RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Have you received the "Special" from NRA?

I am not currently a member of the NRA however I do send them some a money order now and then. I figure that money gets better spent as 1/2 of if doesn't get spent trying to solicit MORE money from me.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    I'm curious, with all the organizations being rolled into the Homeland Security dept. doesn't this part no longer apply?
    This is a new rule that specifically prevents HS from rolling up BATF.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    HammerMTB:
    Wow! What a b!tch session this turned into! I've seen 'em before....
    I got one of the DVDs, months ago. I knew from the accompanying docs that it was free if I wanted to keep it. I kept it. I think that sends a message all by itself. They sent several "bills"
    I ignored every one. I contribute to NRA, but don't want to encourage this kind of fund-raising. NRA has done and continues to do a great deal of important work for all of us. I would hope we don't lose sight of that as all the b!tching about poorly thought out fund-raising tactics goes on.
    The worst part seems not to be their tactics, but how quickly we take umbrage at them and each other over something of so little consequence.
    Wow is right. So they did keep sending you bills, but then you didn't mind. Most do mind getting bills they didn't expect.

Joining the NRA costs only $10 per year. You don't have to get the magazine. Who reads those anyway?

Boolit Grand Master

The reason behind this type of fund raiser and many others from the NRA is really pretty simple. They do it because it's effective. Annoying? Yep, because it's not really up front and honest but you can bet the NRA knows to the penny what it costs to do this type of mailing and how much it brings in. If it weren't making money it would stop in a heart beat.

So it annoys you because it's somethingy you didn't order and didn't want, simply write return to sender on it and be done with it. I agree, it is annoying simply by the volume of mail they send out but if they simply sent out a request for money (they do) there is no doubt it wouldn't be as effective. As long as it's legal and ethical more power to them and every dime they make FOR ALL OF US.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Well, I can see Frank is not an NRA member. $10 a year?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

This is just what the antis would love to see. Dissention within the ranks.

As the saying goes..United we stand, Divided we fall.

I too had the DVD's sent for quite awhile. Then I had them stopped, and they did for about a year and then out of the blue they sent another one. I kept it, and the bills came in, and I threw them away. I didn't ask or want to be back on the DVD club again. That was a year ago and they've quit sending me a bill, and DVD's for that matter.

I can say proudly, I'm a life member, my wifes a yearly member, and so is my boy.
    But every quarter the NRA gets $25.00 from us, and it's like Christmas around here 2-3 times a week it seems, with stuff coming from Natchez, Midway and Midsouth, ect. Each and everytime I contribute to the NRA roundup. I'd say at best they get another $200+ / yr from me for that.

I would love to see someone start up a round up /collection at gunshows to be sent to groups like the NRA. Send it to them in the name of that gunshow. It might only be $50 or so but it's a step we need in solidarity.

To the people who don't belong I ask, what would we have right now if it wasn't for the NRA, SAF and GOA ect??
    We would be worse than Canada, Mexico, Australia, England, China, Venezuela, Cuba, and the list goes on.

To the people who do belong and contribute, I commend you.
    As sad as it sounds, the NRA is a lobbyist group that has to put money into politicians pockets. Most politicians could give a rats *** if we had any rights, let alone the Right to Bear Arms.
    The NRA could speak till they're blue in the face about they've got an 8 million + membership in their ranks, but without the capital to fight anti gun bills thru the courts, and the capital to show that a membership of 8 million+ has the clout to decide elections, they might as well be peeing in the wind.

I too don't always agree with NRA's decisions, but they haven't sold us out yet on the fight to keep and fight to expand our freedoms of gun ownership.
    One thing I've noticed in the last couple of years, is the movement towards pro gun ownership.
    CC permits are permissable in 49 of the 50 states now, more pro gun bills have been introduced in the state and federal gov'ts and are getting passed.
    More pro hunting bills have been introduced in the state and federal gov'ts and are getting passed.
    More shows are on TV than ever before that deals with guns and hunting.

