Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carnauba Wax As a Lube Additive.

Banned

Carnauba Wax As a Lube Additive.

I've been reading for the past several hours about using Carnauba wax (Carnuba Wax) as an additive to bullet lubes.

Can you use the Carnuba Wax Car Polish that is in the auto parts stores as an additive instead of buying the 100% Pure Carnuba online?

Banned
    If you feel the need to use carnauba wax, you are far better served to buy it pure in block or flake form. Car polish is MADE FROM 100% pure carnauba.........it is not 100% pure carnauba.

100% pure carnauba would never be able to be squeezed from a bottle..............unless of course you are Hercules and happen to reside in the place that all our politicians go when they die.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I wouldn't use the liquid polish, but I do use the paste polish, recommend the non-cleaner type. It has no cleaning/polishing agents in it but then again it wouldn't hurt anyway.

I use my left over liquid and paste polishes for use in my tumbler.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by riverwalker76 View Post
    I've been reading for the past several hours about using Carnauba wax (Carnuba Wax) as an additive to bullet lubes.

Can you use the Carnuba Wax Car Polish that is in the auto parts stores as an additive instead of buying the 100% Pure Carnuba online?
    The Carnauba in car polish has softeners, solvents, carriers, and other ingredients. You would be better off using pure ingredients to make a lube.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned
    Where would I look locally for carnauba wax?

Banned
    Your best bet is online ordering. Google "bulk carnauba wax" and then pick your poison.

I found a large block of it from a friend that works in the plastics moulding industry, but it was a one time deal. They use it as a mould release in the making of automotive ashtrays from thermoset plastic "biscuits". Some janitorial supply houses also carry it in pure form suspended in a carrier....but your chances are not good.................look tot he internet it is what Al Gore invented it for.

Boolit Master

Liquor store,... on Makers Mark. Of course, there is a nice side benefit to getting it this way....

Boolit Grand Master

I think this is why JPW is used...

Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Boolit Master

I have a friend with a winery, they use it to cap (over the cork) one of their more expensive desert wine bottles.

His is a metallic silver color, makes for some interesting looking felix lube when its melted, all swirly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markinalpine View Post
    That's where I bought mine--they also have good prices on anhydrous lanolin.

Banned
    I found it locally, and for $4.00 a pound. Thanks everyone.

Boolit Master
    You found it in Owensboro for $ 4 a pound? Where? I'll pick up some when I'm down that way next week.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    You found it in Owensboro for $ 4 a pound? Where? I'll pick up some when I'm down that way next week.

No offense, but I'm protecting my source. I can't seem to get simple answers I like from this forum, so I'm keeping my info private.

No offense towards you, but the gift horse has been slapped one too many times.

Thumbs down

No offense, but I'm protecting my source. I can't seem to get simple answers I like from this forum, so I'm keeping my info private.

No offense towards you, but the gift horse has been slapped one too many times.

from 357maximum If you feel the need to use carnauba wax, you are far better served to buy it pure in block or flake form. Car polish is MADE FROM 100% pure carnauba.........it is not 100% pure carnauba

from 357maximum Your best bet is online ordering. Google "bulk carnauba wax" and then pick your poison.

I found a large block of it from a friend that works in the plastics moulding industry, but it was a one time deal. They use it as a mould release in the making of automotive ashtrays from thermoset plastic "biscuits". Some janitorial supply houses also carry it in pure form suspended in a carrier....but your chances are not good.

Not sure quite what you were looking for here, but it looks like 357maximum answered your questions pretty succinctly. guess He should have known about that supply in your town and told you about it.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    No offense, but there is something about you that I don't like. ... felix
    felix

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    No offense, but there is something about you that I don't like. ... felix

None taken.

Not everyone can get along. I go back to what my Marine Corps OCS Officer Instructor told me .... "You aren't here to make friends... you ARE here to save lives!" There have been many a Grunt that has felt the butt end of that statement in the passing years.
    Last edited by riverwalker76; 07-14-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I have a friend with a winery, they use it to cap (over the cork) one of their more expensive desert wine bottles.

His is a metallic silver color, makes for some interesting looking felix lube when its melted, all swirly.
    Be sure to have your friend save ALL the wine seals that are rejects. It's 100% pure Tin Sn except for a little paint on them. Unless he uses plastic or Aluminum. The ones that are Tin are 99.99% pure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Be sure to have your friend save ALL the wine seals that are rejects. It's 100% pure Tin Sn except for a little paint on them. Unless he uses plastic.

Well ... that's no good. We have one guy that makes all of our wine and he corks without a seal.

Thanks for the tip nonetheless. I'll keep that in mind.

I am kind of confused on how you are supposed to save lives here. But I'm pretty sure making friends will be in your best interest as opposed to treating people like grunts