RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprue plate lube

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Dimethylpolysiloxane oil. Stands the heat, doesn't migrate, and stays clear. Bullplate works well, too.

Gear
    Damn-Ethyl-Prolly-still-likes-an-Oil, but I prefer Guiness! or three to lube me up.

I bought two bottles of the round bottom ones for my moulds

Dimethylpolysiloxane-Sounds like an ingredient in the meds I take for cholesterol problems.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    Dimethylpolysiloxane-Sounds like an ingredient in the meds I take for cholesterol problems.
    hehe . . . It is, oils the ole tubes right up.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I use 75W140 full synthetic oil, I had 1/2 a bottle left after changing out the seals and refilling the oil in the rear differential of my F150.....stuff works great it is like $20 for 32oz, but I had it left over.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

I'm real partial to the little Bullplate bottles that come with NOE molds. Put the red plastic cap on and you can kick the bottle all over the place. No spills!!! Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Dimethylpolysiloxane oil.
    I just HAD to google it to find out what it was. Found out it is an ingredient in McNugetts and Silly Putty.

I prefer Bullplate. I spilled half of my first bottle the very first time I used it. Now I use one of the little bottles supplied with NOE molds and refill as needed from what is left from the spilled bottle.

Jamesconn, save your change for a while and get a couple of bottles. I think it is $11.50 for two bottles shipping included. You might PM Bullshop to be sure. They are good people. Just mail the money order and they will mail the lube back to you.
    http://bullshop.gunloads.com/tbs_lube.htm
    Last edited by SciFiJim; 05-18-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Banned

Jim, you might as well just squeeze out a ribbon of tune-up grease and eat it if you have a Mcflurry with your nuggets, many milkshakes are thickened with fumed silica, so you get that and your silicone oil all at once! Now I'm getting hungry...........

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on the 2 cycle motor oil, I ran out of the other stuff once and remembered someone sugesting using the 2 cycle oil, I tried it and never went back, it works just as well or better than the other, not to mention the price difference.............................steg

Speaking of Bull Plate, I have a couple bottles and wondered if it's necessary to lube the spruce plate/top of mold each time you use that mold or is a one time application sufficient? It seems to still show after several casting sessions for me but was just curious.

Bullplate is the only way to fly and while you are at it pick up a couple of containers of his case sizing lube as well. His lube products really do what he says they will. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Bullplate is the ticket. I have enough little bottles from the NOE group buy molds to last a lifetime.

On a related note, does anyone notice a difference between Bullplate, and the sprue plate lube that Miha packages with his molds?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ in WY View Post
    Wonder what the samall bottle is that comes with the Mihec molds ///Anybody have an idea ????
    I was wondering the same.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Boolit Master

I was under the impression that the lube sample WAS Bullplate, am I wrong?
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Bullplate is the best thing I've used as well however if you are waiting then a high end synthetic 2 stroke oil is a good option. With either apply very, very little as too much can/will migrate into the cavities. It's better to use too less and have to had more than it is to use too much and have to stop to wash your mold out.
    That's funny that you mention this because I thought Bull Plate smelled a lot like the synthetic two stroke oil I by from Polaris for my quads.. Glad I'm not the only one.....
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Russ in WY View Post
    Wonder what the samall bottle is that comes with the Mihec molds ///Anybody have an idea ????
    Quote Originally Posted by That'll Do View Post
    On a related note, does anyone notice a difference between Bullplate, and the sprue plate lube that Miha packages with his molds?
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    I was under the impression that the lube sample WAS Bullplate, am I wrong?
    I remember reading a post by Miha answering this very question. He said the bottles he sends with his moulds are NOT BullPlate. They are his own recipe for sprue plate lube. That being said, I have both and they sure look, feel and smell the same. I think they are the same, it's just that Miha isn't getting it from Bullshop and then repackaging it. He just found the same solution for the problem.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    Speaking of Bull Plate, I have a couple bottles and wondered if it's necessary to lube the spruce plate/top of mold each time you use that mold or is a one time application sufficient? It seems to still show after several casting sessions for me but was just curious.
    I give the mould a wipe every session.
    The following is from a post by Bullshop:
    Since it takes so little I treat at the beginning of each session. After an hour or so if I feel any drag at all I just give a quick wipe before I drop the boolits and keep on going. I found a new mold needed to be treated 2 to 3 times in the first session but after the break in once at the beginning was good.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

bhn22
    LBT mould lube is simply described as "colloidal graphite", on his web site. I've had great success with it.

Boolit Master

Exclamation

colloidal graphite

Sounds like Preparation H or some suppository.

So, does anyone know what colloidal graphite is in a form that
    mere mortals can find readily ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    colloidal graphite

Sounds like Preparation H or some suppository.

So, does anyone know what colloidal graphite is in a form that
    mere mortals can find readily ?

It's graphite suspended in a bunch of stuff.

(kə′löid·əl ′gra′fīt)

(materials) Extremely fine flakes of graphite suspended in water, petroleum oil, castor oil, glycerin, or other liquids; used to provide conductive shields on the inside or outside surfaces of electron tubes.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/colloid...#ixzz1OWKmz3Lj

Boolit Master

Sounds like mold release agent to me...