RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tacos!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Ok, boys: let's not fight. Anywhere south of the Red River and west of US 281 is the Taco Capital of the World...
    (East of 281, them folks are just "different"... they even put RICE in their BEANS!)
    That gets me in under the wire. I’m about 1/2 mile west of 281 and a few miles South of I20

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Ain't it great, living in God's Country?
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Ah! BEER! The ultimate appetizer!

When I was in school, someone had the bright idea that tuna tacos would be an excellent meal item in the school cafeteria...
    I don't think any amount of beer would have made THAT palatable! French dressing helped. A little...
    Try fresh mahi instead. Ymmm ...

Boolit Master
    So, you get to hear ALL the noise from Randolph, then...
    Pretty much all day long.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NiXWhbn.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	326142
    Isaiah 45 - I AM the Lord and there is none else

Boolit Buddy
    My neighbor got a invite to his working buddy’s deer lease with his buddy’s dad and brother,their Mexican American
    He’s a La. Cajun so he took all the fixings to cook a jambalaya for them, when he got back, said he had a great time, said first time I ever saw jambalaya eaten on a tortilla.
    Only in Texas

Moderator Emeritus

I had friends from Mexico when we lived in Idaho. Their kids fought over fresh corn tacos filled with mashed potatoes and cheese. They were really good but didn't compare to a good fish taco, IMO. I like soft shells, just finished a couple of ground beef, avocado slices and tomatoes. I am not much on cheese or sour cream but have Pace, Jacks Original, Tapatio and Hatch green sauce in the fridge.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

Ah! BEER! The ultimate appetizer!

When I was in school, someone had the bright idea that tuna tacos would be an excellent meal item in the school cafeteria...
    I don't think any amount of beer would have made THAT palatable! French dressing helped. A little...

Quote Originally Posted by danmat View Post
    first time I ever saw jambalaya eaten on a tortilla.
    Only in Texas

Many of the ethnic Mexicans I've been around and worked with- they use tortillas like we would a slice of bread.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

You got THAT right!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

I like hard shell flavor but refused to eat them for years because of the mess. Then I tried a hard shell inside a soft shell and really like that. Full flavor of both without the crumbling shell mess.

Boolit Man

We have a local place named "Street Tacos" that had interesting signs inside last time I was there.
    The signs say:
    We only sell Mexican Street Tacos.
    We only use American Cheese. Do no ask for Crema.
    Do not ask for sour cream.
    Do not ask for Salsa, we sell Mexican Street Tacos.
    Do not ask for Cilantro.
    Do not ask for wheat flour tortillas. We sell Mexican Street Tacos made with corn tortillas.
    Honduran restaurant is next door. (Yes, they have a sign saying a Honduran restaurant is next door if you want the stuff they won't sell).

The Honduran restaurant is actually a few doors down next to the Salvadoran Bakery.
    Last edited by K43; 05-01-2024 at 03:58 PM.

When you travel around the country as a military brat, you find some great food from odd sources. A friend living in NW FL from Kansas City would have taco parties at his house. His father was a doctor in the Mexican part of Kansas City, Kansas. Used to send his son suitcases full of frozen, in dry ice, hand rolled raw taco shells, onion skin thin. Deal was, you ticket was bring Lone Star long necks in an ice chest and your own tongs.
    All the women upon arrival helped with making 2 gal of salsa and platters of toppings, he cooked the meat in a big 5gal mess hall pot. 5 lbs meat with taco seasoning stirred in, cooked down, then swamped out the grease with white paper towels and tongs, then add water over the top of the meat and boil, stirring constantly until all the water is gone, repeat one time with the water. Meat has no grease left in it and is very tasty.
    You learned quick where to buy a spring SS taco forming tong for each hand. Like eating hot tacos made from potato chips. We never buy salsa. Son is a salsa freak, loves grilled steak with salsa as served in Argentina.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

When I first got to MCB Quantico, Virginia, I saw a Taco Bell just outside the base.
    I thought, 'Ahhh, a little bit of home'...
    So I went in, and was rather surprised to see the entire staff was Korean.

I thought, 'hmm,, this might be interesting'. But it was the same as Taco Bells back home.
    I got my order, and I was getting ready to leave, the guy at the counter asked, "Do you also want jap-o-leen peppers"?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by K43 View Post
    We have a local place named "Street Tacos" that had interesting signs inside last time I was there.
    The signs say:
    We only sell Mexican Street Tacos.
    We only use American Cheese. Do no ask for Crema.
    Do not ask for sour cream.
    Do not ask for Salsa, we sell Mexican Street Tacos.
    Do not ask for Cilantro.
    Do not ask for wheat flour tortillas. We sell Mexican Street Tacos made with corn tortillas.
    Honduran restaurant is next door. (Yes, they have a sign saying a Honduran restaurant is next door if you want the stuff they won't sell).

The Honduran restaurant is actually a few doors down next to the Salvadoran Bakery.
    I would ask if the street tacos had asphalt in them or just concrete.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

"Street Tacos" is a euphemism for "Road Kill"...

Boolit Man

"Street Tacos" is a euphemism for "Road Kill"...
    This is a real restaurant with Health Department inspections (not that that means much in PG Co. MD). It's not like the guy with the cart outside the bars in San Luis or Tijuana.

Boolit Buddy
    40 years ago there was a humble greasy spoon cafe/beer joint/pool hall in Austin, called Hector’s Taco Flats. Their sign out front proclaimed “OVER 2000 TACOS RETURNED”. Periodically they would amend the sign to a larger number.

Inside they had a sign stating “WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SERVE REFUSE TO ANYONE”

Good times.

Was explaining the origins of the name...

I have a problem - I like blue corn taco shells and white corn too. Both are awesome in their own way. I use ground beef (85/15) and put chopped tomatoes, lettuce, and shredded cheddar on the table along with salsa. The ground beef gets cooked with 1 tablespoon of chili powder, one teaspoon of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Yummy! Note - there needs to be refried beans too.