RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45 ACP load leading

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on what Larry said. Lube quality sounds like it needs to be explored. I always recommend starting
    with NRA 50-50 and once you have it all working, THEN start trying other stuff - ONE thing at
    a time.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Man
    I was able to inspect the throat with a 10X eye loupe today. At the lead of the throat 1/2 the circumference has a slight bevel (mainly just a good corner break) and the other 1/2 had a very sharp edge. There was also a burr in one of the grooves adjacent to a land. I removed the burr with a jewelers file and filed the sharp corner on the lead of the throat to match the other half of the barrel. It looks pretty good. Hope I don't learn another lesson here. I lightly polished the chamber and the throat lead in. A dummy round of the .453 bullet seated an 1.250 and lightly tapped in to headspace on the cartridge shows the throat lead and lands bud didn't show any evidence of shaving as it did previously. I tumbled 50 of the commercial .452 (actually mics .4525) with 2 coats of straight Lee alox (I found a tiny bit) and will load and shoot in the morning. Regards-Pitchnit

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitchnit View Post
    I was able to inspect the throat with a 10X eye loupe today. At the lead of the throat 1/2 the circumference has a slight bevel (mainly just a good corner break) and the other 1/2 had a very sharp edge. There was also a burr in one of the grooves adjacent to a land. I removed the burr with a jewelers file and filed the sharp corner on the lead of the throat to match the other half of the barrel. It looks pretty good. Hope I don't learn another lesson here. I lightly polished the chamber and the throat lead in. A dummy round of the .453 bullet seated an 1.250 and lightly tapped in to headspace on the cartridge shows the throat lead and lands bud didn't show any evidence of shaving as it did previously. I tumbled 50 of the commercial .452 (actually mics .4525) with 2 coats of straight Lee alox (I found a tiny bit) and will load and shoot in the morning. Regards-Pitchnit
    There you go now it sounds like you are on your way; the 45 auto isn't a picky round really. I've shot soft alloys for HP's round, hard BHN boolits because they simply shot better and everything in between. If the boolit fits, reloading practices are solid, and there's adequate lube for the boolit/powder combo you should be good to go providing your firearm is on the up and up.

The shallower the rifling is in your particular barrel the harder the alloy should be to prevent skidding. I have one barrel(a Kart no less) that the rifling is(to me anyway) too shallow, and that barrel shoots 16 to 20bhn best. By the time I got to 12ish bhn, my groups started scattering and trace leading began. Other barrels have rifling that look normal and are nice and crisp, then 12 shoots just fine.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Man
    I shot 50 of the commercial .4525 lubed with 2 coats of straight liquid alox. No lead, zero, zip, nada anywhere in the bore. So now I know it can be done and I have a baseline to work from. I think next I will try the commercial without the alox to try to confirm if it was the lube or the throat. Thanks all. Regards-Pitchnit

Shall we lay bets that it was the sharp edges?? Now you'll be having fun .
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchnit View Post
    I shot 50 of the commercial .4525 lubed with 2 coats of straight liquid alox. No lead, zero, zip, nada anywhere in the bore. So now I know it can be done and I have a baseline to work from. I think next I will try the commercial without the alox to try to confirm if it was the lube or the throat. Thanks all. Regards-Pitchnit
    If it 'twas the throat it would have leaded with the abve load.

Larry Gbson

Boolit Mold
    lswc sized to 452..no lead