I myself like to hope and think, this shift and change in attitudes towards guns has to do with the branching off of groups, like the NRA did back in the 80's, and started educating the public about gun safety like Eddie Eagle, NRA sponsored gun safety courses, educating the general public overall about the lies and myths the anti crowd puts out.
    It took alot of money, time and effort from the NRA and other groups, plus loads and loads of volunteers to educate and promote to a generation of kids that now are of the age where they are joining our ranks.

So even though, some on here don't agree with how the NRA operates and asks for money, the one thing that needs to be done is the showing of an unconditional unity of our ranks, regardless of whether you are rich or poor, or whether you agree with the NRA or not.

I'm sure the brady blunders have hoards of volunteers who surf the web, just looking at sites like this one, gathering ammunition in their quest to eliminate guns here in the U.S. and worldwide. Any little tid bit of info they can gather and use they will. Having heated arguements about the NRA is just one thing they love to see....

Dissention within the ranks.
    United we stand, Divided we fall.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    HammerMTB:

Wow is right. So they did keep sending you bills, but then you didn't mind. Most do mind getting bills they didn't expect.

Joining the NRA costs only $10 per year. You don't have to get the magazine. Who reads those anyway?
    If I took exception to every bill I get that is in some way incorrect or overtly false, I'd have had a heart attack from all the trouble and worry it got me. And all that long ago. I don't encourage them, but even if I don't expect them, I deal with them ALL in pretty short order. The majority of them can just be ignored. A few require a phone call. That doesn't take long, and off the bill goes any improper charges.

As far as NRA membership, I have been a member since 1976. Life member since 1980. Currently Patron member.
    Since you brought it up, I thought I'd share. Where are you on the continuum?
    Happy with their work and services, right?

Banned
    waksupi:
    Well, I can see Frank is not an NRA member. $10 a year?
    No, I'm a liberty member. I just don't get the magazine.

HammerMTB:
    If I took exception to every bill I get that is in some way incorrect or overtly false, I'd have had a heart attack from all the trouble and worry it got me. And all that long ago. I don't encourage them, but even if I don't expect them, I deal with them ALL in pretty short order. The majority of them can just be ignored. A few require a phone call. That doesn't take long, and off the bill goes any improper charges.
    I think you've got the right attitude. Use'em and lose'em.

NRA's OK. That video wasn't bad. I liked the part in the video where he said something like, "You in the house! I have a firearm and am prepared to use it!" Question: Is that really the best idea? Telling the intruder that you're armed and your location?
    Last edited by Frank; 11-22-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezershooter View Post
    I also don't care for the free gifts. "Made In China!"
    x2. I just loved seeing my free gift arrive after renewing my membership for 3 years, right up until I saw "MADE IN CHINA" stamped on it.

Boolit Buddy

There is a telephone number on the back of your NRA membership card. Dial the number and tell them to take you off of their junk mail list.

Boolit Buddy

Become a Life Member and vote for new leadership to end the use of junk mail.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post

NRA's OK. That video wasn't bad. I liked the part in the video where he said something like, "You in the house! I have a firearm and am prepared to use it!" Question: Is that really the best idea? Telling the intruder that you're armed and your location?
    That's the method recommended by NRA and a number of defensive firearms trainers. They also say to call 911 and leave the phone on so all that is recorded. All of it is there as defense in a "justifiable homicide" investigation.
    I see their point but every circumstance is different. No reason to turn this thread into a weapons and tactics discussion, but if someone wants to do things differently, I can understand there are many points of view.
    My point of view is that once someone is in my house without my permission, they'll be leaving on a stretcher.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HammerMTB View Post
    My point of view is that once someone is in my house without my permission, they'll be leaving on a stretcher.
    Same here, they would have to be called a "bullet sponge" the way they would be soaking up bullets.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Yes, some time back I received a cd, dvd, from NRA , I had not sent for. I never opened the thing. Later I got a bill from the knuckle heads wanting payment !!. I sent it back with a note to Respect the image of NRA and leave the so called free gift to the trash advertisers.!!. Also sent a letter to the NRA to get their act together,,enough greed for trash info !!..
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Master

.lie!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 10:36 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.