WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got bit by the scope tonight

Boolit Master

Got bit by the scope tonight

Today started IL ML weekend, and since last weekend (2nd shotgun) was not good to us , it started better than last. I bumped two going in, bedded right next to stand. I thought, well thats more deer than I had seen the pevious four days.

After one hour I had a small8pt dart right in, I had to grunt twice to get him to stop. At 30yds was having a hard time to get him in my cross hairs, got it and bang!! He just stood there?? What the #$^@$# a Doe just walked in on the other side of me. There I sat two deer and couldn't do a thing, knew i would get busted. Then as I wiped my face knew what happened. I rushed that shot and scope got me good, once on the forehead and twice on the nose.

The buck walked to the west in front of me and out into the field like nothing happened, couldn't believe i missed such an easy shot. Doe walked through timber and as soon as I dropped the primer she locked in on me and stood there. I knew what she was thinking that 300lb goofy guy aint right and took off.

Well it was a better start than second firearm season, so back out tomorrow.

DWD

Boolit Grand Master

Best of luck tomorrow!

Boolit Master

Haven't had it happen yet but I know it will one day. Dad got bit real hard by a 44 mag Contender many moons ago.

Boolit Buddy

I've been scoped twice, a 30-06 featherweight many years ago and a Mossberg 500 with the "new" 3 1\2 magnums #4 shot. I don't think I know anybody that hasnt got a "nearly scoped/got scoped" story. Its just part of it.

JD

Boolit Master

I got mine in the eighties from a 300 winchester magnum. Got excited shooting at a deer and didn't even know the scope got me until I saw blood. I wanted to see blood just not mine.

Boolit Grand Master

Thumper (45-70 Marlin Guide Gun) jammed my thumbnail into my nose a few weeks ago. Poor hand placement on my part but I was "just checking" to make sure he was still sighted in. He was, and I remembered why I call him Thumper, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Guess I should have added using a T/C Omega,and a full load of BH. First for me so, now I can say it happened, man it looks ugly this a.m. I think I've played back the scenario a dozen time since it happened, and I know its shooter error, but I was just so happy to see a dear my emotions got the best of me. I know the rumor is IL deer population is down, and I believe to a point it is. Our timber area gets hunted very little, and we try to keep track of what was taken by the neighbors. There was a ownership change to our timber to the south and they put alot of pressure on the back end last few weekends. I hold that to be the reason for not getting a shot, as I saw deer getting bumped from the timber so I know they are there.

Off to the woods!

Badge of honor - or dis-honer. Either way it hurts. My first bite was when a guy let me try his AK with scope. I only used irons at that time.
    Whatever!

First and only bite was a 35 rem contender that I just was not ready for .I learned very quickly .I really could not figure out how I had been so stupid .Broke my glasses and gave me a gash .Pretty humbling experience .

Man, you brought back a memory from way back in the day, for me. About 30 years ago on a hunt, in Wyoming, I had to rush a shot with my Vanguard .300 Win Mag and popped my forehead, at the eyebrow, really good. It almost knocked me out and I missed the shot as well. We were camped in the wilderness and our guide had to drive about 90 miles to get me stitched up, 4 of them! What Fun!!!
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

My senior year of high school my math teacher came to class on a Monday before deer season with a bandage on his right eyebrow. I knew what had happened the minute I saw it. He could be a bit pompous at times but I asked him what happened anyway. He said he had been sighting in his rifle and gave this long winded mathematical explanation about fulcrums, energy and such. When he was done I said "Oh, so you got a scope cut". He gave me the death look. Its a wonder I passed the class LOL!

I scoped myself with a magnum load with 300 gr. boolit in my in-line. 145" buck in the middle of a wheat field. I crawled to within 200 yds and decided it was a close as it was gonna get. 250 lbs crawling makes me breathe hard, so laying on my big belly in that wheat field I used to backpack to put under my rifle to try to steady it. Up and down, up and down, up and down, my breathing was killing my ability to hold steady. With all of my repositioning trying to hold steady, the rifle butt ended up under my shoulder (and in my armpit) when I squeezed the trigger. Lights out! Opened me up right between the eyes. Once I could see again, I had no idea where the buck ran to. He could have ran for cover in any direction. Now it's dark! The only blood I found was mine! I looked for 2 hours in the dark till the lights gave out. I returned at first light and found him 150 yds away in a deep revine. It was a good double-lung hit, but his still covered a lot of ground and all of his blood stayed inside.

I can promise you, that is the last time that will happen to me. It's kind of easy now though to be part of the "half-moon scar club" when setting around drinking a few beers with the other club members.

Welcome to the club!

Boolit Grand Master

My first centerfire rifle was a Winchester 94. Showed it to my Dad and He asked why I didn't talk to him first about it. I asked why and he kinds shrugged. I mounted a scope in the mount that fit the left side of the receiver.
    When I shot it the first time I new why I should have asked him. I'm left handed and laying my face over the action was not good and it gave me a bad scope cut.
    Sold it and bought a used Remington 788 in 308 with a left hand action. Sold it later and which I hadn't.

375 Weatherby Mag got me - I learned on the that one that one

Had some fun with .45-70 in Super 14 Contender as well even without a scope.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Big boolits at medium velocities have taught me the value of quality scopes with long eye relief. Short eye relief and stiff recoil can be hard on prescription eyewear....and noggins. I've used butterfly closures to good effect in that area but sometimes stitches are best. Stay after them and heal up soon!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Two of the biggest deer I ever killed gave my the halfmoon. Over my left shoulder big 8pt. Dropped him and liked to knocked me out due to funky angle and I was so focused on shot. While trying to tend to head and talking to my dad on phone telling him about big 8 an even bigger 8 stepped out exact same spot and was looking at his dead buddy. Told dad to hold on. Took the shot dropped it too and dang if i didn't scope myself again. Got a nice y scar. Picked phone back up dad asked you get him. I said yep and got my eye again too. Well worth it. I have them mounted looking at each other. Still got the scar and honestly could care less.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Grand Master

For me it was a Savage 110 in 7mm Mag. First shot tagged me, but did hit the pine knot at 40 yds. Just dumb luck i guess.

One and only, I got bashed good when I was 12 shooting prone with a Browning B78 in 405 winchester.

Boolit Master
    No luck last weekend, that was the only deer in range. Did find out why I missed, hit a small maple about 3" round. Got down Sunday to take a walk and as I was walking by the area I shot, just happened to look back and a 3X6" bare spot on the tree looked out of place. walked back and could see my bullet sticking out. the bare spot was the bark that was knocked off.

Boolit Master
    At age 63 I got my first scope bump. I'd been shooting all my life, both competition and hunting and never had it happen. It was with a TC Omega and a full charge of Blackhorn209. I found out right then and there why they sell "muzzle loading scopes".....longer eye relief. I put a Bushnell 3200 250reticle scope on the gun and got a full five inches of eye relief. A very light gun, heavy bullet, and full powder charge are a recipe for disaster. Don't feel bad about having a line on your forehead. You're not an idiot until you have an "X". That means you didn't learn the first time.