Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Freechex Craziness

Boolit Bub

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Who fricking cares!!

It's called free capitalism and basic economics. If you don't like what is said about an entrepreneur or his products, don't come here and read it. The only colored glasses I wear are focused on reality. One could say your biased in Charlie’s favor as you get your products from him for free. But I digress, who cares?
    So now I am being sarcastically accused of some sort of bias? Interesting. It is very difficult for me not to be highly enthusiastic over Charlie's most recent innovation. Using it I can make a couple thousand gas checks in an hour. Which I think is nothing short of a miracle! I will post another video of myself making two hundred gas checks in under five minutes if you don't believe this.

Charlie asked me to give him feedback on the FreeChex III to help him work the bugs out before he started selling them. I have never assumed that I would be keeping something that I have not paid for. I assume that he will want it back to see how it has held up with some fairly heavy use. There have been a few improvements made based on my useage and others. I do get to keep the thousands of gas checks that I have made however.

Sorry that you would like for me to not to speak my mind here. Most of the time I do just lurk unless I feel that I have something to share.

Thumbs up

VG, Watched your video last night and was impressed with how well , and quickly, the device worked. I think I'd be motivated to purchase one or two if I already owned a paper cutter and arbor press. Nice job!

Boolit Buddy
    Maven,

Do you own a drill press? These will work equally as well, a loading press can be used but leverage is not quite right (Charlie explained this in an e-mail, I dont know if he is a physicist but if not he certainly should be a math professor!).

Sheet aluminum can be cut easily with good scissors, a utility knife, or in my case I use rechargeal electric shears (unless I remember to grab the paper cutter from the office, it works best).

I'm probably preachig to the choir with the above advice, I know you have a deep knowledge of the cast boolit game and must certainly know all this, it will however serve for those who dont.

I am hoping my tool is in the mail today, the FC II is a slick little tool but this new one is so far advanced, there really is no other tool for sale that comes close, it is a design with a great deal of class.

As far as price, Charlie is running these as both buy it now AND auction, fixed price for those who jump at the chance and if you miss out you still have a chance to bid and win, what in the world is wrong with that?

JKH, No to the drill press (wish I did) , but yes to tin snips.

Boolit Buddy
    Maven,

Snips will do but a pain to use, material makes a huge difference. Aluminum flashing is fairly hard and cutting with scissors/snips/etc. can be rather hard on you're hands, newspaper lith plate cuts like butter because it is anealled (this is all that I use now), you can aneall flashing though with relative ease which will make t much easier to work with albiet not totally necessary.

At any rate, you can use you're loading press and cut the material by hand, so there is no real impediment if you want to use one of these, they are a little pricey but as you saw in the video, WOW! I would like to see any other check makers being marketed (not one off home made units) that can even come close to the speed an ease of the FC III.

Jeff

Boolit Bub

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    VG, Watched your video last night and was impressed with how well , and quickly, the device worked. I think I'd be motivated to purchase one or two if I already owned a paper cutter and arbor press. Nice job!
    I am glad you enjoyed the video Maven.

I paid only $49 for my arbor press at Harbor Freight and about $20 for the paper cutter. If you cut the material using something other than a paper cutter, you had better use gloves when you are pushing the metal through the die. The paper cutter leaves a lot less in the way of sharp little edges.

As JKH said there are other solutions for both cutting the material into strips and for using the actual FreeChex III. Charlie posted a video using one with a mallet.

"WOW! I would like to see any other check makers being marketed (not one off home made units) that can even come close to the speed an ease of the FC III."

And just what is wrong with (one off home made units). If you think about it Charlies FreeCheck tools must have started out just like that, home made!
    Here's one of those home made units that work in a reloading press and make checks just as fast and you don't have to buy a drill or arbor press to use the damn thing. And mine was making checks while Charlie was still thinking about his.
    Mr. Bill2

Boolit Buddy
    very nice tool Mr. Bill, but I think you are missing the point, the FC III is not limited to any one method of application, it has versatility that a press specific unit cannot attain.

This thread is speaking in terms of a marketed unit, not individual pieces made for personal consumption, no ill will towards you or other skilled individuals that have made their own, but it is a different realm. Now if you were to mass produce and market you're tool then a different discusson could ensue, however, such is not the case so the thread remains pertinent to Charlies commercial tools, his method of marketing and the merits of both, hence the name of the thread being "Feechex crazyness", not "homemade check tool crazyness".

That being said, if we had a different thread comparing the attributes of ALL check making tools that have been showcased on this board, I would still be of the same opinion concerning the FC III system. Does that mean I think youre's is no good? not in the least, I think it is an excellant tool and read about it with great interest long ago, you have to admit that a press only unit is limited as to scope of use, which means something to some people but I'll readily admit maybe not to others.

One last thing, of all the press mounted tools I have seen, youre's is much better than most, why dont you mass produce and market it? It certainly beats other's available that require the checks to be made in two steps with attending swapping of parts, I think thosse deisgns are clumsey and raher backwards when a single stroke toool is obviously easy to design and much more efficient.

Jeff