even graphite and soap fibers can be a problem if the pressure is high enough.

A lube DOES need to lube, but not really lube the boolit. I consider it more of a stop leak that has to be slippery enough to allow itself to slide through the bore. We know that plain COW filler can do the lubing and leak-stopping without actually lubing the boolit, as can dry or lubed paper.

Gear

Banned
    We know so much, but so little......keeps one just on the edge of frustration at times.......you should have seen the confetti from shooting boolits wrapped with cotton butchers string........kinda cool, but what a PIA process....makes paperpatch look like kids play.

Still not 100% sure what that "foray" taught me actually. It worked, but not as well as a good lube that is tune with it's load/barrel requirements.....glad I have a few recipes that are goodnuff.....hanging the alchemist hat on the hook.......trying desperately not to think about boolit loob in fact, but there are times as I drift off to sleep at night where I fail miserably at that task.

Boolit Grand Master
    Boolits wrapped in string? Dang man, you had it bad!

Banned

probably worked better than the rubber O-rings I tried once. [sigh]