Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Going to kill a farm pig, what to use?

Boolit Master

Why is this even being asked?

.22 LR between the eyes has worked for decades.

Some of the previous posts seem weird.
    Dispatch the animal with a minimal of fuss and suffering.
    Then put them into the freezer.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    After 10 inches of rain over the last week, I'm pretty sure nothing is going to ricochet out of that mudpit!
    Silvercreek, we have the same thing gong on here. Our pen is so thick in mud right now.

Boolit Buddy
    I drove road truck's for a lot of years. Lot of meat, boxed and suspended. Went into Cleveland, Ohio one time and was down town delivering curb side. This little old lady stood there through the whole thing watching. Just before getting done she came over and asked me what it was! Beef, had a load of suspended beef on. Then she asked me where it came from. Greeley, Colo I told her. So she asked what it was made from! Now I figure she hasn't a clue what thee stuff was. So I asked her where she get's her meat from, the butcher store she said! True story, if someone had told me that and it had never happened to me I wouldn't have believed it. Old girl must have been late 70's but had lived in Cleveland all her life and never left the city.

Draw an imaginary line from one eye to the opposite ear and then the other. Where the lines cross, place a .22 LR boolit. End of pig, start of work. I have a Marlin 39a that has killed many pigs that way. As for SalPal..... I thought he was kidding..... still do....
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master

I'd suggest a .22 if you plan on boning the head. Lead particles aren't the concern, bone fragments are a problem. You smack it with a big caliber, that head will explode, driving bone, dirt and dander from the exterior of the head quite possibly into the the carcass itself That is why commercial producers use electricity or Carbon Dioxide to stun the hog prior to sticking. Able to save more and better quality of meat. At worst with a big caliber, you'll lose the jowls, cheek meat and tongue. The brains are a given. Good luck with your project.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Why not Give the poor animal a Break . and just buy your Pork from The supermarket like most people
    ROFLMAO: As if the Pork in the supermarket didn't die from a rod being hammered/driven into its forehead. LMAO

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    Why is this even being asked?

.22 LR between the eyes has worked for decades.

Some of the previous posts seem weird.
    Dispatch the animal with a minimal of fuss and suffering.
    Then put them into the freezer.
    Yep, it was always an old Stevens .22 single shot rifle.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

back in the day before 22 lr became almost unobtanium i would have suggested that , a lil corn in a 55 gallon barrel in goes the poor victim for a well deserved last meal and a quick painless end
    for many years the 22 was all we used on critters that we couldnt just dress with a columbian necktie too ( eg; why waste a bullet when you didnt have too ? ) in the end i think i'd suggest anything but that 223 fmj , whatever's cheap and handy
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

"Smoked ham"..that's a pig killed by the Mafia with a 22 behind the ear...works all the time.

Boolit Master
    Don't over think this endeavor, it's not all that complicated.

I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

I shoot my butcher hogs with my 30-30. I've done the .22, but I prefer my 30-30. I use my plinking load which is a 170 grain bullet pushed with 8 or so grains of Unique. It runs right around 1250 fps. I've found that the heavier bullet gives the pigs a harder "knock", and it does not blow up any meat or cause any damage. I shoot them while they are eating a pile of corn, center of an X between eyes and ears. No noise, doesnt bother the other pigs, etc. In the past, I have noticed the hogs have a little more "life" left in them when using the .22 even though it does kill them. I've even had them try to get back up. I know that shot placement is key, but I've not had one issue with the bigger boolit. I believe the 170 grain bullet just gives more of a shock factor all around. Also, at todays prices, its cheaper to shoot the 30-30 load.

I have thought about using a pistol before, but I find it too easy to just reach the barrel down - press it against the head - and pull the trigger. I could with a pistol too, but then I'd have to bend over and such.

When I butcher a hog I like to do things quick in order to cut the throat as soon as possible. The 30-30 load has hands down performed the job.

Boolit Buddy

Used a 22 Remington single shot, between the eyes , shorts or what ever was available, rolled them on their side and stuck the jugular vein to bleed out scauled, scraped and hung up to gut and cut out. A lot of hard work.

Boolit Buddy
    I will never ever scald and scrape another hog. Skin the beast. Hang it, wash it down good, and remove the skin. Almost like a deer or cow but with a LOT more fat. I can skin one while you run a tub full of water to heat. Not to mention how long it takes to heat the tub.

Go old school and use a black powder rifle.

As for the comment I'm sure he meant it to be sarcastic. Jeesh.

I just stocked my freezer with half of a cow. Free range rasied in southern Idaho. Best cow I have ever had.

It amazes me that the city folk who turn vegan have no idea what meat is our where it comes from.

Last edited by flyingmonkey35; 12-31-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Boolit Master

I've had to put down a few cows over the years and originally, we just used a .38 or .357, but I found that a standard velocity .22 LR aimed into the forehead and toward the brain stem works like a light switch on them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Why not Give the poor animal a Break . and just buy your Pork from The supermarket like most people
    That's got to be the funniest post I've seen this year. LOL!!!
    I hope you were kidding, but even if you were not,
    Wow. Just WOW.
    LOL!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Salpal just where do you think food comes from?

Eggs you don't have to kill the chicken, just keep it locked in a cage inside a very large metal building for 2 years and once its production of eggs slows down it is sold to big company's like Cambell's to make soup out of. Or in another way of putting it, slavery then the soup pot.
    Not all of them go to the packers. I lived next to a chicken farm about 35 years ago. They would load all the laid out hens in the back of a truck, and run the exhaust through the box to gas them. They would haul them to the dump to get rid of them.
    One time things didn't go as they planned. The chickens weren't gassed enough to be dead, only unconscious. They got them to the dump, and unloaded thousands of chickens in a pile to be buried, and left.
    In a short time, the fresh air started reviving the chickens, and they were wandering all over the dump and surrounding area. I don't recall how they dealt with the situation.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I'm still waiting to find my first person who does not know that beef comes from a cow or pork from a pig. Where do you find these folks?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    I'm still waiting to find my first person who does not know that beef comes from a cow or pork from a pig. Where do you find these folks?
    Well, I was at a Taco Bell a few years back and they had something called a "steak burrito". I asked the worker what type of meat was in it. They said, "steak". So, I asked them what kind of meat -- beef, pork, or whatever. They just said "steak". So, I was getting a bit flustered at this point and I asked what kind of animal did it come from -- cow, pig, chicken, dog, or something else. The worker just looked confused and said, "steak".

I told them that if they couldn't tell me whether the meat came from a cow or a dog, I would find somewhere else to eat and I left...

Boolit Master
    He was probably confused because the "steak" came from none of those animals. Probably just synthetic or soy based.