RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Lube test

Boolit Master

Talking

No it is a plain base bullet.
    Last edited by Doc Highwall; 05-16-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    No it is a plain base bullet.
    Right Doc GG = Grease groove With it being a Grease groove boolit, why dip?

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The only advantage dip lubing had this time was my lubrisizer is full of Sagebrush, and I didn't feel like empting it out. So I dipped lubed and then ran them thru the lee .459 size die.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Lead pot
    Have you tried NASA? If anything it excels at preventing leading. If you would prefer to stay with your own mix maybe you could try adding some of our Bullplate mix. It is the lube that prevents the leading in a barrel as well as on a mold.

Don
    I am smiling bigger than that fella at the end of your post.
    35% RH, not an extreme test but a good test.
    Maybe if you dont mind would you see if you might get those down under fellows from the other board interested in doing some testing?
    Also would you or Kenny like a sample of the sansbwx lube. I plan to try it too to get the cold end of the test covered. We are getting down around zero now at night.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    The only advantage dip lubing had this time was my lubrisizer is full of Sagebrush, and I didn't feel like empting it out. So I dipped lubed and then ran them thru the lee .459 size die.
    Gotcha. Changing out lube is a nasty chore and I don't blame ya a bit. It actually sounds better to me since you size with a push through and don't bend these long BPCR bullets.

SS

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JC, no I havent. This is the first I have heard about this lube.

Kurt

Boolit Master
    Don,

This sounds good, And you did fire other lubed cartridges along side to give you a control right? If not that somewhat ruins any validity of the test. Please say you did. A true test of anything with out a control along side cancels out much validity or claims made in such tests.

And as for accuracy, at 270 what are we talking on paper or steel? and what size?

Right now, Myself, I just finished casting and priming and loading a couple dozen 38-50 cases,

I sized my 38 bullets in my Saco sizer but backed off the lube pump so no lube put on the bullets, like you, I do not wish to empty out my sizer full of White lighting.

Running down to Wally world to pick up a couple small pots to do dip lubing also for the same reasons, one for Kurt's Lube and one for Bullshop's lube.

In all fairness since we wont be getting the heat and the low humidity, I will use a 3 blow tube for first test and fire 7 rounds at 200 yard of each. Accuracy and how well the rounds chamber will be some of the criteria. At the end of the string 3 deep breaths again and will push a tight patch up the barrel to see how far it goes before it hangs up or if at all and then visual inspection of the barrel to show how far out the barrel shines from chamber. Here is the kicker, I am sure one of the 3 lubes will do better at absorbing the Moisture both ambient and from my breath. Which will give one a lot better idea of how they will perform at lower humidities.

My control rounds will be of course lubed with Whitelighting. This is a proven load and it will be used for all the other lube tests.

Load is:

38-50 Rem Hepburn

Remington 30-40 krag cases Fire formed and annealed the previous firing.

Primer: Fed 150 Match Pistol primers w/primer wad of Filter paper between primer and case.

Powder: Swiss 1 1/5 54 grains load is compressed approx .230

Bullet Lyman Postell 38 cal sized to .377

As mentioned above this load is MOA or better too the Pig line and runs on avg 90% or better on Pigs and is very accurate, placed in 3/4 matches in Raton and Placed at Big Whiskey Labor Day weekend Match. It shoots MOA or a touch less at 200 yards day in day out.

Off to Wally World

KW
    The Lunger

PS Bullshop yeah I want the lube with no BW for sure.

Kenny for today no I did not fire the sagebrush lubed bullets along side. I already knew they'ld go 5-6 until you couldn't chamber with out tubing or wiping, or prying.
    As for the target it's steel I've posted pictures of it before but here's another look at it, altho we didn't picture it or paint it today...The bullseye is 6 inches. I never have measured the entire thing, but it's not real big.
    Just an initial test to see what sort of things I might expect from this lube.
    There'll be warm/hot days yet with low humidity and I will keep testing this NASA, all along as Carol and I have decided that every Sunday we will do our level best to shoot a few rounds.
    I am sort of holding back on full blown tests until the new Saeco blocks get here. Then it'll be all new territory as I already know what the bullets I have will do with Sagebrush and SPG.

Boolit Master

Talking

SharpsShooter, my bad I have cataracts and I thought I saw GC and now when I went and looked at it again it is indeed GG my fault. I cannot wait till they ripen up enough to have the surgery.

