Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Top Shot confirmed any thoughts you have on Shooting Disciplines?

Boolit Buddy

Has Top Shot confirmed any thoughts you have on Shooting Disciplines?

I'm curious. As the 2nd season started and I've been watching I was wondering if any of your suspicions of certain disciplines have been confirmed? For me, and I know I might catch some grief for this, but it appears that most IPSC people on there mostly don't get the job done. They can be fast but most seem to have lacked accuracy. Now, I know guys like Jerry Miculek and Rob Latham and others are accurate as they have proven themselves in countless disciplines with accuracy being a must.

Anyway, to me it seems like the IPSC guys turn out to be fast but not necessarily very accurate. When people with not much handgun experience are getting it done with a handgun and the IPSC guys don't in both seasons then the flash of running and gunning has been greatly diminished in my eyes. How about you?

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I think the producers may have been more interested in hiring the "Top People Likely To Look Good On A "Reality" Show Who Can Also Shoot Without Injuring Themselves", rather than the actual "Top Shot"s from those who auditioned.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

I'll give you some grief.

There is already enough tension between shooters of different disciplines in our little corner of the world.

Such snobbery ends up as range time allocation, range improvement expenditures, and sour feeling between folks that ought to be supporting one another on behalf of shooting sports in general.

Every one who is actively involved in the shooting sports (except collecting and competition for grand champion keyboard operator) should be supported, encouraged, and celebrated.

The whole world is not a reality T.V. competition. Damn it.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master

I participated in the old Smith & Wesson "Masters" from 1986 (the very first "Masters") through 1997. For those of you not familiar with the course of fire, it consisted of three events: (1) an Olympic-style .22 event, (2) a 3-stage, IPSC-style "action" event, and (3) a IHMSA-style long-range event out to 200M as well as both rifle and shotgun "sidematches". While I shot in the "Sportsman" (amateur) class, over those years, I had the opportunity to observe and become acquainted with some of the best "pros" of the day...fine folks like Kenny Tapp, Brian Enos, Rob Leatham, and Jimmy Clark Jr...and, let me tell you, while their strong suit might've been IPSC/action-style handgunning, every one of those guys was, at least, competent in multiple shooting disciplines. Believe me, watching Jerry Miculek on tape doesn't hold a candle to standing in the next shooter's box while he cleans a 5-plate shotgun stage in 2.6 seconds...with a 870 pump!

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    I'll give you some grief.

There is already enough tension between shooters of different disciplines in our little corner of the world.

Such snobbery ends up as range time allocation, range improvement expenditures, and sour feeling between folks that ought to be supporting one another on behalf of shooting sports in general.
    +1000!

Competition does funny, and often bad things to people. I shot a LOT of IPSC back in the late 80's and started out enjoying it. My primary gun was a 4" S&W 686, only lightly modified, but not enough to keep me from declaring it as a stock gun.

When you start beating the semi-auto guys and their race guns in the "D," then "C," and then "B," classes, the competition becomes less fun and more "whatever it takes to win."

My and a few other wheelgun shooters watched the semi-auto guys start laying out courses in which a six-shot revolver would be seriously handicapped versus an eight shot semi. Subtle, but the handicap was there. Then there were barricades in which the course "rule" was only the last two inches of the barrel could be exposed--knowing good and well the wheelgun shooters would get cylinder blowback. . .

Little things like that.

Finally said to hell with them and to hell with firearms competition. IPSC was the last straw.

So as far as stuff like Top Shots goes, I've never had any interest in watching it whatsoever. My own personal opinion is that competition "reality" shows are a heaping mountain of bravo-sierra. Survivor proved that after the first episode when the exposés started coming out.

The whole world is not a reality T.V. competition. Damn it.
    Agree, but we may be the last handful of living Americans who know that.

Boolit Grand Master

I do not think it is an accurate interpretation of the actual disciplines that these people are trying to emulate. It is just another trauma drama.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

bhn22
    It's just TV. A lot of the personal "situations" seem contrived. We are not all the strong young cannibals seen on the screen. It's no more real than any other show, in fact reality is so boring that they have do do something to juice up the show. I enjoy watching the competitions, and devising versions to put my kids through. We use smaller targets, though...

They cut & paste, edit, and mix up conversations to build FAKE DRAMA on these so called " reality shows"

I wish they'd stick to the shooting.

I've shot with guys like Matt Burkett, and Todd Jarrett.

They can SHOOT

Same goes for Miculek, Leatham, Enos, Koening, etc.

