MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: whats your current gasoline price

Gouvernuer NY been a long time since i was there . made me home sick

Boolit Master

$2.92 here just N. of the Dallas-Ft Worth wreck-o-plex! Lowest its been in a long time.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

Just traveled from San Antonio, TX to Franklin, TN. Saw prices between 2.88 and 3.05 in TX. Arkansas was a little higher most places but not much. I get home and the station up the road still has it at 3.42. Seems like I always get lucky like that!

Rick

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by skykingjohn View Post
    Gouvernuer NY been a long time since i was there . made me home sick
    You from here John or used to live here? I'm up in Macomb.

Boolit Master
    On land, it's $2.98 / gallon. On the water, $4.21 / gallon!

Winelover

Boolit Master
    $3.14 this weekend when I filled up.

Boolit Grand Master

Just filled up with Ethanol for $2.93 in Omaha!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The amount of alcohol in the gasoline at the pump should be measured before filling the tank. I have seen 20 percent in gasoline, and only a few engines will run on that. The PID code section within the computer would (probably) have its static coefficients out-of-line for that kind of gas, which then would corrupt the correct dynamic PID operational feedback demand values. One good way to tell is gas mileage on a long straight away with no change in engine demand. Better the gas mileage, better the coefficients for that gas, at least for highway travel. Stop and go driving corruption can be told by the engine not stabilizing QUICKLY at a stop sign. The problem there can be worn out sensors, for example, and that would have to be fixed to get overall mileage up. ... felix

It is always best to buy gasoline at the busiest gas station, especially if alcohol is included. Why? Because alcohol can separate from the gasoline and that amount can be left behind in the underground tank, such that the amount left behind would append to the amount within the new gasoline purchased by the gas station. The end result is that more alcohol is contained within the gas in that big tank than is designed for that kind of gas. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 10-30-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    I'm paying 3.45 for unleaded and 3.96 for diesel in the North Valleys of Reno. Being semi retired I find myself staying close to home anymore. Both my trucks get about 17 MPG. The only plus side of the high prices is that it has helped me cut way down on smoking. It's a 28 mile round trip to the nearest store to get a pack of smokes. I've also gotten good at not forgetting anything on my shopping lists when I go into Reno, that's a 48 mile round trip for me. I could move closer to town but I won't trade my peace and quiet for city life.

Boolit Buddy

Bought gasoline yesterday at Murphy Oil (Wal-Mart) in Marshall, Texas...$3.00 9/10 with my $.05 per gallon discount card...

rick

Boolit Master
    Our gas prices jumped from $3.15 up to $3.45 yesterday. Today, I saw some gas stations advertising ar $3.39

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    The amount of alcohol in the gasoline at the pump should be measured before filling the tank. I have seen 20 percent in gasoline, and only a few engines will run on that. The PID code section within the computer would (probably) have its static coefficients out-of-line for that kind of gas, which then would corrupt the correct dynamic PID operational feedback demand values. One good way to tell is gas mileage on a long straight away with no change in engine demand. Better the gas mileage, better the coefficients for that gas, at least for highway travel. Stop and go driving corruption can be told by the engine not stabilizing QUICKLY at a stop sign. The problem there can be worn out sensors, for example, and that would have to be fixed to get overall mileage up. ... felix

It is always best to buy gasoline at the busiest gas station, especially if alcohol is included. Why? Because alcohol can separate from the gasoline and that amount can be left behind in the underground tank, such that the amount left behind would append to the amount within the new gasoline purchased by the gas station. The end result is that more alcohol is contained within the gas in that big tank than is designed for that kind of gas. ... felix
    I get 12 mpg (at best) with gasoline that has been contaminated with ethanol and 16 mpg with real gasoline. But ethanol is supposed to reduce our consumption of gasoline, right? Not with my pickup.

So, let's figure a 100 mile trip...
    With ethanol contaminated gasoline, I use 8.33 gallons (100 miles / 12 mpg) of fuel and since only 90% of that is gasoline and the other 10% is the ethanol contamination, I'm using 7.5 gallons of actual gasoline for the trip and .83 gallons of the ethanol contaminant.
    With REAL gasoline, I use 6.25 gallons (100 miles / 16 mph) of actual gasoline for the trip.

So, the contamination of our fuel supply with ethanol is causing me to actually use more of the gasoline than if we were still using REAL gasoline. And that does not include the fuel that was used to produce that .83 gallons of ethanol that was used to contaminate our fuel supply. Maybe *some* vehicles can actually burn this cr*p, but my pickup HATES IT!
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Grand Master

Ethanol has nothing to do w/ using less gas. It has everything to do w/ government corn subsidies. The switch to flex fuel vehicles has done nothing but drive up the cost of new vehicles. And it makes no sense for myself in PA. I don't know of any E85 pumps anywhere in the eastern part of the state.

In Remebrance

The corn subsidies are done as I understand it. The heyday of $7-8.00 is done and it's back down in the $4.30 range now I think.

Boolit Buddy
    My helper filled up with gas two days ago and she said that it was $2.78, real gasoline with no ethanol. That's in central Oklahoma. I was kind of surprised.
    Anything that produces some sort of an explosion, can't be all bad.

44minimum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Ethanol has nothing to do w/ using less gas. It has everything to do w/ government corn subsidies. The switch to flex fuel vehicles has done nothing but drive up the cost of new vehicles. And it makes no sense for myself in PA. I don't know of any E85 pumps anywhere in the eastern part of the state.
    I'm not even talking about the E85 stuff. I'm just talking about the stuff that is "mildly" contaminated with ethanol -- E10.

Of course, any engine that I have that is carbureted seems to HATE having ethanol in the fuel also unless I am always driving it. If I let it sit up for a few months, I'm guaranteed to need to get the carb overhauled.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Buddy
    Back when Ethanol was taking hold I threw a rod on my old 72 Chevy pickup. Had a 350ci motor but I thought I might get better mileage with a 283ci that needing a rebuild , was free. Thats what I did, rebuilt it, Discovered it needed 305 heads to fit the alternator and stuff , but valves were compatible. Anyway it ran sweet with a two barrel carb. But it would not idle with ethanol, straight gas was fine. I noticed no difference in mileage with 283 vs the 350. Ten to 12 was all I got . But ethanol was and is a terrible idea. Does give you poorer mileage for sure. Government telling you you need to get better mileage and then telling you your stuck with ethanol makes little sense. I do like to drink a little corn squeezings now and then though.

$3.09 in SC the other day . Sunday

Boolit Grand Master

Ethanol has half the energy per pound as gasoline, so 10% ethanol 90% gas has 5% net less energy than straight
    gasoline. You should expect about 5% worse gas mileage as a general rule.

So if you get 15 mpg in your car/truck, expect that to drop to 14.25 mpg if all else us unchanged. My Honda gets
    about 35 mpg as a tank average with E10, so with straight gas, it should get 36.75 mpg.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by plmitch View Post
    $4.19 Campbell,CA this morning.
    Glad I don't do that commute anymore from Boulder Creek to Fremont-to South San Jose and then back to Boulder Creek. 100 miles a day!