WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: One last question regarding sights; tang, peep, apperature etc.,

Boolit Bub MasterGunnerySergeant's Avatar

One last question regarding sights; tang, peep, apperature etc.,

Nothing in my safe wears glass, never has, never will. They say: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Well I say; "behold the ugliness of a rifle, any rifle dressed in glass". Lever actions, like elegant women have curves and lines that God intended to catch the eye. Anything that takes away from those lines is a sin. However, my 336 came with an inexpensive variable scope and after tinkering with it for a while, it became apparent the rifle is capable of accuracy well beyond the ability of buckhorn sights. Today scope now shares space in a box with "Banjo Minnows", "True Motion Lures", the Ronco "Fishing Buddy" and several dozen 8-track tapes.

Moving along. Has anyone had any experience with the Lyman and/or Marble Tang Sights? I've looked at the Skinner receiver and think it my work very well but it reminds me of a naked scope mount, again with the lines.

So this is how I'm inclined. My Smith says he can install this folding sight
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/186...-carbine-99-44
    for close fast shooting and install a Lyman/Marbles Tang for long range, in my case that would be no more than 150 yards.

Anyone done anything similar? or have a different solution?
    Of course the Marine Corps is a Department of the Navy.
    We're the Men's Department

Boolit Master
    I have the Marbel's full buckhorn long on my 45LC carbine and like it. I have a site like that on an air rifle and like it once its set up but is a pain to zero with those wiggly locking screws. Its all guestimation but shoots fast.

Boolit Master
    I just recently put a Marbles tang sight on my Rossi 92 and it certainly is a major improvement over the buckhorn sight it came with. I've shot a lot of high power rifle competition using aperture sights and the results can approach using a low power optic as far as accuracy. Now I just need to replace that bead front sight with a hooded Lyman 17 (on order) to improve the sight picture a bit more. The aperture front insert certainly will help in load testing with a proper bulleye target, but I will have to switch to a post insert for the lever action silhouette matches.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Did the buckhorn show up in your sight picture with the Marbles? A Rossi is an 1892 reproduction isn't it, It looks like it will with my 336. I'd prefer to leave the buckhorn alone but I'm afraid I'll need that folding sight. I was even considering a Skinner barrel mounted peep but it sits higher than the buckhorn.

I bought tang sights for my model 64 and 86 rifles and a 94 carbine. Then I bought aperature sights for all three. The tang sights were in the worng location for me gunny. Others though don't seem to mind.

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGunnerySergeant View Post
    Did the buckhorn show up in your sight picture with the Marbles? A Rossi is an 1892 reproduction isn't it, It looks like it will with my 336. I'd prefer to leave the buckhorn alone but I'm afraid I'll need that folding sight. I was even considering a Skinner barrel mounted peep but it sits higher than the buckhorn.
    Yes the buckhorn will be in the sight picture if left on. I removed mine and installed a dovetail blank. If you want both it will require a folding rear sight.

Edited to add: Yes, the Rossi is a 92 type copy and the tang sights don't bother my grip on the rifle around the tang. BTW Semper Fi, gunny.
    Last edited by LynC2; 07-15-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Bub
    Try one first. It was my experience that based on my proclivity to crawl up on the stock a la military training and high power shooting that a tang sight is in the way for me. Take a look at your shooing position/stock weld and decide. A receiver mounted aperture may be a better decision.

Boolit Master
    MgSgt, all my levers wear some form of a ghost ring rear sight, and an XS front sight. Two of my levers wear an XS LeverRail for easy on/off scope mounting for load testing. Not to assume you have the same vision as I do, but I bet we're around the same age. Barrel mounted sights suck for those of us getting to know presbyoptia. Ghost rings let me shoot sub 2" groups at 100 with my Guide Gun or 336.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master
    I just recently put a Skinner barrel mounted peep sight on a Browning 1895 Win in .30-06. First loads out of the box were between 1/2 and 3/4" at 50 yards off a poor rest. I'm going to work on it at 100 to see what I can get it to do. It used the factory front sight and looks like it belongs on the rifle. GF

Why not leave the buckhorn sight for close ,fast, work keeping your tang sight lowered and zero a Lyman or Marbles for 150 yards. Use the raised tang sight for those longer shots when you'll take your shot over the buckhorn.

