Thread: Let's see your Casting Tables!

Boolit Master

I do my casting on my workbench in my shop, usually have two mould going:

Bullets are dropped into boxes next to the spru collection area:

God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    Here is mine. As you can see from the small pot, I'm a small scale caster. I mainly cast for obsolete BP cartridges and the cases are so expensive that the pot holds plenty of lead for my needs. I have it outside because I'm worried about lead fumes in the house. Sometimes it is a bit cold but around here, if it is below freezing for a day or two, it soon warms into at least the 40's and that is fine for casting.

I just use a piece of plywood to protect the side table of my grill and I'm ready to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Casting-table.jpg  

Boolit Master

I know I've posted this before, but I'm darned proud of my setup

10# pot premelts ingots and sprues for 20# casting pot. A separate 20 amp line with a heavy duty outlet powers both pots

Vented out window; plexiglass "garage door" acts as a shield and creates a draw

I really love how this all turned out.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a great venting set up Patrick L. I worked in a laboratory for years and yours is very similar to a commercial fume hood that is good for working with all sorts of toxic gases.

I would be happy to work inside with that.

Boolit Master

bench

mine is an old pallet i got from work. my only ventilation is that window (sucks in winter). the mold heater upper is a used square 8" electric skillet with its sides hacksawed out to let molds lay flat, not much but it's all good......
    Last edited by adrians; 05-26-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Where the magic happens.

Pretty low tech here

a piece of plywood and a couple of saw horses
    A Coleman stove burning regular unleaded gas using a stainless steel soup ladle for a ladle. Some years ago I wanted to try casting and didn't want to invest a lot of money only to find out I didn't like it / couldn't do it so I cobbled up this. Found out how much fun this is and it's really quite easy. I keep telling my self I'm going to get a bottom pour furnace but this set up works, and like they say if it works don't fix it. I did buy a bottom pour rockwell(?) ladle but I have much better luck with my converted soup scoop. Notice the wood handle? I read not to use a ladle with a plastic handle but couldn't figure out why because it seemed to work fine for me (for awhile). Well anyway in my first real casting session where I was casting a fair amount of boolits I discovered out why one shouldn't have a plastic handle. They MELT when they get hot. I was very lucky that when the handle started to slip off I was just taking in out of the melt and was able to get it down before a scoop of lead ended up on the ground. For a quick fix I went out and picked up a stick that looked right and with a saw I cut a slot. I drilled a couple of holes and wrapped it up with some old mechanics wire a had. That was quite a few boolits ago and its my go to ladle.

Take Care
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010075.jpg  
    'Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.' - Albert Einstein

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by flhroy View Post
    a piece of plywood and a couple of saw horses
    A Coleman stove burning regular unleaded gas using a stainless steel soup ladle for a ladle. Some years ago I wanted to try casting and didn't want to invest a lot of money only to find out I didn't like it / couldn't do it so I cobbled up this. Found out how much fun this is and it's really quite easy. I keep telling my self I'm going to get a bottom pour furnace but this set up works, and like they say if it works don't fix it. I did buy a bottom pour rockwell(?) ladle but I have much better luck with my converted soup scoop. Notice the wood handle? I read not to use a ladle with a plastic handle but couldn't figure out why because it seemed to work fine for me (for awhile). Well anyway in my first real casting session where I was casting a fair amount of boolits I discovered out why one shouldn't have a plastic handle. They MELT when they get hot. I was very lucky that when the handle started to slip off I was just taking in out of the melt and was able to get it down before a scoop of lead ended up on the ground. For a quick fix I went out and picked up a stick that looked right and with a saw I cut a slot. I drilled a couple of holes and wrapped it up with some old mechanics wire a had. That was quite a few boolits ago and its my go to ladle.

Take Care
    My coleman stove is a little newer but I think my pot is a little older, other than that ours could be twins.

Boolit Master
    This is my casting bench..Always ready to go when I am in the mood.........Terry

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by targetshootr View Post
    Where the magic happens.

That's a whole lot of magic ya got goin on there!
    Jon

Boolit Master
    Here's mine. I cast in the garage on an old section of kitchen counter with 2 drawers and cupboards under it, with a vent fan (just out of the picture) in the window right above the pot. Unlike targetshootr I have to move the boat out of the way so I can have enough room to make the magic happen. When I'm done casting, everything goes into the cupboards under the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    I do my casting on my workbench in my shop, usually have two mould going:

Bullets are dropped into boxes next to the spru collection area:

The carpet in those boxes doesn't burn or melt when you drop boolits in them?
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Master
    I love em. I have to get a pic of my setup. I thought I was lowtec, but now I feel part of the family! Heck, until recently, I was so low tec that I had to lie prone to cast!!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is my setup. I cast my 1st bullets yesterday. Had a blast, did not want to quit.
    kyswede