MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't like inlines - GRAPHIC!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Why I don't like inlines - GRAPHIC!

I am always concerned when someone shows up with an inline muzzleloader. Most are not familiar with the firearm, which can be very dangerous. Here is an example of using smokeless powder, in what was apparently a smokeless approved rifle.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Talking

That comes from trying to get the velocity too high. I have one and I use 38grains of AA5744 and I found that to be plenty with a 300 grain bullet. As a matter in fact I am selling mine only because of having three spine surgeries I gave up hunting.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    He was loading by volume, rather than weight.
    Last edited by waksupi; 03-03-2010 at 12:50 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Some people just have no business with gun. This is on of them.
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman .. . Neither works.

Women always say that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.There is no way to prove that they are wrong.

But a year or so after giving birth a woman will often say "It would be nice to have another child".

You never hear a guy say, "It would be nice to get kicked in the nuts again".

Boolit Buddy
    cant blame weapon, powder or boolit uneducated human messed that one up, been gone over before i have had mine for 5 years dependable accurate safe you can load by volume in a ml10 AA5744 VV-N110 would not trade mine for all the tea in china

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe just me, but the third picture of the hand appears to be a different injury.
    My GUESS as to why it blew up would be, the guy did not fully seat the powder and/or bullet.

looks like after stitches and removeing dead tishue. steve k
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Grand Master

If I want to shoot smokeless I get out my center fire rifles that were designed for it. I know this was also but it doesn't make since to me. It's like hubcaps on a tractor. Guys are always tring to push guns beyond what they should. If you want to shoot magnum loads then buy a magnum.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Dam that's gotta hurt, there's about a thousand nerve endings in those fingers.

Boolit Buddy
    Waksupi
    Would you go back and edit your post, "He was loading by volume, rather than weight"
    So that it is in a BIG BOLD Font, for those that might read too fast.
    Just asking
    Bill

Boolit Master

Man ya' just hadda post THAT one when I've got a 10-ML II for sale in swapping and sellin' didn't ya?

To tell the truth Wak, I bought mine because it WAS rated for smokeless loads but I ain't never put a load of smokeless in it because I am CHICKEN.

That probably happened because the guy was trying to get 300 WinMag velocities from a front stuffer again because I know a lot of guys that have them and love them, I just can't do it, I'll still with cartridge rifles when I want to shoot smokeless..............

Man that's got to HURT............................for a LONG time it's gonna HURT..........................
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

This is a huge issue with low end inlines and marketing. This is not the first time I have seen this issue and pics, not an isolated issue. ANY time you have new people getting into an EASIER mind set of a specialized activity, there are those that will try to get them to give away their money. When I was younger and working in a gunsmiths shop, I was in charge of the ML department, I would get the deer season only shooters looking for more time out in the woods, at no extra cost for themselves. I don't know how many of them blew up their guns with the "black looking powder" they used for their other guns. They would not listen to anything that would cost them more money or go against what their friend told them.

I blew up a bunch of pics from Sam Fadala's tests on BP and smokeless powers, blowing up strong ML Bbls with 10grs of powder. One test was using a TC Bbl, filled halfway with powder and a bunch of RB's loaded on top of the charge, the Bbl didn't blow up, the next photo was the earlier mentioned 10 grains of smokless powder. The barrel blew up big time... It was amazing how many wouldn't believe it,and got peeved off at me for not selling them their powder, Hans would get mad at me about the sale sometimes but suported my actions...

So when people say I'm anti improvement, or what ever the inline crowds call us traditionalist shooters , I just remember all the **** that has happened to people BECAUSE of inlines and their marketing and glad I can still count to ten on all my fingers... heck count at all for that mater

Will I have inlines in my shop? Yes but only ones I'm sure of and have all the literature for safe use of them free at hand. Also suggest they get into traditionals
    Member of...
    NMLRA
    NRA

Youch!
    Read my lips: Muzzleloaders are for black powder or BP substitute and don't use shotgun primers or sabot slugs or any of that newfangled ****. Those morphodites are ML's in theory only. If you want a .338 WinMag, buy one.
    Just my opinion, but a valid one!

Boolit Grand Master

Man I feel for him.

Hard way to learn a lesson...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I own a Hatfield .38 squirrel rifle a Garner Tennesee poor boy .54 a Thompson Center Big Bore .54 and a Lyman .54. I like the nostalsia aspect of muzzleloading hunting.Now they have inlines that use smokeless? They might as well make it legal to use handi rifles.

Boolit Master

I got the tip of one finger ripped off in a printing press accident . . . 10 months ago, probably will never be right . . . that is gonna hurt for a long time! He is gonna miss that thumb too.

Didn't know one "could" use smokeless powder in one.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    OOOHHH THAT'S NASTY!! Feel bad for the guy.
    A buddy of mine's got a Savage. Feeds it SR-4759 and PRB saboted bullets. Drives tacks, shoots flat (flatter than my "muzzleloader"), kills deer dead. I've shot it, and survived.
    I usually hunt with a BK-92 Knight with 100grn. FF and a saboted 240 XTP (working on a cast load though).
    If I weren't trying to get into the more traditional end (been trying to build a flintlock for months), I'd own a Savage. Great guns, if you're into the latest, coolest, baddest; like my buddy is.
    As far as hunter ethics; I live in Tennessee, if you could own hand grenades, you could hunt with them.
    As far as safety; I've never been accused of being life threateningly stupid, I try to pay attention, and my appendages (aside from cuts, bruises, and the occasional missing fingernail) stay relatively intact.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I am always concerned when someone shows up with an inline muzzleloader. Most are not familiar with the firearm, which can be very dangerous. Here is an example of using smokeless powder, in what was apparently a smokeless approved rifle.
    I am not sure what a misloaded gun has to do with your dislike of inlines.....I am sure you have seen the bumper sticker that reads, " People shoot other people with guns, guns don't shoot people.

Just wondering if you offer your expertise when you notice a green horn at the range...or do you just move away or leave alltogether.......................?
    Some people that I have run into here or there just don't have anyone to show them the ropes.......

Quote Originally Posted by skullmount View Post
    I am not sure what a misloaded gun has to do with your dislike of inlines.....I am sure you have seen the bumper sticker that reads, " People shoot other people with guns, guns don't shoot people.

Just wondering if you offer your expertise when you notice a green horn at the range...or do you just move away or leave alltogether.......................?
    Some people that I have run into here or there just don't have anyone to show them the ropes.......
    It seems that the few I have run into with an inline, "knew it all", and didn't need help. Then, I moved away.
    I have seen more pictures of this type with inlines, than I have seen with traditional types of muzzleloaders. I've been shooting ML's for close to 40 years, and a blown up gun is almost unheard of, and these few generally being barrel obstructions.
    While inlines are advertised as being easier to take care of than traditional ML's, they appear to need more maintainence, need parts replaced more often, and are technically more demanding. I do not believe they are the best choice for a beginner, and are more suited for someone who has considerable shooting experience under their belt.

God what a mess. Since I know mine isn't a smokeless rifle, Triple 7 is all it'll see. dieselBenz, there's nothing like bumping that finger, takes years for the ouch to go away. Lost the end of one of mine in a paper cutter that had a hole in the clamp. Saw the ream of paper was a bit crooked, let go of the clamp and my finger was just a tad into the hole. Snick. "Will someone come and get my finger out of this machine?" That was just the beginning, bumped it on the gearshift on the way home, hit a hickory tree. Quite a day!