There are some VERY HIGHLY SKILLED IPSC shooters in this world

...but blowguns and tomahawks ! ? ! ? !

What the hell
    Last edited by waksupi; 03-19-2011 at 04:38 AM. Reason: language

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    I haven't watched any of the second season as I thought the first season was pretty bad.

Suspicions Confirmed:

1. It's pretty tough to pick up any gun that you haven't determined to be sighted in and hit much with it, unless you have a consistent background that shows your hits, and enough time and rounds to get yourself on target.

2. Shooters with a lot of experience will generally outshoot shooters with less experience, particularly at longer ranges. A guy with some high power type experience will whup up on a bench rest style shooter when you start mixing up ranges out farther than a couple hundred yards using iron sights.

3. TV has very little, if anything, to do with reality.

BD

Boolit Grand Master
    Reality TV has nothing to do with reality.
    I watched a couple of episodes, no need to watch more. I find it to be sort of silly in all reality.

Boolit Master
    hi,
    On the other side of the coin it is better than most of whats on the TV.
    Many of the shooters do have a good track recode in their kind of shooting sport/game.
    It puts them out of their comfort zone, good, shows the need to be more than a games-man.
    The show is drawing viewers.
    If that turns non-shooters/non-gun owners into shooters/gun owners that's good.
    I would like to see some more hunting oriented challenges on the show.
    All in all right now , I think it is a good P-R, show for us.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    I think the producers may have been more interested in hiring the "Top People Likely To Look Good On A "Reality" Show Who Can Also Shoot Without Injuring Themselves", rather than the actual "Top Shot"s from those who auditioned. Regards, Stew
    Bingo!

I've worked in the TV industry for 34 years and I assure you that AZ Stew's comment is 100% accurate.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

In Remembrance

Friends nephew

is a Marine and a Deputy Sheriff. He shoots offhand as well as I shoot from a bench. He is the one to beat here locally. He was nominated to be on the TV show. He declined saying that he is too mean and set in his ways to put up with the BS. I think he should have done it.
    I did beat him once at a pin shoot, I was lucky.
    I don't think I could handle playing to a script though I can throw a tomahawk and knife fairly well.
    I prefer scoring groups as opposed to reactionary targets.
    I about laughed myself silly watching last seasons shows. Some entertainment value. Too much fluff.
    Maybe there is a place for a TV show where the skill of shooters in several disciplines could be shown without the drama and backbiting.

Life is good

Boolit Master
    HI,
    I fear the glory days when we could occasionally see the Bianci (SP) cup or a cowboy action shoot on T.V. are gone ,SADLY.

Banned

I watched my first episode tonight, a rerun of the blowgun/tomahawk episode. After the first fifteen seconds Mrs. Geargnasher and I looked at each other with a mutual eye roll. She said "Top Drama". I couldn't agree more.

Gear

At least it's better than the other main gun show on cable, "Sons of Guns"! I wouldn't own a *** built by those guys on a bet.

Boolit Master

IMO they have good shooters that are good in one kind of shooting but spend so much of there time pratcing & shooting in that type of shooting that they lack the skills or pratice to shoot well in other types of shooting games. not well rounded shooters.
    IMO bullesey shooting is the springboard for all other types of shooting sports ! get this down pretty well and all the other shooting games fall into place with some pratice in that shooting game .

Boolit Buddy
    Bobthenailer,

I agree with the bullseye statement. I think if people had at least some time shooting bullseye they would be a lot better shot as a result of the trigger control taught. Many won't do it because for most action shooters it is like watching paint dry. I grew up in bullseye and wouldn't trade the skills learned for anything. The only problem I see some of them having with there transitions in action shooting is they think they have to shoot an xring on every shot instead of using advice I saw Jerry Miculek make, "I'm as accurate as I have to be". Meaning if you are wiping a line of steel plates down you don't have to hit them all perfectly centered. Nonetheless, it should the bedrock of anyone's shooting skills. IMHO.

Boolit Master

The question has to be asked, what are you guys and gals watching the TV for in the first place? I am usually making boolits, reloading cases, or cleaning the guns in the evenings.

There used to be a show, in the 70's I think, called "Celebrity Shoot" (is that right?) where shotguns, a dark sky, "fluorescent" colored skeet, and a concentric numbered "net" for scoring was used. Didn't get much Network exposure.

If the show generates interest in shooting sports then it is all good, "drama queens" or not. I can tolerate some new and innovative ways to "spice up" target shooting.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Blow guns at balloons last night. Caught about 2 min and that was all I could take. It is a farce!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying