Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Squib loads

Squib loads

I tried some cast boolit loads in my H&R 45/70 handi rifle for the first time today. I was using BLC2 powder which was purchased a few months ago and has been used in several other cartridges without a problem. It is also stored in a dark room which is kept at around 73 degrees F. I shot about three rounds through it and the pressure and velocity was fine, all of the powder burned. Then the next round barely sent the boolit out of the barrel. I checked the bore and made sure it was safe toshoot, then the next boolit got lodged in the bore. The powder was underneath of the stuck boolit and about half of the powder looks like new, while the other half is a yellow color.

What the heck happened? I purchased the brass new and this was my first time using it. I may try tumbling the brass in case there is any oil residue on them. Also, I used a dacron filler so I don't think it is due to the boolit lube contaminating the powder.

Boolit Grand Master

What bullet?

What powder charge?

What primer?

Larry Gibson

Sorry about that Larry. Lee 450 grain flat nose sized to .459. 40 grains BLC2 with filler. CCI 200 Large rifle primers.

Boolit Grand Master

BLC2 being a ball powder has a deterent on it (at least the older BLC2 did) to control the burning rate. Your load, even with a filler, using the milder CCI 200 did not ignite. Could have been due to a contaminated primer but in my experience it was the CCI 200 did not have sufficient flame temperature. I always use a magnum CCI 250 or a WLR (made for ball powders) when using ball powders.

Larry Gibson

Thanks for the help. I have some WLR primers so I will try those next week.

Hate is happend; however, I had the EXACT same thing happen with me shooting a 500S&W Mag ... 2 fired just fine, the 3rd boolit went about 1" down the barrel - leaving a clump of unburt yellow poweder in the cylinder .....

Quote Originally Posted by fish0123 View Post
    Thanks for the help. I have some WLR primers so I will try those next week.
    I can't say for certain but I think WLR stands for Winchester Large Rifle. I am thinking that you need "magnum" primers for your particular situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cronk View Post
    I can't say for certain but I think WLR stands for Winchester Large Rifle. I am thinking that you need "magnum" primers for your particular situation.
    Thanks for the observation Rich. I took what Larry said literally but I see what you are saying. Perhaps Larry is trying to say that the WLR primers burn hotter than the CCI 200? If not I will need to find some WLRM primers.

Boolit Grand Master

WLRs do burn hotter, they are made to ignite Winchesters line of ball powders. In the late '60s to late '70s I shot up a lot of BLC and BLC2 in the .308W, 7.62 and in my 45-70 Siamese Mauser. As I stated earlier I found the CCI 250 was needed for reliable ignition even with jacketed bullets, especially in colder weather conditions. In the early '70s I switched to WLR primers because they were made for ball powders and never had a a failure to ignite/burn again unless I got crazy low on the powder charge with too light of cast bullets. That was my fault as I knew BLC2 didn't ignite well with really reduced loads even with magnum primers.

Try the WLRs.

Larry Gibson

Thanks for the clarification Larry, that is good news because I have plenty of WLRs.

Boolit Master

OR - We could always read the package - goes something like this. "For standard and magnum loads". This is printed on all WW WLR primer packaging. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Captaint, I am aware of the labeling on the package.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same problem with H110 in 44mag. The problem was solved by applying a heavy roll crimp to elevate ignition pressures. A magnum primer would also be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by got_lead? View Post
    I had the same problem with H110 in 44mag. The problem was solved by applying a heavy roll crimp to elevate ignition pressures. A magnum primer would also be helpful.
    Good idea. I am still trying to perfect the crimp on the lee loader. You gave me an idea, it could be due to insufficient or uneven crimp as well. Ill try that and the magnum primers and see how it works.

Boolit Master

Like others, I tend to always use Winchester primers with ball powder. I also use them with military semi autos as they are said to be less likely to slam fire.

Dang, I hate squibs. They kind of ruin the shooting day for me.
    Thankfully it was in a single shot instead of an auto loader or DA revolver

I can't comment on the powder you use, but it seems that a heavier crimp can't hurt things
    In addition, go with Larry's advice, he knows his stuff

Fwiw I have had great results using varget and reloder 7 in my 45-70 handi, nary a squib or even bad shooting load yet. Still dialing it in but varget is the winner so far.

Got some imr 4064 I'm looking to try soon

One more thing: changing two variables at once is sometimes risky, when you are playing near max pressures.
    Good news is that the 45-70 handi is built tough and will prob not fail within the range you are working.