RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for bullet recommendations - 38 special

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee 358-150-1R in .38 Long Colt brass. Crimped in the groove it is smooth and fast loading. Because the boolit loads so deep, it is only a few thousandths longer than the typical Short Colt gamer load with 158 grain RN that load much farther out of the brass.

Spend the money on TK Custom moon clips. They really are that much better.

This is the Lee boolit in .38 Special brass before I moved to the Long Colt. Note how deep the boolit seats and how smooth the cartridge is with the roll crimp.

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee .38-150SWC shoots well. I also cast the Lee.38-158FRN and it shoots good. On my next day at the range another test load is 9-122TC PC'd up to .358-122. But if I were to punch paper I'd like an MP 38-148 hollow base wadcutter. A shooter in another forum says that they are exceptionally accurate

Boolit Master
    I got an Accurate 36-125D that is my favorite with a speedloader. The TC is long enough so if you get it close it'll drop right in place. The TC slopes to just shy of the crimp groove. It's got a single lube groove or you can PC it if you like. Shoots great with any of the fast burning pistol powders with light recoil in my model 19. Got a big dot front sight and the factory rear. Just a fun gun to shoot and I don't have to go searching in the grass when I get lazy and don't keep the range scalped.

I shoot the same bullet in my model 49 too. It's easy for the ladies and kids to load when they get a shooting lesson.
    Last edited by jsizemore; 04-25-2024 at 06:36 PM.

Boolit Mold
    As far as accuracy goes, I've had great success with the Ideal/Lyman 357446, cast with old school vintage wheel weights (not the new junk). Works great in both .38 Spl and .357 very well. But..it is SWC and I would heed what advice you have gotten about that shape vs. speed/easy of loading. I'm sure the top shooters will be more than happy to share advice.

I wouldn't over look one of the Lee tumble lube options either, if you are really going to run through slugs, speed at lube and sizing will come in handy. I like my Lyman 450 lube/sizer.....but it takes more time.

Boolit Master
    Since you say Power factor is not an issue, I'm taking that to mean you are only required to hit the steel plates and not knock them over, so a heavy bullet isn't needed. IF that's true, I love the Lee 358-125-RF for 38 Special and one reason is how easily it slides into the chamber having no shoulder to hang up on. Low recoil and saves on your lead supply.

Boolit Mold
    I have been shooting IPSC and we have a concealed carry night. Shooting a 5 shot SP-101 is really a handicap but i enjoy revolvers. Have found that 135 RNFP will make 38 sp power factor in a 38 short case and really easy reloads with speed loaders.