Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Master Caster or Ballisti-Cast Mk IV?

Boolit Buddy

Master Caster or Ballisti-Cast Mk IV?

I’m looking to up my production rate of casting and have been looking at the Master Caster and the Ballisti-Cast Mark IV. I like both, but am leaning toward the Master Caster due to the fact that the Ballisti-Cast is twice as expensive.

For those that have used either or both, can I get some opinions? (like there is any shortage of those around here)

I did have one other question….how do you pre-heat the mold? Of do you just cast until it is hot? I use a hot plate to pre-heat molds normally, but I’m don’t know if pre-heating is possible on one of these.

Thanks in advance!
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

Boolit Master

I switched to a Master Caster last year and I love it! For increasing production, its less wear and tear on your arms an back compared to hand casting. Worth the money in my opinion, however I have not used the Ballisti-cast machines.

As for the molds, I use a small propane torch to pre-heat the molds (just be sure not to hold the flame in one spot...keep sweeping it back and forth over the cavities). Or, you can just start casting with a cold mold. The smaller caliber molds will heat up and produce nice bullets within 2 or 3 pours.
    Jon

Master Caster

I have been using a Master caster for about 8 years now as far as production goes I have (in a long day)cast up to 6000 bullets. as long as you feed it lead it will spit out bullets . as far as preheating the mould I just get the lead flowing and start to cast. I did the propaine worm up once and warped the mould . nevet will I do that again . I had to have a michine shop heat it cherry red and put it in a press to get it back into shape .my personal thoughts on the Master caster is I would not want anyother casting michine . it fufills all my needs . and when I have a problem that I can not figure out I give Magma a call and they always help me with the problem .D Crockett

L Ross
    Very happy with my Master Caster. I just heat the blocks by casting, goes pretty fast. I just accept the fact I cannot pre-heat as the price to pay for shelling out several hundred bullets per hour. Likewise I cannot visually cull during the casting procedure and have to do that after they cool.
    I normally do not like bevel base bullets by the way but got several sets of blocks with the Caster. I have to say they shoot very accurately. The 38-130-RNFP is ridiculously accurate out of my Rossi 357 carbines.

Duke

Moderator Emeritus

I've got the Master Caster and find it really hard to go back to hand casting when I need a bullet that I don't have a mold for that will fit the Master Caster. I had to do that for a friend a few weeks ago, and hand casting is such a chore versus the Master Caster.

You really can't cast any faster than with a six cavity mold, but you'll be able to cast in longer sessions and not feel like you've been beat up. I've spent 8+ hours at the Master Caster, and then went on to size and lube for a couple more hours. I could never do that with hand casting.

I highly recommend the machine.

I have no experience with the Ballisti-Cast machines, but I'm sure they're fine machines. I have a couple of their molds and they're good quality.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy

Thanks gents! Looks like I'll be ordering a Master Caster soon.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

Boolit Buddy

Could someone please post the dimensions of the base on a Master Caster? I looked on their website but couldn't find the actual dimensions (maybe I just overlooked it).

Depth, height, and width (including handle) would be most appreciated.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

Moderator Emeritus

The machine itself measures 13.5" long, 14" wide (including handle) and 18" tall.

I built a three sided "box" for mine to sit on that is 18" long, 13.5" wide and 7.5" tall. The part the base of the machine sets on is 3/4" plywood, with cutouts for the bullets and sprues to drop through. I also cut out the inside area behind where the bullets drop through so I could clean out the drippings, etc. I made a sliding tray for that purpose that I just pull out and dump the drippings from it back into the pot. The sides of the box are made from 2x8 lumber, with the front open. I made wooden boxes for catching the bullets and sprues, so when I want to empty them, I just slide the individual boxes out and dump the bullets into the wooden storage boxes I made for that purpose, and the sprues into the transfer ladle, then into the pot. The "box" is mounted to my bench and makes for a solid mount that is easy to use and maintain.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    The machine itself measures 13.5" long, 14" wide (including handle) and 18" tall.

I built a three sided "box" for mine to sit on that is 18" long, 13.5" wide and 7.5" tall. The part the base of the machine sets on is 3/4" plywood, with cutouts for the bullets and sprues to drop through. I also cut out the inside area behind where the bullets drop through so I could clean out the drippings, etc. I made a sliding tray for that purpose that I just pull out and dump the drippings from it back into the pot. The sides of the box are made from 2x8 lumber, with the front open. I made wooden boxes for catching the bullets and sprues, so when I want to empty them, I just slide the individual boxes out and dump the bullets into the wooden storage boxes I made for that purpose, and the sprues into the transfer ladle, then into the pot. The "box" is mounted to my bench and makes for a solid mount that is easy to use and maintain.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Thanks Fred! Any chance you could send me some photos of your setup?
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

Mounted mine hanging over the edge of a work bench. Screwed down to the wood top.
    Found a night stand about the right height to set in front of the bench to hold two boxes. One for the boolits and one for the sprue. I run this while setting in a kitchen chair.

If you set the caster up on a box frame you'll need a shop stool taller than a standard chair or stand while casting. I stand on concrete and steel grate daily through a work shift. So I like to sit down. If I did make a box I’d play around with where to position the caster. I’m thinking if it’s not hanging over the edge of your bench you’ll have to far to comfortably reach the handle from a chair.

Moderator Emeritus

I'll try to get a picture after I get back from working at the range today. We're getting ready for our annual match this coming weekend, so spending the whole week out there.

I use a bar stool to sit on in front of my Master Caster and it works just fine. I do all my loading and casting sitting down, since my knees have gotten old before the rest of me.........

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy
    Let me toss this out , since Ballisti-Cast Mark IV was in the running , if you're not in a hurry Magma MKV Bullet Masters can be found in that price range every now and then.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by angus6 View Post
    Let me toss this out , since Ballisti-Cast Mark IV was in the running , if you're not in a hurry Magma MKV Bullet Masters can be found in that price range every now and then.
    Thanks! I'm getting ready to order in the next week or so.... if you hear of anything, please let me know.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    Probably need more then a week to watch , but might be worth watching River of guns or elite deal seeker , never know what might pop up

This was from the 1st of the year, and theres been 3 machines with no extras for less since then on e/b

Includes several sets of molds:
    8 2 cavity .38 148 WC
    8 2 cavity .38 150 SWC
    8 2 cavity .45 200 SWCBB
    11 2 cavity .45 230 RN BB
    8 2 cavity .38 caliber 150 SWC (very light rust)
    4 2 cavity 9mm 124 RN (very light rust)
    the molds listed with light rust will easily clean up, just light surface rust.
    8 springs to hold mold halves together
    1 extra solenoid for lead pot valve
    1 extra heating element for lead pot
    wiring diagram included
    $2500 or best offer

How many bullets per hour do you need? The Mark IV is twice as fast as the master caster and uses Hensley & Gibbs style molds so they fill out completely with in the first few casts. It'll do around 1800 125 grain bullets per hour and 900 250 grain bullets. It also comes standard with a digital thermostat which is an additional option on the Master Caster. Time frame is an issue though. I'm backed up around 8 weeks on work at the moment.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ballisti-cast View Post
    How many bullets per hour do you need? The Mark IV is twice as fast as the master caster and uses Hensley & Gibbs style molds so they fill out completely with in the first few casts. It'll do around 1800 125 grain bullets per hour and 900 250 grain bullets. It also comes standard with a digital thermostat which is an additional option on the Master Caster. Time frame is an issue though. I'm backed up around 8 weeks on work at the moment.
    I do like the speed and features of the Ballisti-Cast, but it costs twice as much. I could wait 8 weeks but I'm afraid that the cost is out of my budget, especially with the additional cost of the molds.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    a digital control is a cheap easy diy add on to the master caster with info found on the forum