Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: 45/70

45/70

I loaded some 45/70 today. They were loaded with lyman 457132 and when I loaded them into the rifle the rifling was engraved into the bullet. How far should I go below the rifling. They were loaded with 50grns of RS and a .060 wad.

Quote Originally Posted by tbierley View Post
    I loaded some 45/70 today. They were loaded with lyman 457132 and when I loaded them into the rifle the rifling was engraved into the bullet. How far should I go below the rifling. They were loaded with 50grns of RS and a .060 wad.
    According to Lymen's black powder loading book that bullet take 60gr of Pyrodex RS, no wad and OAL 2.930. Now in case you decide to use other Black Powder with FFg in also takes 60 gr with Goex, Elephant, Pyrodex Select.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    and OAL 2.930.
    That number kinda loses it's meaning if he is using a different bullet shape.
    Which bullet dot the Lyman manual indicate?

Personally, I see no problem if the bullet is engraved at loading.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

That number kinda loses it's meaning if he is using a different bullet shape.
    Which bullet dot the Lyman manual indicate?

Personally, I see no problem if the bullet is engraved at loading.

CM
    Same bullet as your lyman a 457132. It is listed in the Lyman Black Powder Handbook and Loading Manual 2nd Ed. on page 132 and says it is 535 gr bullet (#2 Alloy) with a 2.930 OAL. Now if you like I will scan it and send it if you pm me your email address.

Boolit Bub
    Many cast bullets shoot well, when loaded to touch the rifling. I like to be able to close the rifle, without forcing the loaded round into the chamber.

Jim

Boolit Master
    When loading with BP, you will find that if the cartridge engages the rifling then with the next shot the fouling will not allow you to chamber the following rounds unless you swab the chamber/barrel. Not the best in a hunting situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    When loading with BP, you will find that if the cartridge engages the rifling then with the next shot the fouling will not allow you to chamber the following rounds unless you swab the chamber/barrel. Not the best in a hunting situation.
    there is a proviso to this statement tho...think lube cookies. i shoot 45-70 and 45-120 with these wonderfull cookies and also load my boolits to engrave the rifling AND still am able to shoot repeatedly up to 20 rounds so far without wiping nor any fouling control. i love these loads with the cookies in both greesers and patched boolits. i desire the repeatable loading for the same reason...hunting. still when i clean the cleanup is fast and easy as the fouling is soft and easy to shove outta the barrel.

for this very reason i have been debating running my 45-70 chambers out to 2.4 [45-90] or 2.6 [45-100] length as i dont have enough room in the short 2.1 [45-70] case to use a desireable charge of powder and the cookie without bulging the case...both remington and winchester cases.