MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart Ammo Prices

Post Wal-Mart Ammo Prices

There a lot of things that I don't like regarding Wal-mart, but I will give them this, they are not gouging people when they easily could. I was in the sporting goods section last night when I noticed a line forming quickly at the checkout counter. That line formed so fast I thought maybe they found a hidden box of Hostess snack cakes, so I got in line! Nope, just boolits. The "truck" had come in! I was curious to see what the prices were and how everyone would handle the situation. Two employees were working the deal, one sorting through the boxes and the other ringing people up. There were plenty (for the line anyway) of 45 auto, 45 S&W, and 7.62X39, but only one 50-box of 9mm and 4 (500 count) bulk boxes of .22s. They limited it to 2 per box of any one caliber per customer. Of course the first two customers snagged all of the .22s and the 9mm. What did suprise me was that the .22s ended up being like $16.97 per 500. That's what they have been for the last few years. A buddy of mine bought 150 rounds of .45 auto as well for $68. Not a steal by far, but also not a $1.00/round.

Giving everything going on these days, Sam Walton and Ole Roy would have both been proud. You know, they probably had something to do with that ammo showing up in the first place .

Boolit Master

This is good to hear. According to the "rumors", we are all never going to see ammo again. Turns out, the demand is just out weighing the supply. Go figure.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I will give it to Wal-Mart too for staying fair on their ammo prices!

Banned

That is cool but I sure am glad we can be at about $4 for 50 CASTING BOOLITS Now thats cool!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    No, not Sam and Roy, but someone who knows the score and truly CARES about customers, and their continual support. ... felix

Ya'll remember this! ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 03-15-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    felix

I agree bow down to Walmart! Heck they only ran every small shop out of the country and turned the USA into a Chinese flea market. That is a small price to pay to save a buck!
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldtoolsniper View Post
    I agree bow down to Walmart! Heck they only ran every small shop out of the country and turned the USA into a Chinese flea market. That is a small price to pay to save a buck!

For sure, they are both a blessing and a curse at the same time!

Wal-Mart is one of only a few that has not jacked up prices on ammo but I knew Wal-Mart wasn't going to jack up the price. My wife has worked for Wal-Mart since the mid 80's and I always buy my ammo and guns from them.

Boolit Grand Master

I saw a similar event several days ago. Only problem was all these guys seemed to have been here last time the truck arrived. I wonder if they were prolific shooters or profiteers. I'd have been in line too if not for more $4/box CB reloads on the shelf than I can carry.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

Our WalMart's truck comes at 9:00pm every day except Sun and Wed. Sporting Goods gal told me that the same guys are showing up and that she "cut off" a couple of them to give those she didn't recognize opportunity to buy.

Me too TX.........been able to amass 1000 rounds of CB loads for each caliber I own. No panic here. Just sittin back and enjoying the show.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I saw a similar event several days ago. Only problem was all these guys seemed to have been here last time the truck arrived. I wonder if they were prolific shooters or profiteers. I'd have been in line too if not for more $4/box CB reloads on the shelf than I can carry.

Boolit Master

Wal-Mart Ammo Prices

If you guys want to support a company that has not nor plans on gouging their customers, buy from Midway. I'm still getting AR mags for 13$ and other ammo. This is the complete opposite of cheaper than dirt.
    Last edited by Lizard333; 03-16-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Bought 3 Winchester 555 packs of .22 LR this morning at the Prescott, Az Walmart, Hwy 69. $23.17 each.

Wal Mart had Partizan .223 for something like $7.88/box, limit 3 a few weeks ago, its gone, keep watching for more.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldtoolsniper View Post
    Excuse me, but Walmart wouldn't have a leg to stand on if the local folks everywhere weren't ruled by the dollar. Walmart lured all the business away from the small shops, stores, and groceries, by offering an inferior product and inferior customer service, but 5-10% savings on monthly shopping bills. They wouldn't have made it very far in the original America, but this generation and the last, think "hey look, I saved 25 cents! I am so very smart!" Walmart sais, "oh yes you are and you deserve to be smart too! Mom and pop store down the street trusts that people will not abandon them for the big flashy savings, and the lure of the big chain. "This is America after all, right? People are smart. They know better than to believe these lies! We'll be ok when folks figure it out." 6 months later they close up shop for lack of business.
    All of their customers see the empty building from the walmart parking lot. "Oh dang! I used to love that little store! I was gonna go in there sometime and say hey. I guess they were tired of running it? What a shame."