Boolit Master
    Judging by the bull, then looks to be about 18 inches wide and 10 or so inches tall in the middle part not counting the wings for elevation.

As I said, it's shame you did not shoot some along side this lube of your Sagebrush Lube as A control. I have never had much luck with it myself, it burns down at about the same time DGL or SPG in my old tests. Your statement about it mirrors my findings, I find it a less than my best choice for BP Lube in my rifles.

My old Lithium Greese based Lube made by Dick Hanson failed me one to many times at 1000, back in 2005 I think it was, or 04 maybe?? Anyways I went to White Lighting and in 2006 well, the rest is history.

I do remember that Dick also burned down real bad at 1000 that day and was pretty disgusted with his 50-90 and Lube.

It is looking to be back in the 60s come next weekend hope it is dry.

Testing something with validity, when it comes to something as important as finding a new or better lube is what we all should be striving for here. Tests got to be provable and repeatable in my opinion or we are just stating opinions not facts. In a past life I spent 8 years as the Sr Admin Assistant to Amax Coal's Chemist. My Numbers had to be prefect and repeatable, and I learned a lot about using controls to check and validate ones Data.

I worked with Atomic Absorbtion Equipment and was the main operator of the AA this was used to test stuff at the atomic level with light Spectrums.

As you mentioned over on the Shiloh forum your happy with 2 MOA loads, and that works great for all the gong shoots I have ever attended.

My own standards are 1 to 1.25 MOA max. If not I keep tweaking.

Trust me, if I find a better lube than White Lighting I will be using it, Dan's a Great friend and Jimbo sells the stuff and is my best friend, BTW I pay full price just like veryone else.

Just looking at Bullshops lube tonight and some prelim Tests, I think it is much better then Sagebursh lube, (your Intial test most likely confirms this). Taking it between thumb and trigger finger and pressing and heating with bodys heat Gives me some indications that I really like.

Got stuff for double boiler and ready to plan lube some tonight.

Kurt's Lube I already can tell its going to be real interesting also.

With my Time to test being really limited I have to construct valid tests or I am wasting what little Time I have to shoot.

Rifle will have my MVA Scope mounting on it and also will be shooting from my BR-2 Rock Rest with rear bags and Sagebrush rubber pad to keep that Plastic butt plate from sliping.

Test Rifle is my Shiloh 38-55 rechambered by Steve Garbe and crew over at Wyoming Armory in Cody with Steve's Reamer to 38-50.

KW
    The Lunger

When the time comes to get down and dirty serious about this lube test we'll put the F class's up at 500 and see what happens. Today was just a preliminary test to see what would happen. The neat thing was I know this bullet cast from wheelweights will lead after 10 rounds with Sagebrush or SPG. There was NO (as in none, nadda, nyet) leading today after 21.

Yup 2moa OR LESS is what I look for in a good load. And I know that when we get down and dirty with this load test this NASA lube is going to have to show me some 5 bullets thru the same hole at 200 and 300 and clover leafs at 500 to keep its good standing, because spg and sagebrush will do it.
    I know my eyesight isn't my 40 year ago eyesight. So I don't expect the moa or less ,shooting the irons,I would shooting a scope.
    I haven't seen enough really good things from scopes to make me think that its' worth the 950 extra to have one put on. When a scope shooter starts winning the overall at some of these gong shoots and doing it regular I may change my mind. Until then 60% hits don't rev my jets up so much.. My new Shiloh on order is spec'd to have the holes drilled and plugged, just in case.
    But in the end I know full well that my loads are fully capable of going anywhere anytime and winning, but I also realize I don't have the stead of nerve to be able to do those loads justice anymore, but on occasion I do run a target now and then..

Boolit Master
    Again,

The no Leading thing, mmmmm, That in it's self is Interesting, Especially when you know that the load leads in X amount of rounds. Course all of em will lead with out blow tubing or wiping at one point or another, EXCEPT??? MAYBE Bullshops Lube.

Intrigued is the word. Hope its nice next weekend.

KW
    The Lunger

Yup the no leading part really really got my attention.
    Definetly impressed to this point, and looking forward to that new mould getting here so the testing can get down and dirty. I've got a hunch I know the load Carol will be shooting this upcoming season, and if all comes together as I'm hoping there's gonna be a major warp in the continum of the senior ladies prize awards..... hehehe.