Quote Originally Posted by smithywess View Post
    Why not leave the buckhorn sight for close ,fast, work keeping your tang sight lowered and zero a Lyman or Marbles for 150 yards. Use the raised tang sight for those longer shots when you'll take your shot over the buckhorn.
    Hi Smithwess

I'd love to. But my gunsmith seems convinced that the buckhorn will intrude into the sight picture. Apparently this is common for a Marlin 336. I'm going to mount a Marbles Tang in any case. With respect to the rear sight, my choices seem to be remove the buckhorn and plug the hole, mount a Marbles folding buckhorn at nearly the cost of the tang sight or mount the 15.00 Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle sight. If the Marbles folding were something other than buckhorn I'd probable spend the dough but the price is a bit steep for another buckhorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    So I am inclined to mount tang sights on everything I can afford, and leave the barrel mounted rear sight alone if I can, adjusted for closer targets.
    Without the replaceable apertures screwed in, a tang sight is a Ghost ring.
    When shooting without the apperature, do you notice any intrusion of the rear sight into the sight picture? I shoot 03 Springfield Service Rifle it was modified in 1942 with a #10 USMC battle sight. After installing a Williams 5-D Receiver Mount a portion of the battle sight intruded into the sight picture with all but the smallest apperature. It nearly drove me to drink. I ended up removing the battle sight altogether. Apparently I'm too simple minded to ignore stuff that doesn't belong in the sight picture:

Replace the buckhorn rear barrel sight with a Lyman #16 ($14 http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-3161068 ) or a similar Marble's ( $22 http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod26039.aspx ) folder & go with two zeroes - an open sight/short range & a tanger/longer range.

With a bit of practice, it easy to hunt with the barrel sights "up" (and tang sight "down") incase of suddenly-presented game shots.

I've found that there's usually ample time to simultainously fold the bbl sight with the forward hand while raising the tang sight, when a longer shot at game presents itself.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    It is safe to assume that "Smith"will be putting this site on the barrel as it is a dovetailed mount.Thus replacing your rear sight. Lyman,and Williams make a peep sight already made to fit where there are holes on the side of your gun's receiver.Williams FP-336 Set Receiver Peep Sight with Front Fire Sight Marlin 336, 1894 (Installs at Rear Scope Mounting Holes) Aluminum Black $71.99. Then from Marlin there is XS Ghost-Ring Hunting Sight Set Marlin 336, 30AS and 1894 with Integral Ramp Fits Newer .700" Hole Space Front Base Steel Matte $81.00. There are three tang sights Lyman #2 Tang Peep Sight Marlin 30, 336, 1895, 1894 Steel Blue $89.99 .Marble's Tang Peep Sight Marlin 30, 336, 444, 1895 Steel Blue $126.99 .Varner Tang Peep Sight Marlin 30AS, 336, 444, 1895 Steel Blue $74.99. All at Midway!
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Vendor Sponsor

I'd go with a Lyman 66LA for your gun. I have one on my 336/.30-30 and it will cover everything you can shoot with that cartridge.

Personally I would look for and older steel one as opposed to buying a newer aluminum one. They are just better sights.

I also have two Marlins that have Williams aperture sights on them. They will get changed out when older Lyman 66LA's appear.

There is nothing wrong with the Williams sights, if you set them and leave them alone. I can't get either one of mine to repeat if I try to adjust them for elevation and then try to go back to the original setting.

The Lyman sights repeat every time.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

One last question....?
    By all means, keep them coming! I have a few leverguns that I refuse to scope and intend to buy a few more. Aperture sights are my only iron sight option these days and every thread like this helps your fellow presbyopians.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Marlin 1894 had a Bushnell scope on it for years. Then scope broke, was a cheap scope so off it came. Installed a Marble tang singt because of windage and elevation adjustment. Folding buckhorn wasn't real expensive. See pietro above. Caliber is 44 mag. Buckhorn is for 75 yds. tang for 150 yds. Buckhorn folds out of the way of the tang sight. I intend to convert from jacket to cast boolits but I haven't found a mold for a short boolit. my 44 molds are SWC that result in boolits that are 1.7+ " long. Much longer than the 1.68 length the gun is designed for. I have had repeated problems with cartridges not feeding from the magazine and I don't want to bring it home again with a magazine half full of boolits. Bottom line I have a Marlin with sights like you want but I haven't shot it enough to see if the two points of aim/elevation work out. Who ever gets it worked out should let the other know.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had a tang sight get tilted and so I see it as a less desirable option for a hunting gun. I used it with the aperture disk removed and it worked as a ghost ring at shorter ranges for CAS - it is super fast. For accuracy testing or longer ranges, screw in the aperture. If equipping a hunting rifle, my choice would be a receiver sight as it will not get caught up on as easily as a tang.

Not everyone sees things the same way. In the end, it is your personal preference that counts. Be honest about your typical hunting shot and effective range and that will guide you. Selecting a sight for a 150 yard shot that may happen less than 5% of the time may not be the wisest choice. Also, try a "ghost ring" sight at 150 yards and you may find it will not shoot to a precision of 3" but you will hit a pie plate every shot - so that may be good enough.

One last thought. It is easy to run your thumb up to a tang sight and assure that it is fully upright. If you practice that, it will be part of your "muscle memory", become automatic, and take almost no time to execute. If you get a rushed shot at less than 25 yards and "forget" to check the tang sight a slight divergence from fully erect will not cause a miss anyway.