RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 311041 and Unique - Thoughts and observations

311041 and Unique - Thoughts and observations

I loaded up 10, 30-30 rounds using 7.0 grains of Unique and the Lyman 311041 boolit with gas checks. I also loaded up 10 of the same boolit using 21.5 grains of IMR-3031. I took these, and 30 rounds of Fusion factory ammo to the range today to sight in my new 30-30 (new to me anyway, it was made in 1980, Marlin 336 with the microgroove barrel and Williams peep sight and fire sight). And here's my thoughts.

I used the Fusion ammo as a base line, and to zero my peep sights in at 100 yards. None of these rounds were inserted backwards all loaded well, and fired on the first hammer fall.

7.0 grains of Unique (Lyman starting load) does not work well in my 30-30. Of the rounds that actually managed to hit the paper at 100 yards, maybe 1/3 of them hit sideways. They are obviously tumbling instead of spiraling. The rounds seemed very under powered to me also. I doubt I will go any further with load development using the Unique in the 30-30. No leading in the barrel tho and only minor fouling. All of the rounds loaded, and only 1 round needed two hammer hits to discharge.

21.5 grains of IMR-3031 (Lyman starting load) shot nice round holes into my target at 100 yards. They did drop about a foot and a half from where the factory ammo was hitting, but thats something I can adjust for, at least it's consistent. The IMR-3031 rounds felt a lot like the factory rounds, maybe just a tad softer on the recoil. All of the rounds loaded well, and they all discharged properly on the first hammer strike.

311041 WQWW with gas checks, sized to .311, seems to work just fine in my Marlin. However the nose of some of the boolits is a bit fat and they hit the very beginning of the rifling. I'd say under 20% of the test rounds had this issue. A little more pressure on the lever was enough to seat the round completely. I didn't want to seat much deeper in the case than the 2.525" I'm using since it winds up with the case over shooting the crimp groove. I may try and seat them the additional .015" that the Lyman book calls for (2.510") to see if that alleviates the chambering issue.

My plan is to load up 10 rounds each of the IMR-3031 adding an additional grain to each load set. 22 to 27grains in 10 round increments (27 grains is the maximum listed in the Lyman manual) and see how those shoot. Once I find the sweet spot, I'll be in business. I'll be using my butt chronograph since I don't actually have a chronograph.

Just thought I'd share a day at the range testing out rounds and gun smithing repairs on a couple of my other firearms. I replaced the stock on my Mossberg 12 guage since the wood one shattered and I had to make a new slide lock pin for my Star 9mm. The repairs worked flawlessly.

Banned

Keep after it with the 3031, work up carefully, watch your boolit weights and diameters (you had some difference in nose diameters I think, make sure your mould blocks are closing completely every time). I think you draw the wrong conclusion about Unique not working well as a powder. Seven grains in your gun may not stabilize the boolit you're using, but it isn't the powder.

I prefer 748 with that boolit myself, but only because it meters better than 3031. Both of those powders will gently launch and propel the 311041 to factory velocities and boolit impact points if worked up carefully.

Gear

I love Unique as a powder, I run it in my 9mm exclusively! I just didn't see anything that impressed me on the rifle side of the house. But that's OK, I do have a couple pounds of the 3031 here at the house. I do have to agree on the metering of the 3031 tho, it does seem to want to get everywhere regardless of how careful you meter it out.

Banned

All the IMR "log" powders meter like toothpicks in my measures. I really stay away from them if I can due to needing to individually meter with a Lee scoop and trickle up the last grain on the scale pan. On the upside, IMR makes a truly outstanding line of consistent, accurate powders, I just try to make life as painless as possible.

Gear

Banned

you need about 10 grs unique to be in the stabilized ball park with a boolit that long.
    alliants 2400,aa-2230, H or I -4895,30-31,4064 and anything else you got in that burn range will do fine in the 30-30.

In Remebrance

Yup, what 5r5 said, 7.0 Unique is a real light load. I've used 10.0 with a 190 gr cast boolit, a recommended "pick up" load. Not a great load, but not terrible in my particular rifle.

Boolit Master
    with the same experience metering the stick powders, i purchased the lyman 1200 auto metering dispenser. What junk. Sent it back three times in the first year. Never did work worth a ****. Bought the RCBS auto dispenser. never looked back. just set the pan on the scale, when the scale zero's, out comes another perfectly measured charge. dump.... repeat. Threw that lyman one in the trash. dont know if i got a bad one or if they are all like that, and im not bashing anyones favorite dispenser, but the RCBS one is the stuff! Complletely negates metering troubles with any powder including some of the 50 bmg powders.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    I'm in agreement with R5R too. Up the charge to 10 or 11 gr. Unique and you'll be in high cotton (given that your bullet is compatible with with your barrel, and since you seem to get acceptable accuracy with 3031 I'll guess it is.)

