RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: whats your current gasoline price

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclogum bill View Post
    Back when Ethanol was taking hold I threw a rod on my old 72 Chevy pickup. Had a 350ci motor but I thought I might get better mileage with a 283ci that needing a rebuild , was free. Thats what I did, rebuilt it, Discovered it needed 305 heads to fit the alternator and stuff , but valves were compatible. Anyway it ran sweet with a two barrel carb. But it would not idle with ethanol, straight gas was fine. I noticed no difference in mileage with 283 vs the 350. Ten to 12 was all I got . But ethanol was and is a terrible idea. Does give you poorer mileage for sure. Government telling you you need to get better mileage and then telling you your stuck with ethanol makes little sense. I do like to drink a little corn squeezings now and then though.
    So you're saying you run a little better on the corn squeezins but your car don't huh...I believe that is the case with alot of folks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Ethanol has half the energy per pound as gasoline, so 10% ethanol 90% gas has 5% net less energy than straight
    gasoline. You should expect about 5% worse gas mileage as a general rule.

So if you get 15 mpg in your car/truck, expect that to drop to 14.25 mpg if all else us unchanged. My Honda gets
    about 35 mpg as a tank average with E10, so with straight gas, it should get 36.75 mpg.
    Yeah, I know how it *should* work, but that's not how it *does* work in *my* truck. I've experienced this quite a bit over the years when I was working projects out of the Houston area where *real* gas can be bought. I have to wonder if putting 10% *water* in the fuel instead of ethanol would not be any worse. I much prefered MTBE as an additive to gasoline than ethanol. Besides, I could use gasoline with MTBE in my aircraft whereas I cannot use gasoline with ethanol in it.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Grumman is right on about this. Any kind of ether is mo'betta' than any kind of alcohol for combustion consistency, provided the eventual product is stored without water contamination. Then, they are both bad! The main problem is in the piping industry. The pipeline companies do not allow alcohol shipment, but will permit MTBE. Therefore, it boils down to where the retail gas station is located for the most part and their associated mixing stations. Of course, we all know politics sneaks into this equation: in particular the EPA, Farm subsidies, and other congressional favoritisms? ... felix
    felix

$2.92 here in ABQ, NM...
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by abqcaster View Post
    $2.92 here in ABQ, NM...
    Can you ship us some?.

Boolit Master
    $2.84 around these parts now.

$2.85 to $2.93 87 with ethanol in Omaha NE --- Just got back from a trip to South West Kansas; gas was $0.25 to $0.35 more for same grade.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    $3.099 here in AL today. (I wish the guy across from him would sell it for $3.098 and I'd switch gas stations in a minute!! Boy, that extra $0.001 really adds up!!!!)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

It will sure add up when I make my rounds of the tire shops, hunting for lead....
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

$2.959 in Burleson, TX

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy

From Florida originally, but these days it's wherever my RV is parked
    I have heard it argued that even if your vehicle does not have a problem with ethanol in the fuel mix, putting the ethanol in there instead of in the driver results in more fuel consumed. The argument centered on the assumption that a driver that had consumed that much ethanol just would not be driving that much.

"Putting ethanol in gasoline is a waste of perfectly good corn squeezings"

So, let's assume a 20 gallon tank. At 10%, that means 2 gallons of ethanol. Don't know about ya'll, but 2 gallons of 200 proof ethanol is going to cause me to drive a LOT less and sleep a lot more.
    Home is where the RV is...

"assassinating a leader is morally justified when people have suffered under a tyrant for an extended period of time and has exhausted all legal and peaceful means to overthrow that leader" -- Abraham Lincoln
    Kind of ironic, don't ya' think?

Boolit Master

You guys have it easy, 3.69 and that is down from last week.

Boolit Buddy
    I am at a commercial fishing port and one old Harley rider tells me he fills his bike at the Marinea . Says you can still by Non ethanol gas there.

Tulsa,OK $2.80
    Okie

We have a saying in our house: No pity for self inflicted wounds!

Boolit Buddy

South of Houston at Exxon $2.819 down from the $2.899 there about a week ago.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by unclogum bill View Post
    I am at a commercial fishing port and one old Harley rider tells me he fills his bike at the Marinea . Says you can still by Non ethanol gas there.
    Well, if I'm willing to pay $5-6 per gallon, I can get 100 octane *leaded*. Which I have to burn in my plane since they have put ethanol in the auto fuel supply and thus I can't buy *unleaded*. Not sure how having to use leaded is better for the environment than unleaded with MTBE, but the eco-idiots have caused this.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Master
    3.60 in Reno 4.19 in Truckee Ca

Boolit Master

$2.99 this evening.

$ 3.299 here in WV................. $3.19 if you got to Kroger and use your card
    Sprue ™

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abqcaster View Post
    $2.92 here in ABQ, NM...
    Cheap by current standards in ABQ where there is no oilfield activity. Gasbuddy shows it even lower today. It's high in Lea County wher we live (the extreme southeast corner of the state) which is wholly dependant on the oil industry for its economy.

SWMBO and I took a road trip to see some historic New Mexico in late September includng the National Solar Observatory and Lincoln, where the Lincoln County War happened. Gas at home was $3.799 at EVERY station in town. Zero competition. In the remote mountain tourist trap of Cloudcroft it was $3.209 and $2.999 in Roswell. When we got home it was still $3.799. A couple of weeks later the local paper published an article that a gasoline price protest/rally was being organized by a local radio personality, independent of the radio station.

Even before the rally prices dropped about $0.25 all over town. One rally participant said that he saw a truck unload gas at a station in Hobbs at $3.79, followed it to Carlsbad and the same truck unloaded more fuel at $3.25 there. By the time of the rally the radio personality correctly reminded us not to be too happy about the price drop because at that time we were still paying 35-40 cents/gal more than surrounding cities.

It's at $3.29 now and surrounding communties in all directions outside of Hobbs and Seminole, TX are under $3.00. The two oil producing centers, the other being San Juan County (Farmington area) of NM have some of the highest gas prices. Gasoline is refined locally in the Farmigton area. Unfathomable.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris