MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic cast turret press?

Lee Classic cast turret press?

I've kind of wanted on of the Lee Classic cast turrer Presses, Watched the
    operations video on the lee sight. Seems to be a well made machine.. Does any one have any experance with them or any good or bad commets??
    Thanks Jeff

In Remembrance

I've had mine for a couple years and love it. I also like the Safetyprime attachment and use it for almost all of my priming duties. One of the members gave a tip to use a flex shaft LED light ( the kind that will clip to your shirt pocket) rubberbanded to the front post to light the case so you can inspect the powder in the case as it's dropped. I copied this and really like it. You need the riser for the powder measure to clear the Safety prime. All the spent primers go into a bucket on the floor, beats the heck out of the little tray on my RCBS.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff.L View Post
    Does any one have any experance with them or any good or bad commets??

I've had mine for a while now and really like it.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Have one, really like it. One of the best bangs for your buck in a reloading press. For 99% of shooters, the Classic Turret and the Lee Classic single stage is all the reloading presses you'll ever need.

Regards,

Dave

Yup, hard to beat it for the $$$ , I have had good luck with mine.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

If you do a search on the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press you will find more info than you can read in a week lol. GREAT PRESS

And this is how GREAT a PRESS it is. I used to use a RCBS Single Stage and a Lyman T-MAG II. I sold the T-Mag and put away the single stage as all I need now is the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press.

Again Thank You DaveInFloweryBranchGA for all the help you gave when I purchased the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. Still trying to wear it out lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    If you order one make sure it is the "Classic" and not the one just named turret press. I ended up with the wrong one because I missed that detail, and it needed work to function properly, and did not have the primer discharge thru the ram. You really want that as the other spits the primers on the floor. I worked out the bugs and it is a wonderful press now, but not as it came.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    P.S. get the Challenger breach press too if you can afford it. It is fantastic for batch loading as the dies can be swapped out in less than ten seconds! Get plenty of extra breach plugs.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

I load about 11 calibers on mine currently, and I don't think that I will ever get rid of it.

Boolit Bub
    I've had one for about a year or so and use it weekly. Unlike Dale Clawson, however, my primers do NOT go straight into a bucket on the floor, as I don't have a bucket that large. Some go here, some go there.... you'll need a bucket the size of a child's wading pool to catch the little suckers. I just sweep the floor (concrete) when I'm done. Otherwise, it's a very nice press and I would recommend one to a friend.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    If you order one make sure it is the "Classic" and not the one just named turret press. I ended up with the wrong one because I missed that detail, and it needed work to function properly, and did not have the primer discharge thru the ram. You really want that as the other spits the primers on the floor. I worked out the bugs and it is a wonderful press now, but not as it came.

Hmmm.... maybe THAT'S my problem!

Ah, how did you solve that "primers everywhere" problem?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson View Post
    I've had mine for a couple years and love it. I also like the Safetyprime attachment and use it for almost all of my priming duties. One of the members gave a tip to use a flex shaft LED light ( the kind that will clip to your shirt pocket) rubberbanded to the front post to light the case so you can inspect the powder in the case as it's dropped. I copied this and really like it. You need the riser for the powder measure to clear the Safety prime. All the spent primers go into a bucket on the floor, beats the heck out of the little tray on my RCBS.
    A big plus one on this Dale. I use a clamp on light clamped on my MEC600 mounted to the right, before the boolit goes in my eye verifies both that powder is there and the volume.

I have one also, I dont use it too much for loading from start to finish though. I have plates setup with different calibers and such for certain tasks. I load my quantities on a Dillon. The Lee turret is great for all the other tasks. The turret plates are cheap enough to have a few of them on hand. That is when you can find them

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks Mike View Post
    I've had one for about a year or so and use it weekly. Unlike Dale Clawson, however, my primers do NOT go straight into a bucket on the floor, as I don't have a bucket that large. Some go here, some go there.... you'll need a bucket the size of a child's wading pool to catch the little suckers. I just sweep the floor (concrete) when I'm done. Otherwise, it's a very nice press and I would recommend one to a friend.

The Lee Classic cast turret press has a tube that connects to the press and catches the primers.

Correct Jack the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press the primers go through the middle of the ram and the tube is connected at the bottom of the ram. It comes with a cap or you can run the hose into a can if you wish. Or what I have done is take an old 1 pound plastic powder can that is empty and cut a hole in the top of it just so the hose will fit through and put a Zip Tie on the hose as it goes through the bottom side of the lid and screw the can on. No Fuss No mess.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, I'm thinking that I, too, missed that "Classic" word. Classic or not, I do like the press. Anyone know of a mod to fix the non-classic primer-all-over-the-floor feature?

Boolit Grand Master

The "primers all over the floor" was a prime motive for me to upgrade (along with the longer throw for large rifle cases) to the Classic Turret press.

I have two Dillon 550B's that handle all of my bulk loading (and I do a lot). However, the Lee allows me to handle small runs in various calibers with their almost INSTANT caliber change. If the run is 200 rounds or less, the Lee gets the chore. If it is over 200, the the Dillon handles it. Everyone needs a small run press and the Lee is the absolute best for this - couple this with it's almost fantastic value, it's a "no brainer".

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Me and my Classic Turret Press are like two peas in a pod!!!!

Three years and no complaints!

Three 44s

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I have two Dillon 550B's that handle all of my bulk loading (and I do a lot). However, the Lee allows me to handle small runs in various calibers with their almost INSTANT caliber change. If the run is 200 rounds or less, the Lee gets the chore. If it is over 200, the the Dillon handles it. Everyone needs a small run press and the Lee is the absolute best for this - couple this with it's almost fantastic value, it's a "no brainer".

Dale53
    This is exactly how I use my Lee Classic Turret and my Hornady LnL. Fantastic way to go. In my case, it's where I load milsurp calibers I don't shoot a lot and 200 rounds is plenty. I can have the Lee setup, load 200 rounds and be done by the time Fox news goes through the evening news.

Dave

Boolit Master

I've had many different types of presses including a Dillon 550B. The Dillon is a good press but was not what I was looking for and I sold it. As someone has already said the Lee Classic Turret is all the press 99% of what most hand loaders need. I would rate it as almost perfect for my needs. What a great job of engineering Lee has done.

Skeet1