WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to cut up a chunk of lead and antimony alloy?

Boolit Mold

How to cut up a chunk of lead and antimony alloy?

A friend of mine gave me an 80 lb bar of lead and antimony. Does anybody have any ideas on how to cut it up into smaller chunks so I can make ingots out of it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Banned

Would be a good reason to get a smelter set-up, as if you need a reason to get a smelter set-up. You could just melt the whole thing and pour some ingots.

my thoughts exactly aquire a propane tank and safely cut it in half toss the ingot in and apply heat
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Mold
    Thats what I was asking is what is a good way to cut it in half? Would a plain hack saw serve the purpose?

What are the dimensions, yes a hack saw would work as would an ax, chisel etc. all have been tried here with varying success. There was some concern about dust etc, I subscribe to that theory so I use a lead only ax.

Boolit Master
    bass pro fish fryer on sale for $30 and a $30 harbor freight 6.5 quart cast iron dutch oven combined with a 20% off coupon from their web site. I am still waiting for the fryer to get delivered to the bass pro store, but there is another thread here. Others say that dutch oven will hold about 100 pounds of lead. I have a couple 70 pound bars to turn into ingots and a bunch of 5-20 pound chunks.

A small MAPP gas torch, used for copper plumbing, will melt 15 pound chunks pretty well. A cutting torch might let you melt through the center of the large brick. I tried a sawzall with a coarse blade, but it jammed up after a bit. The teeth were offset and I think the lead warmed up and then glued the teeth to the ingot.

If you cast from a 10-20 pound pot, you will still need a good way to clean up some bigger pieces. $60 isn't bad for a smelting setup.

Boolit Buddy
    Notch it with hammer and chisel,or ax,then lay it on a step or brick and give it a good smack with a BFH, it'll break.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
    Thats what I was asking is what is a good way to cut it in half? Would a plain hack saw serve the purpose?
    hacksaw aint the best tool to cut a propane tank in half ( a sawzall would be better ) nor is it the best thing to cut a ingot in half with , not to say that neither cant be done ( if you have the time the desire and a bit of patience ... ) to cut lead with any kind of saw fine teeth clog up fast so at least for lead a rougher blade would be better ( even a hand saw usually has coarser teeth than a hacksaw )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all that replied. You have given me some good ideas.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
    Thanks to all that replied. You have given me some good ideas.
    Just use a "SawsAll" and cut it up into any configuration you want! There is NO dust, just cut particles!

However, it always is a good idea to wear a quality breathing mask when dealing with any such materials!

Boolit Master
    Skilsaw works better than a Sawzall and won't vibrate your shoulders out of joint. Faster, by about a factor of 10, as well.

Boolit Master

If ya got a big melting pot like a propane tank, just hang from an engine crane or something overhead and have it sit in the pot. As it melts just lower slowly, course thats assuming a lot!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I agree with Alan in Vermont, a skilsaw with a metal cutting blade and it goes right through it!! yes the blades are pricy between 30 to 60 bucks depending on brand. My BIL's friend borrows his and cuts up old lead keels from boats with it.

Doc

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    if you use a power saw of some type, use a blade that has VERY few teeth per inch. Lead fills a 24 or 32 tooth hacksaw blade up real fast! I use a wood-cutting bandsaw with 6 teeth per inch in my portable bandsaw. Not really any dust....only filings. And it cuts like butter. Lead will not dull the saw much if you use a quality blade.....not HF!

A sawzAll will cut it .........and most of your fillings too! Bad vibes! I hate those saws.

Or you can notch and whack as suggested above. Very crude, but it shoud work.

Boolit Master
    A skilsaw or a table saw with any kind of blade will cut it but it of course throws a lot of chips that will hurt if you let yourself get hit by them.

Boolit Master

Turn a skilsaw plywood blade around backwards.

Hearing and eye protection.

cut over someething to catch "sawdust" and cut to size needed.

Watch out for the saw and soft body parts!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

If you are going to make a propane melting pot ! Before cutting into it remove the filler valve, fill the tank with water, it the only way to get all of the propane out ! Propane is 1.5 times the weight of air!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Just cut thru an 8" diameter by 4" thick hunk of soft lead last nite using an old woodcutting blade with 6 TPI in my 14" woodcutting bandsaw. Cuts like butter! Just feed rather s-l-o-w-l-y or the friction will melt the lead at the point of cut and you will have a gaulled mess then! Used an old blade that is a bit too dull for woodcutting.....I don't use one of my good ones!

80 pounds is small enough to melt, I wouldn't be messin around cutting it. Apply heat , flux , remove dross , make ingots simple.

Boolit Bub
    really??? no one has suggested shooting it in half yet?