Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9x33R Whisper 250g

9x33R Whisper 250g

Ok its just the European name for the 357 magnum but when shot in a Ruger @1A CHP or my new Handi-rifle 357 it needed an exotic name. I have shot 250-280g rifle bullets in my 357 rifle for 20 or so years. My new current Handi is throated very long and will chamber long seated rifle bullets. It shoots as well as my #1 or a custom martini I once owned.It was very windy today so most i did was at 50 yards.The few I shot at 100 were 1" tall by about 2" wide. At the end of the day I used 6.7g of Bullseye ( what my little dandy rotor #12 throws) and a Cramer 9c 250g@ 1140 fps and at 50 it was just over 1/2" groups in the wind. I also shot the RCBS 35-250 SP with all the TrailBoss it would hold(7g) and it also shot well @ 975.Oh yea the bullets were cast two hours before I shot them. Breaking all of the "rules"

It makes the 300 AAC Blackout in a single shot or bolt obsolete<G>If loaded "hot" with R7 you can get about 1400 fps. Anything slower don't burn well enough.

these were three consecutive groups as the sun went down. It was so windy empty 357 cases were blowing off of the bench.

Attachment 100991
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 03-31-2014 at 12:10 AM.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Banned

Cool deal, it is a sweet concept.

I stole the idea from my old shooting mentor Bob Mills,i don't have original ideas myself.He generlly uses one case and fills it with medium speed powder and doesn't even size it. He just knocks out the primer,reprimes and hand seats a bullet and lets the closing of the action finish the job. Sometimes he doesn't even lube the bullet as he a says at subsonic you barely need it.I have shot at his place with no lube 35 calibers at 1600 fps and shot several consecutive 5 shot groups at 100 under 2".Not great but interesting.

This is what I love about handloading and casting - so much scope for fun tweaks that people who just buy stuff in boxes never get to experience.
    ars longa, vita brevis

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    This sounds really great!

I've been fooling with LBT 361-260FN seated out in .38 Special brass (9x29.3R)

Attachment 101004

with 9 grs. of #2400, but was afraid to try more than 4 grains of Bullseye in my BSA Martini.

You have given me courage to cautiously adventure further with Bullseye, I'll try 4.5 and 5 grains first to see if it stabilizes.

Beyond that, if you see a bright orange mushroom cloud on your eastern horizon you know it is me~!
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-31-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    I do something similar with a little Destroyer rifle in 9mm Largo, but not quite so heavy(smaller case). A slightly different one from the mini Mauser that I can single feed with the bullet seated way out. I have a big jar of 195gr LBT LFN's from a loaner mold that did not fit my .35 Remington. It almost has me looking to put a can on it.

I tend to agree. The only advantage the .300blk has is it's ability to run in an autoloader. I've been considering the same idea with my .357 max.

I have a reamer for the 30-357 "Sorta-slow" A buddy had it ground about 10-15 years ago for custom contenders.its esentially a rimmed 300 Whisper/300 AAC.

Boolit Master

Great concept. Gotta get me a .357 handi!

Banned

I do abut the same in my 357 max revolver.
    250 gr saeco #248's over a charge of aa-2230 it pushes them out with a fooom type sound.
    it would work pretty dang well from a 1-10 twist rifle if slowed down even further.
    oh and I like my 300 b.o. rifle even though it duplicates my 357 20" carbine levergun ballistically.

Boolit Master
    Excellent thread HarryM !

edit: Do you happen to know your twist rates?
    Last edited by Nrut; 04-02-2014 at 12:18 PM.

1-18 twist

I shot the best group so far today at hundred yards with it. On the recommendation of my friend Bob I left off the gas check I loaded 6.7 grains of bulls eye. The bullet is the RCBS 250 @1140 FPS.the other two groups shot were just at 1.5".this one is just over .75".

Attachment 101380

Boolit Master
    HP,
    I tried a 358318 (247grs.) today with 5cc (4.4grs.) of BE..
    One shot out the door..

Before I move up to 7cc (6.4grs) I am wondering how much of your bullets are seated in the case?..

To fit my short throat I have to seat the 358318 .100" deep..

Your loaded rounds appear to be barely seated..

How much Rl-7 are you using for your 1400fps loads?
    All these questions, eh?

lol

I will have to find my R7 data,but its about a case full.I seat the bullets to engage rifling and they are nit very deep.

I went out today with the no gc loads and after about 15 shots I hit leading problems.the dream is over and back to gc or slower powders.until it started to lead it was shooting about 1.5" then it just went wild into 4" groups.

Attachment 101579
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 04-06-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Here is the target with the groups numbered in the order shot.I ran a tight patch at home and it was filled with tiny lead "glitter".The large single group pic is from another paper and the last shot.The small one is the 1st group shot.The 2nd group wasn't bad either.I don texpect it to be an MOA gun but hovering around 1.5 MOA would be success in my opinion.

click pics to enlarge

Attachment 101576

Attachment 101577

Attachment 101578
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 04-06-2014 at 04:01 PM.

that wasn't all of my wandering shot problem.My base screws though all the way tight were bottomed out.I was out later today and was pushing down the ocular lens to close the action when i felt it wobble.I jammed a piece of cardboard between the base and barrel and it was back to shooting round 1.5" groups.I shot one 5 shot group at 200 that was 3".It was crazy windy so next time out on less that a hurricane and a tight scope i hope to repeat earlier success.

I have a rossi r357s single shot and I thought about heavier pistol boolits, but if I could get it to shoot a 250 grain boolit at 1150 fps I would be happy indeed. I bet it has the 1-30" twist like the r92 levers do and might not like boolits that heavy. I will have to get it out and check what the twist is because google is not helping me. Thanks for sharing your results.

How does the Rossi shoot with lighter cast bullets?

Boolit Master
    Not 357 Mag, but I have been shooting 250 grain boolits in my 357 Max @+-1050fps. 12twist, 16.5" barrel. They are a hoot, especially with the suppressor on. BIG whack on the plywood target backer. I loaded up a few 300gr cast this evening that I'm going to try out tomorrow. IF I can just get rid of the vertical stringing in the Encore, I think the 250's will group pretty well. I get +-1/2-3/4 inch horizontal, but 4-6" vertical.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast