Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: eds red

Boolit Buddy

eds red

Looking to make my own eds red. Where would I find kerosene?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Your local hardware store will have it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

In small towns or rural areas, hardware store, general store or even the gas station may have a pump on the side for it...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Grand Master
    I make mine with kerosene from the gas station. Two places in town sell it at the pump. This is probably not available in bulk in many locales, but here in the upper midwest it is. The stuff at the hardware store is odorless which is good, but comes in 2 1/2 gal. containers. There isn't an overwhelming kerosene smell from the gas station variety. Now, if I could find some iso amyl acetate (Banana Oil), my Ed's Red would smell more like Hoppes #9. I like Eds Red. it cleans as well as commercially manufactured products,
    and it fills my Do-It-Yourself need.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy

eds red

Wal-Mart sells the stuff in 2 up to 5 gal. containers for heaters.

I buy my stuff for Ed's Red from the local home improvement center. It's all there in the paint department. They have it all in 160z or 1 quart metal cans, even the ATF, but I buy ATF from Auto parts, it's next door and cheaper too.. I mix it all and then pour it back in the metal cans and label it. Will look for some banana oil, sounds interesting.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I personally like the smell of Ed's Red!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Many home improvement places that sell kerosene heater in the winter time will sell the kerosene as well. It is a seasonal item so you might want to stock up now.
    If you get a woman involved in the shooting sports you have involved her whole family. This in turn dramatically increases the number of people who support the 2nd Amendment. Please support women in becoming shooters.

Are you going to be there? http://secondamendmentmarch.com/

Kinda partial to it myself. I like to homebrew stuff. I've started replenishing my components recently for another batch. Kerosene is on every other corner around here.
    Sprue ™

Boolit Buddy
    Lamp oil is highly refined kerosene. That's what I use to make Ed's Red. They sell that at all the marts in the lamp/lighting section of the store. Been making that way for about 10 years now. By the way, if you use the variation containing acetone, make sure you use a new, unopened bottle. Acetone is very hydroscopic and will pull water out of the air. If you mix your Ed's and you get a milky pink emulsion, it is because of contaminating water.
    Michael

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I make mine with kerosene from the gas station. Two places in town sell it at the pump. This is probably not available in bulk in many locales, but here in the upper midwest it is. The stuff at the hardware store is odorless which is good, but comes in 2 1/2 gal. containers. There isn't an overwhelming kerosene smell from the gas station variety. Now, if I could find some iso amyl acetate (Banana Oil), my Ed's Red would smell more like Hoppes #9. I like Eds Red. it cleans as well as commercially manufactured products,
    and it fills my Do-It-Yourself need.

Shiloh
    http://shop2.chemassociates.com/shop...ylacetate.html There's your banana oil! I might just go for it.

Boolit Master
    I buy the Kerosene at a gas station, its a lot cheaper than getting it at HD or Wally World. When I lived in VA, nearly all the gas stations had a kerosene pump by the side of the station. Here in FL you have to look, but I have found several stations.
    I would like to use the "banana oil" to, but not at $26.00 for 500 ml!

G

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee_Wizz01 View Post
    I would like to use the "banana oil" to, but not at $26.00 for 500 ml!

G
    $26. + $40 UPS hazmat fee.

Boolit Master

I had to jump through a couple of hoops to make up my ER. My Ace had lamp kerosene in a half/gallon bottle, so bought that. Bought a quart of ATF since it was there. Bought a quart of acetone, too. Hmmmm...

Bought a gallon of mineral spirits. Had a near-empty gallon at home. Poured that into an empty quart can, then emptied my quart of acetone and quart of ATF into the now-empty mineral spirits jug. Poured up a quart of kerosene into a now-empty ATF can, then poured it into the receptacle. Finished filling the quart can of mineral spirits and emptied into the gallon can, while standing on one foot, facing north. Carrumba...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

If kero is too hard to find, #1 diesel is reasonable replacement. Failing #1, then #2 will also work but avoid the winterized diesel and bio diesel, they STINK.
    Dan

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    I had to jump through a couple of hoops to make up my ER. My Ace had lamp kerosene in a half/gallon bottle, so bought that. Bought a quart of ATF since it was there. Bought a quart of acetone, too. Hmmmm...

Bought a gallon of mineral spirits. Had a near-empty gallon at home. Poured that into an empty quart can, then emptied my quart of acetone and quart of ATF into the now-empty mineral spirits jug. Poured up a quart of kerosene into a now-empty ATF can, then poured it into the receptacle. Finished filling the quart can of mineral spirits and emptied into the gallon can, while standing on one foot, facing north. Carrumba...
    You've added Ritual. Nice Touch LOL

Mine's in a Coleman Fuel can.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

When you get it mixed, pour some into a soy sauce bottle. The bottle with the long neck allows you to pick it up one handed, with patch over the mouth and index finger over the patch...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

I just cannot grasp not having a kerosene pump at the gas station. I guess it is odd to me that most of you cannot shoot our your back (or front) door.
    Ingredients are easy to get here. I had a can of turpentine and used it in my ER. Nice smell to me, ex did not appreciate it at all. I use Alox in my batch for storage purposes.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy
    If you have difficulty finding kerosene, either regular or deodorized paint thinner will work every bit as well.

Gerry N.

Boolit Grand Master

I am probably wasting my breath here, but here goes, anyway:

I have been an enthusiastic user of Ed's Red since I first saw the formula (direct from Ed Harris). I was extremely careful to follow Ed's directions EXACTLY. Ed's Red has a permanent place in my shop. I have used it for several years with total satisfaction. I told my friends and associates and furnished them with Ed's directions.

One of them built up a fine single shot rifle (a rehabilitation job). It was in the white and he had laboriously hand polished it with all flats "flat" and all rounds "round". In short, he had done a fine job and it was ready for bluing and case hardening. He had finished polishing the rifle and covered it in "Ed's Red" overnight. When he awoke in the morning, the rifle was covered in rust from one end to the other. I did a careful investigation to determine what caused this. Well, my good friend refused to pay the money for "Certified K-1 Kerosene" in the can and bought his kerosene from a gas pump.

Kerosene from a pump may be nearly anything. It often has acids in it (you don't need pure for a heater or a lamp) and is subject to the operator's whims as to when he pumps the water out of the tanks (oh yes, even gasoline tanks have to regularly have the water pumped out). This is hardly the stuff to put on a fine gun.

What my friend had trouble with was only "called" Ed's Red. If you deviate from the formula, it ISN'T Ed's Red. If you use pump kerosene, it ISN'T Ed's Red. If you put banana oil in it, it ISN'T Ed;s Red. Ed Harris had an organic Chemist looking over his shoulder when he "designed" Ed's Red and there are no "unintended consequences" to be found. Change the "formula" in any way and you have absolutely NO idea what will happen unless, you too, are an organic chemist...

Rant over.

Dale53