Silent,
    If it turns out that you need a shorter cartridge over all length, in order to feed and chamber properly, you might consider triming the case to a shorter length, in order to keep the crimp groove at the right place.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master
    I use 9 grs of Unique with that bullet by the thousands. It is a great practice load for off hand shooting at 50 yards with the 94. And about as fun and cheap a load as you'll ever find. I use 24.5 grs of the IMR 3031 for hunting though. Work your way up with the IMR 3031 and you'll find a sweet spot.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

I guess I'll build a test box of Unique rounds as well then. I don't have my book handy, but I'll do the same as I plan on for the 3031, except I'll most likely use .5 grain increments with the Unique. The nice thing about load development is it gets you out to the range more!

Boolit Master
    The nice thing about load development is it gets you out to the range more!
    Yup, that and the fact that you can end up with some really accurate ammo.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Master
    I think this shows how each rifle is different even though they are the same.My Marlin 336 with a MG barrel just loves unique with any boolit that I use.On the other hand it hates 3031.............Terry

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    I think this shows how each rifle is different even though they are the same.My Marlin 336 with a MG barrel just loves unique with any boolit that I use.On the other hand it hates 3031.............Terry
    Maybe it's the rifle, maybe it's the alloy you're using or something else. But the point is taken, guns are like women, even identical twins have individual personalities.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    All the IMR "log" powders meter like toothpicks in my measures. I really stay away from them if I can due to needing to individually meter with a Lee scoop and trickle up the last grain on the scale pan. On the upside, IMR makes a truly outstanding line of consistent, accurate powders, I just try to make life as painless as possible.

Gear
    Next time they come up on sale, try a Lee "perfect" powder measure. They can be found new for around 20 bucks. That's cheap enough to justify getting one and leaving it set up for your favorite load of an IMR "log" powder. I've had very good luck over the years with 3031, and it pours very nicely out of one of these Lee measures, without that grinding that happens in the RCBS measure that I use for just about everything else. The Lee measures have a wiping arrangement as opposed to a log-cutting design that are found on other measures.

Exactly the powder measure I use. It's not quite perfect, but it's close enough for me. Just need to make sure that the pan is right up against the drop tube or the IMR-3031 will bounce out. At least that's what it does on my setup.

Boolit Grand Master

silent

10-11 gr of Unique is the "standard" 30-30 load with 311041 and 311291 and has been at least since I started loading the 30-30 back in '62.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

.30/30 and 311041

I realize you have a supply of 3031, but Re7 works great behind the '41 in 94's, 336's, Sav. 340's, and Rem. 788's.

my $.02; D.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    silent

10-11 gr of Unique is the "standard" 30-30 load with 311041 and 311291 and has been at least since I started loading the 30-30 back in '62.

Larry Gibson
    Even tho I may wind up at 10-11 gr of Unique, I went with the Lyman book load that states 7.0 gr starting and a max of 10.5 gr (I believe that's the max, I don't have my book handy ATM). Thats why I started with the 7.0 gr. After the first shot with the 7.0 gr of Unique, I pulled the bolt from my 336 thinking I may have squibbed it.

I will say that I'm very new to reloading, and I'd much rather be safe than sorry. I'm old enough that magnum loads are not my goal, fun and accuracy is.

Since I've had so much positive feedback on the Unique, I'll build up a trial run of increasing loads to see if I can find the magic mix. I'm just waiting for my case length trimmer to arrive next week.

Boolit Master

Silent,

To sort of “go again the grain”, I am not a fan of Unique in the larger cases. There is just too much room for that powder to “rattle” around in there. I question the ignition consistency, yet many have used it and will continue to use it…

Yep, I have tried it (Unique) with the 311041 and I just did not get any accuracy in a couple of 94’s and a T/C Super 14”…

The 3031 might be O.K. as I did get some accuracy using H-335…

But, the best accuracy came with 2 powders—WC-852 (4831 burn rate) and Trail Boss…

So, don’t forget to try a slow burner and that unique (not the powder!) critter, Trail Boss if you might have access to a bit to try before purchasing a canister…

Good-luck…BCB