Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee Classic Turret Auto Indexing Problem

Boolit Mold

Lee Classic Turret Auto Indexing Problem

The Auto Index, on my Lee Classic Turret Press, fails every so often.

Boolit Buddy

Arrow Auto Indexing problem...

Pls define "fails".. No rotation ,partial rotation, or some thing else. How old is press ?? Lots of rnds thru it ??? have you changed the little blk square part that rides on the square shaft ?? Mite be worn out. Mine is newer & haven't run a lot of cycles yet. Have heard that that part will only last for a limited no of cycles. I usually lube it when changing calibers. Then also I tend to not run it all the way down & just do a manual rotation also. Hope this helpds, Good Luck. My 2Ē Russ.

Boolit Master

russ is on it. you need to lube and use a good oil. not graphite. They do wear

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on russ and shotman. The little black square is most likely the thing thats given you trouble.I changed it twice in 3 yrs,but itīs not a big problem. They are cheap at leeīs spare part .They do wear because of metall turning on plastic.I had a friend make me some out of aluminium and will try those the next time out
    Uwe

Boolit Buddy
    If you have the one with the little white nylon insert indexer, I don't lube mine at all and I tighten it just enough to hold the adjustment and do the job. Lubing seems to make it swell and fail quickly.

be

Boolit Mold
    It seems like, "The Auto Index Clamp" (TF 3566) occasionally doesn't grab "The Square Index Rod" (TP 2673) while "The Ram" (BP 3020) is being operated by "The Lever" (BP 3090). All of which, except "The Ram," are available from Lee and other fine retailers, for less than ten bucks. (I usually get a better price and quicker service, from the other fine retailers).

It would appear, "The Auto Index Clamp," which is made out of plastic, wears out quickly/occasionally, doesn't grab "The Square Index Rod." I wonder if replacing it will help very much or if that's just the way it is.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Esau,

You need to look inside the "Auto Index Clamp" and find the square plastic part (fancy name unknown) and see if it's damaged. If it is, you need to replace it and readjust your auto advance.

More than likely, instead of properly adjusting your press per Lee instructions, you've used your hand to advance your press, further damaging the square plastic part and that's the reason you're having the failure now.

Additionally, you can help your press a great deal by stoning the sharp edges smooth on the worm gear(index rod) to smooth up the operation.

That, in addition to properly adjusting the advance, should eliminate your problem. See the Lee website for a video on adjusting the auto advance.

Regards,

Dave

part Number for the little square with the square hole is : TF3567
    http://www.titanreloading.com/turret...square-ratchet
    part number for the clamp is : TF3566
    http://www.titanreloading.com/index....er_name=TF3566
    These are for the 4 hole Lee Turret press
    Last edited by kdiver58; 11-20-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Mine wore out a couple of years ago. I just index by hand.
    Now that I'm used to it, it works just as quick. I haven't bothered looking for replacement parts