WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Raging Bull info

Boolit Mold

Raging Bull info

Hi Fellow shooters, men and woman. This is my first post as I just joined last night. Already I have a question or two.
    Beside shooting my ruger old army with black and cb and a boolit conversion cylinder, I also have a 454 raging bull 8".

My first question is will cast boolits shred at the muzzle brake and cause a problem with accuracy. If that is the case, will jacketed boolits work ok?

If there is any one that is shooting the rb please share both target load info and hunting load info as well. I prefer bp but do use 777 when b becomes hard to find.

Thanks,
    Rugermag

Boolit Master

no they will shoot great. i have a 44 with the break on it no problems

+1 my Bull likes cast just fine
    Is this a......what day is this??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rugermag View Post
    Hi Fellow shooters, men and woman. This is my first post as I just joined last night. Already I have a question or two.
    Beside shooting my ruger old army with black and cb and a boolit conversion cylinder, I also have a 454 raging bull 8".

My first question is will cast boolits shred at the muzzle brake and cause a problem with accuracy. If that is the case, will jacketed boolits work ok?

If there is any one that is shooting the rb please share both target load info and hunting load info as well. I prefer bp but do use 777 when b becomes hard to find.

Thanks,
    Rugermag
    Are you saying that you want to shoot BP and a round ball down the 454 Casull Raging Bull?

Boolit Mold

R B info

Rob, No . I want to shoot cast boolits in a cartridge in the RB with black or 777. Looking for some load info as my first question was answered.
    Thanks all,
    Rugermag

dont know what the capacity is with your cartridge but the answer is universal...being this...

for pistol cases...meassure your length of boolit that will be inside your case.

now that you have the space meassured for the boolit ...take your blackpowder and either use a drop tube or sprinkle it thru a funnel slowly so it fills the case to around 1/16th inch or around .063 inch above the place where the base of the boolit is going to be seated to.

now if you are going to use a wad of any kind then make room for the wad in your final powder portion...by adding the thickness of the wad to your in-case meassurement for your powder fill.

after you get this amount of powder in the case then double check your math to be sure you are where you want to be....so the two meassurments being the thickness of your wad plus the amount of boolit inside the case...this is the fill meassurement minus the added amount for compression for a starter load compression of .063 inch.

example= .340 inch of boolit that will seat inside the case
    .060 inch wad thickness
    .063 inch of powder compression
    again this is just an example of the components,,,you will substitute your measurements

take the .340 add the .060 for a sum of .400 inch...now subtract .063 from the .400 inch and end with .337 inch for a powder fill to line in the case.

now fill the case in your manner to the .337 inch level and weigh this amount of powder...do this three times with filling the case and weighing for a average for the grains of blackpowder for your starter load.

with this small amount of compression you will be able to add the wad and boolit and seat to the proper depth and crimp as ussual........walla your begining load!...oh and almost forgot...use an all natural lube for your boolits...maybe start out with some 'SPG' lube as the smokless lube will make a mess for cleanup...you probably knew this but i wanted to add it for others that may not.

lots of stuff to do after your begining load but that is for another day im bettin. have fun rugermag and be vewy carefull as this is gonna get into your blood in a very stuborn way...

also welcome to the forum...have a ball !!!

Boolit Mold
    Hey Bigted, Thanks for your explanation. I understand exactly what you mean.
    As a newcomer to this blackpowder pistol game I sure appreciate your help. No need to do things wrong and blow a gun or worse when there are guys like you
    willing to share knowledge.
    rugermag

good news rugermag. im bettin you would be very hard pressed to blow up anything resembling a shootable gun of any kind with blackpowder in any f size other then 4f . blackpowder is the wonderdrug we all been lookin for and happily found. there is no way you will ever get enough blackpowder this side of 4f that would come close to blowing up your raging bull. i dont think that a modern magnum would ever be hurt even with 4f powder.

you will notice there are a bunch of helpfull fellers here that are a bunch more knowledgable then i am on this. some been doing this for 30+ years and just about got it all figured out. just gather some thick skin so the occasional attitude dont ruffle yer feathers...its all in good fun mostly and great info most of the time.

again welcome and have fun