Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer

Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer

Hi, Finally ready to get my first lube sizer and was wondering if the Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer is a good one. I'm not looking to do 1000 bullets per minute: but just tired of sizing my bullets through the lee sizers. I got a list of the mold top punches and the dies for the diameter , just wonder anyone experience with the Lyman, thanks

Boolit Master
    I have several of the Lyman tools all bought second hand. All have been treated gently. One came to me looking like it was only a few years old with minor wear. However the ram is pretty loose at full extension.
    I also have 2 RCBS tools. One the original Lubeamatic the other the Lubeamatic II. Both have seen quite a bit of use and yet both rams are still tight. Other than that the tools are very similar. They use the same top punches and dies.
    EDG

Nothing wrong with the Lee version. I size nose first in the LEE sizer, then lube in RCBS lubra matic. A simple flat nose punch will work on all flat nose bullets. Both the Lyman and RCBS have had alignment issues in the past which is why a flat nose punch is recommended. I modded one of my 38 caliber nose punches by grinding it flat, it works with all my flat nose bullets.

Thank you EDG

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Nothing wrong with the Lee version. I size nose first in the LEE sizer, then lube in RCBS lubra matic. A simple flat nose punch will work on all flat nose bullets. Both the Lyman and RCBS have had alignment issues in the past which is why a flat nose punch is recommended. I modded one of my 38 caliber nose punches by grinding it flat, it works with all my flat nose bullets.
    So I don't have to size with the lube sizer i could just lube?

Quote Originally Posted by bxchef29 View Post
    So I don't have to size with the lube sizer i could just lube?
    Yes...most of the sizing is done with the Lee sizer. I use the same size sizer in the RCBS sizer when adding lube. You will still feel sizing resistance in your Lyman, but a little less.

I use a .3570" sizer when sizing for my 357 Magnum. Cast bollets with tin/antimony/lead or tin/lead will spring back after sizing to about .3575-.3580"

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Yes...most of the sizing is done with the Lee sizer. I use the same size sizer in the RCBS sizer when adding lube. You will still feel sizing resistance in your Lyman, but a little less.

I use a .3570" sizer when sizing for my 357 Magnum. Cast bollets with tin/antimony/lead or tin/lead will spring back after sizing to about .3575-.3580"
    So you still have to purchase the lyman sizing dies to lube?, Sorry i don't know much about lube sizers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bxchef29 View Post
    Hi, Finally ready to get my first lube sizer and was wondering if the Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer is a good one. I'm not looking to do 1000 bullets per minute: but just tired of sizing my bullets through the lee sizers. I got a list of the mold top punches and the dies for the diameter , just wonder anyone experience with the Lyman, thanks
    I have Lyman 45, 450, 4500, and RCBS. Bought the RCBS (older, 1970s) new and the 4500 new. Never had an alignment problem with any of them. Of the 4 lubesizers, the 4500 is the poorly made one. I wouldn't be amazed to learn it was made in China. The casting is poorly finished, it leaked lube at the base around the pressure screw until I took it apart and worked it over. Also, the mounting surface of the base had a ridge on it which caused it to rock. Fixed that. I can see no reason to use push-thru dies if you are going to use a lube-sizer. I bought several 45s off Ebay back when prices were low, they are my favorites. I size and lube 17 bhn bullets with no problems.

So do you suggest a rcbs?, I like their stuff

? anyone

Boolit Master
    You can lube without sizing but it still takes a die. When you lube without sizing you use a die that is the same size as your bullet. The bullet is what is called a line to line fit. It is not sized but it is large enough to seal the top of the die so the lube does not escape the top of the die.
    I prefer the RCBS tools. The current Lubamatic II is pretty pricey and I never buy new stuff. The Lyman tools are much more common and they are adequate as long as you get one with a tight ram. To check the ram lower it to the full down position then see if the ram will wiggle. If it wiggles more than about .010 I would pass it up.
    The linkage in the RCBS and Lyman lube sizers are not as robust as the press that you have been using. For normal bullet sizing they work great.
    EDG

IMO I believe you get a more concentric bullet when you size nose first.

Try sizing larger diameter 45 caliber Linotype (22bhn) bullets in the Lyman or RCBS...you will bust a nut. Lots of strain on these type sizers.
    Last edited by detox; 11-09-2013 at 06:58 PM.

I had a 4500 and the ram wasn't lining up properly. It was also loose. Most of my bullets have flat noses so a flat top punch works well. See the description at Accurate Molds http://www.accuratemolds.com/topPunch.php. Eventually, I sold the 4500 and purchased a Magma/Star sizer. I'm glad I did.

Boolit Master
    I have an orange 450, a gray 450 and one brand new 4500, all three are fine with good alignment.