Now, I realize that walmart has forced competition out and strong-armed companies into closing, but hear in my town, all they did was move in and the shoppers quit buying from the local places that had served them well for so many years.
    What really buggs me is when folks make comments about walmart closing down the local places. Walmart is as big and powerful as it is, because of a thousand greedy decisions by the consumers.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

It is too bad this demand hasn't been like this for years, the ammo mfrs could expand to keep up with the demand, whereby that'd create jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    If you guys want to support a company that has not nor plans on gouging their customers, buy from Midway. I'm still getting AR mags for 13$ and other ammo. This is the complete opposite of cheaper than dirt.
    Never bought from Cheaper than Dirt. Looked in their catalog a few times, and didn't see anything that was cheap in it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Excuse me, but Walmart wouldn't have a leg to stand on if the local folks everywhere weren't ruled by the dollar. Walmart lured all the business away from the small shops, stores, and groceries, by offering an inferior product and inferior customer service, but 5-10% savings on monthly shopping bills. They wouldn't have made it very far in the original America, but this generation and the last, think "hey look, I saved 25 cents! I am so very smart!" Walmart sais, "oh yes you are and you deserve to be smart too! Mom and pop store down the street trusts that people will not abandon them for the big flashy savings, and the lure of the big chain. "This is America after all, right? People are smart. They know better than to believe these lies! We'll be ok when folks figure it out." 6 months later they close up shop for lack of business.
    All of their customers see the empty building from the walmart parking lot. "Oh dang! I used to love that little store! I was gonna go in there sometime and say hey. I guess they were tired of running it? What a shame."

Now, I realize that walmart has forced competition out and strong-armed companies into closing, but hear in my town, all they did was move in and the shoppers quit buying from the local places that had served them well for so many years.
    What really buggs me is when folks make comments about walmart closing down the local places. Walmart is as big and powerful as it is, because of a thousand greedy decisions by the consumers.
    you're exactly right Tim. The consumer is a hypocrite in their own right. Me and the FIL have had many a good talk about this.
    He buys from the mom and pop shops when he can, with Walmart as the last option. But he'll readily go to Menards ect, and i've gotten onto him for this...and he realized I was right in that aspect.
    But onto my thoughts....we've talked many a time about how the consumer is a hypocrite, in that they want to buy "American Made", but then they see the American made price, vs the Walmart price.
    For instance, I need a t shirt, mom and pop shop the t shirt cost me $12.99, Walmart same t shirt just a different brand sell it for $8.99. No brainer there...i'm going to save me a few bucks and go to Walmart.
    Now here's the real clincher, that Walmart does. They show and advertise, the "roll back price", ect ect.
    What they are doing though, is getting a consumer in there, sees the prices, and before the consumer knows it....the $20 they were going to spend, just became $100.
    Yup..good old shyster move...Walmart...saving you money, but in the end you'll spend more money.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    you're exactly right Tim. The consumer is a hypocrite in their own right. Me and the FIL have had many a good talk about this.
    He buys from the mom and pop shops when he can, with Walmart as the last option. But he'll readily go to Menards ect, and i've gotten onto him for this...and he realized I was right in that aspect.
    But onto my thoughts....we've talked many a time about how the consumer is a hypocrite, in that they want to buy "American Made", but then they see the American made price, vs the Walmart price.
    For instance, I need a t shirt, mom and pop shop the t shirt cost me $12.99, Walmart same t shirt just a different brand sell it for $8.99. No brainer there...i'm going to save me a few bucks and go to Walmart.
    Now here's the real clincher, that Walmart does. They show and advertise, the "roll back price", ect ect.
    What they are doing though, is getting a consumer in there, sees the prices, and before the consumer knows it....the $20 they were going to spend, just became $100.
    Yup..good old shyster move...Walmart...saving you money, but in the end you'll spend more money.
    You are correct too, but in fact that is Tim's point. We are our own worst enemy. The only thing I would add to this is that there are alot of people out there that are now able to have things that they would not have because they have no money and money dictates every move they make. That microwave that was $100 at Sears is now at Walmart for $50 etc. There are some significant instances like that everywhere. Personally I will pay $12.99 for that shirt if I knew that someone in SC re-opened an old textile mill that has been shut down for years and started making that shirt here because I can afford to pay the extra. The fact is it's really hard to find things "MADE IN AMERICA" now.

Boolit Master
    My buck only goes so far and I'm tired of being chastised for shopping at Walmart. I buy my toiletries, hardware, dog food, my canned goods and condiments, my .22 ammo, fishing equipment, and the list goes on. The mom and pop stores are a thing of the past. Anybody looking to compete is now on the internet. I buy from AMAZON when price is better than local. I shop my local gunshops, and support them when I can. I have to say - I LOVE WALMART!.

Boolit Master

Ammo prices at the local Walmart have remained stable. No gouging, not even an increase that I can see. But both of the stores within my area have stopped carrying guns! And they have never had reloading supplies. I guess it depends on the market, but the sporting goods depts. in both stores seem to be continually shrinking! And you used to be able to order guns through Walmart. Not any more, at least in this area. Dont know if it competition from Basspro, Cabelas, etc. but Wallyworld seems to be getting out of the sporting goods business around here.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

inferior product ??? I hate to tell you this but if you look at ANY item in a mom & pop shop and then look at the same item with the same product # at wal-mart you are looking at the same item from the same producer. The item is made the same with the same parts in the same plant and on the same line there is NO difference at all other then mom & pop wants twice as much for the item. If wal-mart has suppliers make items for them that differ from items sold elsewhere they will have a different product #. Go buy a gun from any maker from mom & pop and then go to wal-mart and check the same gun product # and then you can see how well mom & pop treaded you. Mom & pop order 3-5 of any given item while wal-mart orders 30,000 - 50,000 that's how they can sell it so much cheaper. Wal-mart didn't start out big they started as a 5 & dime store but Sam Walton had a good business plan and reinvested the profits instead of waisting it like so many mom & pop shop owner do.