Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: what to use for a 7mm mag

what to use for a 7mm mag

ok guys i have come to the conclusion that my casting is not for volume but more for me to have the bullets that i want. so this brings me to a search for the best 7mm mag out there. now please since this mold will most likely be used at about 100 or so per session speed is not an issue. i'm looking for quality. so a single or double hole is ok for this. this mold must last a long time as it will not be used alot , but for a long time. this bullet is going to be used in a remmington 700. i eed this bulllet to be a deer gun that i can use for shooting also. i need to be able to shot it enough to keep up with it. so now the big thing seems to be the recoil of the load but i also want to be able to tune this bullet as best i can. so first off what should a basic design type be for this mold. i'm pretty much clueless for something like this. so maybe with help from all of you all i can make something up pretty nice

Boolit Master

Depends on how many $'s you want to spend, for an off the shelf mold Lee's the cheapest with the 285-130-R, a round nose (could be used for hunting but not the best).
    Then comes Lyman with 287346 a 135rn and 287641 160rg, a small flat point for sillywet.
    Then RCBS with 2, the 7mm-145 and 7mm-168(the heaviest) again both having small flat points.
    And last but not least is Saeco with 4 molds(if there still making 4 designs) #281 a 145FP, (may be the best for hunting) then a 145 and 160 TC then the the 165SP.

All should shoot good, with the right combination. Heavy for the caliber should be the most accurate but not always will be.

I shoot the Saeco 270 in a Rem. 700 270 and get 1.25-1.5 inch groups @ 100
    And the RCBS 7mm-168 in an as issue K98 and get 2.0-2.5 inch groups @ 100 when my eyes are working good.

YMWV

Ain't this fun???
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

NEI has a 154 round nose that may work for you.

Boolit Master
    I have several 7mm moulds. The one that seemed to work best in my 7 mag was the RCBS 168 over [IIRC] 30/3031 and a dacron filler. The 7 mag is not necessarily the best cast boolit cartridge as it has a short neck and big boiler room, but you can get it to work.

Boolit Master
    I have a single cavity Lyman 7mm gas check mold that throws ~160 grain bullets. Want to borrow it?

John in Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by jballs918 View Post
    ok guys i have come to the conclusion that my casting is not for volume but more for me to have the bullets that i want. so this brings me to a search for the best 7mm mag out there. now please since this mold will most likely be used at about 100 or so per session speed is not an issue. i'm looking for quality. so a single or double hole is ok for this. this mold must last a long time as it will not be used alot , but for a long time. this bullet is going to be used in a remmington 700. i eed this bulllet to be a deer gun that i can use for shooting also. i need to be able to shot it enough to keep up with it. so now the big thing seems to be the recoil of the load but i also want to be able to tune this bullet as best i can. so first off what should a basic design type be for this mold. i'm pretty much clueless for something like this. so maybe with help from all of you all i can make something up pretty nice

Boolit Grand Master

Thumbs up

I don't think recoil should be too big of an issue with cast bullets. You won't be able to push them as hard as CB's so you should get as bad of recoil. I also doubt that you will shoot it enough that you will where out any mould including a lee as long as you take care of the mould. My offer still stands. I have several 7mm moulds you can try!
    Aim small, miss small!