Boolit Master
    Don,

Scope thing, I gota disagree there, I won the Scope class at Spring Alliance Match, took second with scope in the fall match. Both good scores. When I won in 2006 I was in the Top Ten at Raton plus scope champ 9th overall. When I can beat Bill Clenden by 3 hits in scope I know I had a pretty good day.

End of the first day was ahead of him, Linda, and Butch. I know can't shoot sitting worth a hoot so they caught me that second day ( Butch and Linda). Lay down targets though well thats another story.

Also my 22 took 3rd both Alliance matches, Lost only too 2 bolt guns in the spring match, a Mod 52 winchester Match Rifle and Bruce Stevens was the shooter other guy I do not recall but he was using a 1800 Serries Anchutz. Both with lot more optics then mine and we were far above the other scores. Fall match Steve Miles and the other guy runing full house Race Rugger 10/22 Silhouette rifles with major optics beat me.

Big Whiskey, I won that match in the 22's with a 28/40 score only 1 chicken of the 30 laydown targets I hit 27/30 cleaned pigs and Turkeys. I was the only scope shooter and beat Kirk Bryan #2 shooter by 4 hits. Thats a 10 percent advantage We tied for the Pig Pot at 10 each and tied for the Ram Pot at 7 each. I got the turkey pot all to myself with the 10/10 adn won enough money to pay all my entry fees for the weekend.

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Master
    I got to shoot a few rounds after church today too.
    The results with the micro wax lube were disappointing. The lube star at the muzzle was dry and my 5Th round would not chamber. I went back to the original nasa with bee's wax and fired 10 rounds with no problems chambering. The lube star was still soft too. I was shooting a 45/70 with the Lyman postell, 71gn weight of way old GOI ffg heavily compressed and a Fed 215. I was deliberately trying to make a dry load. RH was fairly high at 69.
    So it seems the micro wax is out and I need to get some non crystalline wax.
    Yesterday I contacted some companies for ozokerite wax and cericen wax, both non crystalline mineral wax's. I have not yet heard back from them. If someone watching has a source for them please let me know.
    Is anyone else as excited about this as I am?

Boolit Master
    Yeah,

If you end up with an ever better lube, after all of this well, Gota say it was worth it right?

I just am bout to sign off and get to bed its 9pm here 5 am comes all to early. I did dip lube, via a old method taught to me by Dan T, 13 of my bullets cast with BullShop Lube For what it is worth it, it is a good dipping lube that much I know it fills the grooves quickly and in 3 dips of the bullet plenty of lube.

Will be dipping a dozen or so bullets tommrow night with Kurt's lube more to follow.

KW
    The lunger

JC.

You might try here.
    http://www.frankbross.com/ozok.htm

Kenny that 22 stuff is one of the things makes me pretty sure that right now a scope doesn't wind me up much. You only beat be by two in August, and 2 in May, and at theMay one. if I hadn't of got crossed up on windage adjustment and took a zero on the turkey.......
    Anyway sounds good that dip lubing you did went well, I know I started getting a good impression when I dipped those 50 rounds. Double boilered it and it sure does coat fast and fill the lube grooves very well on that RCBS bullet, on a shallower grooved bullet like the postell I imagine it really fills fast. And when I pushed those dipped bullets thru the lee size die none of the lube grooves had holes open up in them as I've had happen with SPG.

Bullshop.

JC I think you and I might have crossed trails last year just outside of Central AK on Dead Wood Creek at my Gold camp.
    I just was at your web site but the pictures are to small for me to make you out.

Kurt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    SharpsShooter, my bad I have cataracts and I thought I saw GC and now when I went and looked at it again it is indeed GG my fault. I cannot wait till they ripen up enough to have the surgery.

Ain't no biggie Doc. I figured it was just a mis-read. Only reason I made mention was to determine if Don had used a dip lube for an accuracy inducing reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    The neat thing was I know this bullet cast from wheelweights will lead after 10 rounds with Sagebrush or SPG. There was NO (as in none, nadda, nyet) leading today after 21.

Don that mirrors my experience exactly. When using SPG and wheelweight alloy, I always found flakes of lead on the patches. With NASA it just went away...poof gone.

SS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]